Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IMO Trey's and Anthony's comments wouldn't have been taken as badly had not Woody opened his yap.  If Woody had simply thanked the fans and the players and left everything else out, I really don't think there would be as big of a stink as has developed.  And FWIW, I don't think either one looked really comfortable when they made their comments and I felt they were not truly heartfelt but expected from them likely in light of extra NIL they were promised.

I don't think Trey said anything really inflammatory, did he? He just said he was coming back to play in the best place and for the best fans. Leal brought up fans thinking they're coaches and telling everyone to just chill -- which may have ruffled some feathers. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I would agree with that. I also think Malik wants to be the man, but is not ready to be the man yet. 

I love Malik's motor and ability, but IMO he comes across as a bit selfish at times. I mean, when he gets the ball at the low post anywhere near the basket, 9 times out of 10 his head is down and going to the hole. Team know this and prepare to dbbl and triple team him. When he begins to turn/pivot towards the basket he sometimes, lazily brings his hands down/through slower and that is where he get in trouble....

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Because I will chill when I want to chill, no one tells me to chill unless I'm eating at Chilli's. 

But in seriousness, I didn't care for his tone. But over the days I'm slowly becoming OK with it

I'm sure Anthony Leal doesn't care for the tone of many of our fans. 

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

You don't attack the fans, period.  Why is that so hard for people to understand?  

.....tell me where Leal actually attacks IU fans from what he said..... I just don't see it. If you think it's because he says "there's a reason you guys aren't coaches, so relax or .....you guys need to chill!" He is just addressing the fans to just calm down and obviously relax/chill. The part about, ...."there's a reason you guys aren't coaches", who cares! If some of you all think that was too strong or feel like being attacked, then IMO your way too sensitive. Good grief, maybe he said a little more then he anticipated, I don't know, ....but give him a little grace for sticking with this program as long as he has,  getting limited playing time AND loosing a very close friend. 

Leal, a Bloomington South graduate, said he wanted to "make something very clear."

"Adversity is part of sports," Leal said. "For those of you who are so quick to give up and call for quits and everything, there's a reason that you guys aren't coaches. So you relax. There's no other coach in the country that I would trust with anything in my life than coach Woodson. There's no other university that I would like to represent. We're going to run it back, but you guys got to chill."

7 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

.....tell me where Leal actually attacks IU fans from what he said..... I just don't see it. If you think it's because he says "there's a reason you guys aren't coaches, so relax or .....you guys need to chill!" He is just addressing the fans to just calm down and obviously relax/chill. The part about, ...."there's a reason you guys aren't coaches", who cares! If some of you all think that was too strong or like being attacked, then IMO your way too sensitive. Good grief, maybe he said a little more then he anticipated, I don't know, ....but give him a little grace for sticking with this program as long as he has,  getting limited playing time AND loosing a very close friend. 

Leal, a Bloomington South graduate, said he wanted to "make something very clear."

"Adversity is part of sports," Leal said. "For those of you who are so quick to give up and call for quits and everything, there's a reason that you guys aren't coaches. So you relax. There's no other coach in the country that I would trust with anything in my life than coach Woodson. There's no other university that I would like to represent. We're going to run it back, but you guys got to chill."

In other words, you fans don’t know ****, stfu

1 minute ago, Mopladysman said:

In other words, you fans don’t know ****, stfu

Well in some cases maybe that applies.  We were told often there would be a mass exodus of players because Woody has lost the players.  Maybe there will be an exodus or maybe Leal and the players know better and there wont.  

Several on here went after X hard.  He should have been kicked off the team, he is terrible etc.  Maybe Leal sees what he brings and knows better.  

I am not bothered by the fact that the 7th - 10th player on the roster sticks up for his coach and tells us to chill.  

Just now, 8bucks said:

Well in some cases maybe that applies.  We were told often there would be a mass exodus of players because Woody has lost the players.  Maybe there will be an exodus or maybe Leal and the players know better and there wont.  

Several on here went after X hard.  He should have been kicked off the team, he is terrible etc.  Maybe Leal sees what he brings and knows better.  

I am not bothered by the fact that the 7th - 10th player on the roster sticks up for his coach and tells us to chill.  

I can't honestly believe it's still a discussion. I can understand what @Class of '66 Old Fart is saying in regards to Woodson and Leal's speeches being grouped, but AL's words bothering a grown adult.. meh. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

If you look at this photo someone else posted there are actually 2 options for MR besides the one he chose - to drive.  KW has great post position and should be option 1 but sneaky little Leal is in a great spot for a back cut and with Ware sealing his man he might have had an easy layup

1825568505_Screenshot2024-03-158_49_47AM.png.8ceeddf700c472741b3b53c66e72117b.png

Agree, but assuming a Leal back cut, and Ware's position already, getting the ball to the rim is not a bad choice either because you have Ware and Leal in offensive rebounding position for either a putback or drawing a foul.

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm sure Anthony Leal doesn't care for the tone of many of our fans. 

Not sure this applies to Leal, but I listened and watched player comments from another program recently and it sounds like many players are encouraged more and more by coaching staffs to ignore any "outside negative noise" if it exists. So based on his comments he is not silencing outside chatter.  I'm thankful and proud of him and others on this IU team to continue to grow and execute through the adversity during the last five games.

15 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

.....tell me where Leal actually attacks IU fans from what he said..... I just don't see it. If you think it's because he says "there's a reason you guys aren't coaches, so relax or .....you guys need to chill!" He is just addressing the fans to just calm down and obviously relax/chill. The part about, ...."there's a reason you guys aren't coaches", who cares! If some of you all think that was too strong or like being attacked, then IMO your way too sensitive. Good grief, maybe he said a little more then he anticipated, I don't know, ....but give him a little grace for sticking with this program as long as he has,  getting limited playing time AND loosing a very close friend. 

How about this:

"Adversity is a part of sports.  And we as a team have to fight through it.  Guys like X are doing everything he can to fight thru his injuries and get back on the court to make a contribution.  I see him everyday in the training room and he's put together with athletic tape and ice.  Coach Woodson has us united and going in the right direction with 4 straight wins.  Guys like Ware are playing out of their mind.  There is no other coach . . . There is no other university that I would like to represent.  It's time for the greatest fans in college basketball to jump on board the bus and help us get to the promised land."  

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

How about this:

"Adversity is a part of sports.  And we as a team have to fight through it.  Guys like X are doing everything he can to fight thru his injuries and get back on the court to make a contribution.  I see him everyday in the training room and he's put together with athletic tape and ice.  Coach Woodson has us united and going in the right direction with 4 straight wins.  Guys like Ware are playing out of their mind.  There is no other coach . . . There is no other university that I would like to represent.  It's time for the greatest fans in college basketball to jump on board the bus and help us get to the promised land."  

I agree that first part would have been great but some would have taken exception to him telling them they need to get on the bus.

"Who the **ll is he to tell us which bus to get on?"

"I was on that f.....n bus before he was born"

"Why didnt that lazy, selfish ego laden coach get them playing all year?"

"Sure he likes that bus that NIL $ paid for"

"I want a brand new bus"

53 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Leal's speech doesn't upset me very much (I do think the tone could have been better) but he was taking queues from his coach and I believe a lot of the "true fan" narrative is also related to treatment of Xavier, so also sticking up for his teammate. I like having a guy like that in the locker room even if it means adopting an "us against the world" mindset that a lot of fans may find off-putting. Woodson's speech is another topic but I've cooled off a lot about Leal. 

I said before I don’t really care that much about Leals comments, it’s whatever he was emotional. Poor taste for someone who profits off fan support. That’s it. The cues were taken from the coach, which is why in some ways I think the vitriol aimed at Leal is somewhat misguided. If people don’t like his comments, the anger should probably be directed at Woody, the leader, not Leal. Just my opinion a few days removed from it.

I’ll push back some on the Xavier thing though, for the most part, any grief he’s gotten has been warranted throughout the season. It was not that long ago he pulled a Draymond on someone and Don Fischer was “embarrassed.” He didn’t miss a single game after that incident. But, again, it’s on the leader at least in part.