Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

19 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

So you still haven't answered as to who should have been shooting more 3's last year? Again, typical but expected. The offense was tailored to the personnel.  You can't, or better yet, you refuse to answer the question because we both know the answer: bad shooting teams shouldn't shoot more. It's like saying a triple option team should pass 40 times a game.

It was his friggin' inept shooting personnel. And as for comparing IU's  offense to the triple option, we agree, Woodrow runs as archaic an offense as the Naval Academy, at least they have an excuse as to why they don't recruit athletes fit for the modern version of the sport.

5 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

It was his friggin' inept shooting personnel. And as for comparing IU's  offense to the triple option, we agree, Woodrow runs as archaic an offense as the Naval Academy, at least they have an excuse as to why they don't recruit athletes fit for the modern version of the sport.

I think IU has the best and most versatile roster in the B10 top to bottom this year. We shall see.

6 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

SO less than a B1G championship would be an underachievement in coaching?

I'm not going to say win a B10 championship or else because there's so many different variables that go into winning one, but yes, I will be extremely disappointed if we aren't in contention throughout. 

13 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I'm not going to say win a B10 championship or else because there's so many different variables that go into winning one, but yes, I will be extremely disappointed if we aren't in contention throughout. 

Barring major injury to a  key player, what other variables are there? Injury is the only variable for which the coaching staff is not responsible.

Short a major injury, you should expect no less than a championship. He's got the "best" roster, the one"most versatile" to adapting to other teams.

Please list just a few of these " so many" variables that would  be outside of Woodrow's province that would forgive a middling B1G season.

13 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Barring major injury to a  key player, what other variables are there? Injury is the only variable for which the coaching staff is not responsible.

Short a major injury, you should expect no less than a championship. He's got the "best" roster, the one"most versatile" to adapting to other teams.

Please list just a few of these " so many" variables that would  be outside of Woodrow's province that would forgive a middling B1G season.

Injury as you alluded too is one. Imbalanced schedules are another, not all schedules are created equally in a 20 team league. And a middling season wouldn't see the Hoosiers in contention for a B10 title. That'd be something like 11-9, 10-10 which I stated in my previous post would be highly disappointing and unacceptable. 

Look, I'm not irrational like most people in this thread. If IU goes 16-4 in the B10 and God forbid a team like UCLA goes 17-3 and wins it by a game my initial reaction isn't going to be, "FiRE MIkE WOoDSoN". I'm going to tip my hat to UCLA and look forward to the tournament as a 2 or 3 seed. If that's your initial reaction (which I have no doubt it will be), I'll take great satisfaction knowing how miserable you'll be for another offseason. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I really don't think Woody was afraid to "recruit over" anyone with our guards last year. 

Instead, I think Woody vastly overestimated the abilities of the guards he had, and suffered because of that.

I can buy that too!

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Injury as you alluded too is one. Imbalanced schedules are another, not all schedules are created equally in a 20 team league. And a middling season wouldn't see the Hoosiers in contention for a B10 title. That'd be something like 11-9, 10-10 which I stated in my previous post would be highly disappointing and unacceptable. 

Look, I'm not irrational like most people in this thread. If IU goes 16-4 in the B10 and God forbid a team like UCLA goes 17-3 and wins it by a game my initial reaction isn't going to be, "FiRE MIkE WOoDSoN". I'm going to tip my hat to UCLA and look forward to the tournament as a 2 or 3 seed. If that's your initial reaction (which I have no doubt it will be), I'll take great satisfaction knowing how miserable you'll be for another offseason. 

Sorry to disappoint you but 16-4 and a record worthy of a 2 seed isn't disappointing anyone in this thread that wants to see MW gone.

What's more likely if IU would go 25-6 and fire MW fans being disappointed or 20-11(13-7) finishing 5th in the B1G and the excuse makers making excuses?

That is an easy one. I mean you are already paving the way for excusing the "best and most versatile roster" in the B1G to underachieve because they lose to better lesser talented teams than school _____X_________.

Oh and your so many variables is literally one thing which should be insignificant given that IU has the "best and most versatile  roster."

7 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Sorry to disappoint you but 16-4 and a record worthy of a 2 seed isn't disappointing anyone in this thread that wants to see MW gone.

What's more likely if IU would go 25-6 and fire MW fans being disappointed or 20-11(13-7) finishing 5th in the B1G and the excuse makers making excuses?

That is an easy one. I mean you are already paving the way for excusing the "best and most versatile roster" in the B1G to underachieve because they lose to better lesser talented teams than school _____X_________.

Oh and your so many variables is literally one thing which should be insignificant given that IU has the "best and most versatile  roster."

Going 20-11 would be highly disappointing given we lost 3-4 non-conference games. I think the floor is 22 wins this year. But this is a 25+ win team that I believe will challenge for a B10 title all year and be a top 4 seed in the dance.

If IU goes 20-11 and flames early in the tournament, it's perfectly fine to have that talk with Woodson. But it has to happen first.  

22 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Going 20-11 would be highly disappointing given we lost 3-4 non-conference games. I think the floor is 22 wins this year. But this is a 25+ win team that I believe will challenge for a B10 title all year and be a top 4 seed in the dance.

If IU goes 20-11 and flames early in the tournament, it's perfectly fine to have that talk with Woodson. But it has to happen first.  

The floor is 22 wins? That seems pretty low for what we're being told is such a great team. Is that just the regular season or the total wins including the post season tournaments? 

low-bar-pnw1pehoz64ei2h27dsq5f54vumvka1mytn25wpxs0.jpeg

Woody can win 19 games with ...

• Leal,
  • Cupps,
  • Gunn,
  • X (for 20 of 33 games), and
  • Galloway

... as his guards, so apparently coaching was not the problem. Roster construction was the problem in a very big way. 

If he cannot win 25 withMyles Rice, Kanaan Carlyle, Gallo, Newton, Cupps, and Leal now as his guards? Then coaching can be identified as the problem.

8 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

The floor is 22 wins? That seems pretty low for what we're being told is such a great team. Is that just the regular season or the total wins including the post season tournaments? 

low-bar-pnw1pehoz64ei2h27dsq5f54vumvka1mytn25wpxs0.jpeg

Regular season. Would likely net a 6 or 7 seed. Not good enough.

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• Leal,
  • Cupps,
  • Gunn,
  • Galloway

... as his guards, so apparently coaching was not the problem. Roster construction was the problem in a very big way. 

If he cannot win 25 withMyles Rice, Kanaan Carlyle, Gallo, Newton, Cupps, and Leal now as his guards? Then coaching can be identified as the problem.

I agree, 25 wins is the floor, IMO.  This team is deeper and should have much better guard play and he should be able to match up to teams better with this roster.  The only real weakness depth wise is the center position but if he uses them right, that shouldn’t be a problem 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

If IU goes 20-11 and flames early in the tournament, it's worth a talk?  LTFOL

The only talk if that were to come to pass is to which senior country club community do you want your checks sent.

2 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

If IU goes 20-11 and flames early in the tournament, it's worth a talk?  LTFOL

The only talk if that were to come to pass is to which senior country club community do you want your checks sent.

That's exactly what "having that talk" means. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

• Leal,
  • Cupps,
  • Gunn,
  • Galloway

Not sure that in any way makes a positive statement about his coaching prowess. 8 of those 19 wins were against bad to horrible programs, 3 against the 26th ranked A-Sun conference lower tier teams,( Heard they may consider making IU an Honorary member). They went 11-14 against top 150 schools with only 2 of those losses by less than 8 point no doubters, while 10 of their 19 wins were by 6 or less, a 1 point squeaker over Moorehead State and a 6 point near disaster win in the season opener against FGCU.

IU eeked out wins against mediocre and bad teams and were blown out repeatedly by good teams, I mean FFS they lost to Nebraska 268-206 on the season.

The other thing is they started the season against FGCU playing 3 guards and looked lost.  We have no idea if Woodrow even knows how to draw up and coach a capable small lineup offense.

26 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not sure that in any way makes a positive statement about his coaching prowess. 8 of those 19 wins were against bad to horrible programs, 3 against the 26th ranked A-Sun conference lower tier teams,( Heard they may consider making IU an Honorary member). They went 11-14 against top 150 schools with only 2 of those losses by less than 8 point no doubters, while 10 of their 19 wins were by 6 or less, a 1 point squeaker over Moorehead State and a 6 point near disaster win in the season opener against FGCU.

IU eeked out wins against mediocre and bad teams and were blown out repeatedly by good teams, I mean FFS they lost to Nebraska 268-206 on the season.

The other thing is they started the season against FGCU playing 3 guards and looked lost.  We have no idea if Woodrow even knows how to draw up and coach a capable small lineup offense.

Makes perfectly good sense. Won 19 games while hamstrung with one of the worst backcourts in major college basketball. Not only is that not the case this year, the backcourt and wing play is actually the strength of this team. 

48 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

And yet the year before when he had one really good guard it was soooooo much better.