Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

50 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

You'd be okay with a 5-7 seed? You said that this roster dwarfs that of the team which got a 4 seed. Seems like a 4 seed should be the floor of acceptable seeding and he should be shown the door if they can't get at least that.

The expectations the pumpers are putting out do not align with how they’re characterizing this off-season, I.e., that Woodson did so awesome and knocked it our of the park. The expectations should be a 1, 2, or, at worst, a 3 seed. They don’t want to set the expectations too high, though, because they know Woodson isn’t a good enough coach to meet high expectations. So, they temper them so they can then turn around and advocate for keeping Woodson next year because hey, he set the mediocre expectations we set. 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The expectations the pumpers are putting out do not align with how they’re characterizing this off-season, I.e., that Woodson did so awesome and knocked it our of the park. The expectations should be a 1, 2, or, at worst, a 3 seed. They don’t want to set the expectations too high, though, because they know Woodson isn’t a good enough coach to meet high expectations. So, they temper them so they can then turn around and advocate for keeping Woodson next year because hey, he set the mediocre expectations we set. 

Lol.

I literally posted my expectations for the season. I also answered what I thought would warrant a termination. Ultimately, it's not an either/or situation. Would I be happy with a 6-7 seed? Probably not. Would I act like a child and yell "Fire Woodson" in every post for 3+ months? I don't think I would. My expectations for this upcoming have nothing to do with the direction Indiana ultimately goes in regards to Woodson. I just know he's not getting fired if he's a 5 or 6 seed in the coming tournament. 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Compete for a B10 championship and make the 2nd weekend of the tournament. From there, anything can happen. 

Missing the tournament altogether should be an automatic termination. Underachieving throughout the regular season and losing in R1 as an 8-12 seed and I'd probably agree that it's time to move on. 

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Lol.

I literally posted my expectations for the season. I also answered what I thought would warrant a termination. Ultimately, it's not an either/or situation. Would I be happy with a 6-7 seed, probably not. Would I act like a child and yell "Fire Woodson" with every post for 3+ months? I don't think I would. My expectations for this upcoming have nothing to do with the direction Indiana ultimately does in regards to Woodson. 

Instead, you’ll be in here yelling at all the people saying Fire Woodson like you have been for the past 3+ months.

Like I said, set the expectations low enough that even Mike Woodson can meet them. There’s no reason the expectations shouldn’t be higher than what the 2022/2023 team did. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Instead, you’ll be in here yelling at all the people saying Fire Woodson like you have been for the past 3+ months.

Like I said, set the expectations low enough that even Mike Woodson can meet them. There’s no reason the expectations shouldn’t be higher than what the 2022/2023 team did. 

Wow....reading isn't your thing is it? I was asked a simple question

4 hours ago, Juwan Moye said:

Fair enough, I’ll rephrase:

For the people defending Woodson, what should expectations be for the season? What is good enough where he should be our coach for the following year versus what should get him fired?

I answered it. Competing for a B10 championship should net a 1-4 seed with that seed ultimately depending on how strong the conference is and how well IU performs in the non-conference. That is my expectation for the upcoming season. I don't think that's a low bar. But I'm also a realist, Mike Woodson isn't getting fired if he makes the tournament as a 5, 6 or 7 seed, just putting that to rest now. It may be enough for him to retire on a semi-high note, but no sane administration is going to fire a coach who has taken a team to the tournament in 3/4 seasons, and I don't care what school it is. It would be of my personal opinion to move on from Woodson if he misses the tournament altogether or underachieves in the regular season to the point the team receives a low seed and loses in the first round, but again my opinion alone. Never said I would be ok with a 5, 6, 7 seed as the other poster so eloquently put it, but it wouldn't put me in the Fire Woodson camp.  

Sorry to the rest if this is repetitive but hopefully your brain reciprocates this go-around.

3 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I am not a Woodson defender. I called for his firing last season like everyone else in this thread. Having said that, he is currently our coach, and he did "win" the off-season. No one can realistically say he didn't. Having said that, with this roster he needs to finish in top 4 of 5 the newly aligned conference, and at the very least Sweet 16 in NCAA, if not further.

I will support the whole team, including CMW, next year. If CMW doesn't achieve what I said above, I will once again call for his firing.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Now the expectation of a good season is finishing 4th or 5th in our conference. Wow the bar has lowered. 

22 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Wow....reading isn't your thing is it? I was asked a simple question

I answered it. Competing for a B10 championship should net a 1-4 seed with that seed ultimately depending on how strong the conference is and how well IU performs in the non-conference. That is my expectation for the upcoming season. I don't think that's a low bar. But I'm also a realist, Mike Woodson isn't getting fired if he makes the tournament as a 5, 6 or 7 seed, just putting that to rest now. It may be enough for him to retire on a semi-high note, but no sane administration is going to fire a coach who has taken a team to the tournament in 3/4 seasons, and I don't care what school it is. It would be of my personal opinion to move on from Woodson if he misses the tournament altogether or underachieves in the regular season to the point the team receives a low seed and loses in the first round, but again my opinion alone. Never said I would be ok with a 5, 6, 7 seed as the other poster so eloquently put it, but it wouldn't put me in the Fire Woodson camp.  

Sorry to the rest if this is repetitive but hopefully your brain reciprocates this go-around.

Let’s keep it simple for you. Say Mike Woodson leads IU to a 7 seed and a loss in the second round. Should that result in him being fired? 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Now the expectation of a good season is finishing 4th or 5th in our conference. Wow the bar has lowered. 

Jesus that's not all what he said.

He said finishing 4th or 5th in the conference and reaching the S16 was a bare minimum requirement. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Selection Sunday never happened. Saying he made the tourney is just guessing.

Whatever, literally every prognosticator had us in, the record and SOS was all there, but again, who gives a damn. All this pounding on CAM bc he never made the tourney, then saying no way he didn't see it was cancelled, is silly. It doesn't matter, everyone here agrees he wasn't a good coach and should've been fired.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Let’s keep it simple for you. Say Mike Woodson leads IU to a 7 seed and a loss in the second round. Should that result in him being fired? 

I wouldn't be happy but would need to know more to be swayed one way or the other. Was it against the 2 seed or a 15 seed? Were we competitive? Did we choke? Did we lose by 30? Kind of hard to put a hard benchmark requirement on such a crap shoot event such as the NCAA tournament. I'd honestly be more disappointed that we were a 7 seed over losing in the 2nd round. That's my opinion.

Best top to bottom roster we have had in Bloomington in a long, long time. The level of increase in talent on the floor for us next year is huge. 

What I think this roster has the talent to do...Big Ten Title, deep BTT run and an Elite 8 or better. The pieces are all there...on paper. Excited to see how it plays out. 

Not what I said. Maybe I wasn't eloquent enough. I sain top 4 or 5 in the newly aligned conference. I said that because there are other conference teams that also have had very good portal seasons.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Best top to bottom roster we have had in Bloomington in a long, long time. The level of increase in talent on the floor for us next year is huge. 

What I think this roster has the talent to do...Big Ten Title, deep BTT run and an Elite 8 or better. The pieces are all there...on paper. Excited to see how it plays out. 

I'm having a hard time with even the "on paper" part. I'm not saying the roster isn't vastly improved, it definitely is, but there are just so many new pieces. Having all of them fit together with the current pieces and having minimal issues is a big ask. We had less new pieces last season and sometimes they didn't seem to fit together well into the season. Lots of new personalities and styles to expect a smooth transition in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I'm having a hard time with even the "on paper" part. I'm not saying the roster isn't vastly improved, it definitely is, but there are just so many new pieces. Having all of them fit together with the current pieces and having minimal issues is a big ask. We had less new pieces last season and sometimes they didn't seem to fit together well into the season. Lots of new personalities and styles to expect a smooth transition in my opinion.

Our pieces didn't fit last year because we had zero guard play. We're at the point where we almost have too many guards. There are dozens of guard/wing combinations we can trot out next season that are all effectively better than our best combination last year. It's more than a good problem to have.