Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

I don’t think the admin ever wanted to fire Woody, buying him out after 3 seasons would have been a complete embarrassment! But I do believe that they were seriously thinking about it, and had we lost these last three games or even two of the last three he might have been replaced. But the team did seem to rally around him and I think the announcement is being made now in case we lose the next game and exit the tournament in one game….it would be tough to make the same announcement if that happens.

I don’t see this changing much, Woodson will get one more, if it looks anything like the first three he will be gone at the end of next season. Dolson was in a tough spot, I don’t totally blame him, I still support the team and the program and I believe there is still a good chance we get a home run hire, it’s just going to take an extra year! In the meantime, if the team continues to play the way they are now, IU may not be such an easy out in the BTT!

10 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

No IU games for me next year and probably not for a while 

10 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Me either. Time for other hobbies in the winter

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I’ll be watching every game and cheering my @$$ off for my Indiana Hoosiers. That was never and will never be in doubt.

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You (and the rest of us) will be waiting forever for that to happen. 

And we should already know they'll look for every excuse in the book to bring him for a fifth barring, maybe, a completely horrid season.

11 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Next year's starting lineup: 

G: Liam McNeeley
G: TBD
C: TBD
F: TBD
F: TBD

First off bench: TBD
Second off bench: TBD 
Third off bench: TBD

Yay! A rental team!

As Jerry Seinfeld called it: "Rooting for Laundry"

1 hour ago, RoadRage said:

I don’t think the admin ever wanted to fire Woody, buying him out after 3 seasons would have been a complete embarrassment! But I do believe that they were seriously thinking about it, and had we lost these last three games or even two of the last three he might have been replaced. But the team did seem to rally around him and I think the announcement is being made now in case we lose the next game and exit the tournament in one game….it would be tough to make the same announcement if that happens.

I don’t see this changing much, Woodson will get one more, if it looks anything like the first three he will be gone at the end of next season. Dolson was in a tough spot, I don’t totally blame him, I still support the team and the program and I believe there is still a good chance we get a home run hire, it’s just going to take an extra year! In the meantime, if the team continues to play the way they are now, IU may not be such an easy out in the BTT!

Looks like we’ll be an 8/9 seed.  IF we win that game, we get blown out by Purdue Friday morning.  Whoopie.  

13 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Looks like we’ll be an 8/9 seed.  IF we win that game, we get blown out by Purdue Friday morning.  Whoopie.  

If we win Sunday, I believe we are opposite of Purdue.

4 minutes ago, HoosierTownie said:

If we win Sunday we'll get the NCAA automatic ... oh wait, you meant this Sunday.  My bad, started to get my hopes up...lol

Hell, who knows, the way we are playing now we might win on that Sunday too!

Why on Earth, if you want to talk about Indiana college hoops, would you enlist Doug Gottleib? 

The only thing I agree with is that Alford would've made more sense than Woody. But so would have a hundred other guys. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/will-steve-alford-be-indiana-s-next-head-coach/vi-BB1jrCA3?ocid=socialshare&cvid=9ba5df65bef849bb88a6cff35c21e5bf&ei=14#details

On 2/14/2024 at 10:02 AM, Stuhoo said:

I think

• 2-5 or worse will significantly ramp up the "Fire" narrative,
  • 5-2 or better will significantly eliminate the "Fire" narrative, 
  • 3-4 or 4-3 will give Woody some real pause for returning and may prompt "Retire," but won't set his seat on fire.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:04 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That was kinda my thoughts on extrapolating it out too. That’s why I thought it was important to state.  The staff still says a lot of the season left. And there is in some ways but when tourney hopes are dashed the season is over for many. 

3-2 since then.

Now we are getting the media fluff. Getting all the IU accounts to be all fake optimistic and everything. Zach Osterman says we should give these guys credit... I'm not giving a team credit for anything if they miss the NCAA tourney and especially missing the NIT. You don't deserve any credit. Absolute joke of a program.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

3-2 since then.

The range of emotional outcomes here is still pretty wide. If they beat MSU and get 1 in the B1G tournament so they finish the year winning 5 of 6 and end up 19-14, that excites no one, but it manages to skirt trainwreck status and gives you a little something to build on going forward, though I’m sure there are those who will disagree. But if you get run out of the place Sunday and lose game 1 in the tournament, so you’re 17-16 and losing a 1st rd draft pick, yeah, that would be inarguably gross going into portal season. 

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

The range of emotional outcomes here is still pretty wide. If they beat MSU and get 1 in the B1G tournament so they finish the year winning 5 of 6 and end up 19-14, that excites no one, but it manages to skirt trainwreck status and gives you a little something to build on going forward, though I’m sure there are those who will disagree. But if you get run out of the place Sunday and lose game 1 in the tournament, so you’re 17-16 and losing a 1st rd draft pick, yeah, that would be inarguably gross going into portal season. 

Yea I'm not sure how anyone can spin that missing the NIT should get people excited for next season.

42 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

3-2 since then.

3-3* (losses to NW, NE, PSU). But either way, about what I expected.

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

Agreed. There is still a long way to go in the "narrative" of this season despite only being a few games left. Kinda like OSU last year went on a tear at the end and got to the semis of the BTT, so it looked like they had turned things around. Of course Holtmann was still fired this year.

On the other hand, these three games could mean nothing in a week when we lose out. We will all be even more pissed than when the news dropped last night.

I simply can't make sense of this. There must be something we don't know. The loss of revenue next year alone will be significant. Plus the $1M per year burn to buy him out. Plus 1 recruit coming in. All signs point to a change. There must be something we don't know....there's simply no logic here.