Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Archie Miller Assessment Thread

Just now, str8baller said:

He plays slow and feeds the post on offense. Everyone here knows you can’t win that way :)

with guys from Indiana.   You can't build a program like that.  LOL

31 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I have heard those same things but if you look at where we are we have only made the Touney 2 times in the last ??? years.  We got a guy right now that is old enough to be his dad, and we have some who would bring back Sampson in the name of winning.  If you know your limitation as we did when we hired CMW then we could put the same type of GM in place to help with areas, we think he lacks. 

Not saying he is the man just saying we have done way worse based on the standards we are holding him to, IMO.

I just think you can aim higher, even within that archetype. We should be wiser than to assume he’ll be amazing just because he went to IU, that’s not some secret sauce.

30 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I think you're mostly right about Alford.  That window is now closed. I don't think Alford would have attracted out-of-state top 30 guys like Woodson has.  However, I do think about 20 years ago, he would have dominated in-state recruiting. Alford would have been a consistent winner at IU, but the Sweet 16 is about his ceiling. 

As a person who was in high school 20 years ago, I don’t think he would’ve been some special recruiter. My classmates and teammates hadn’t watched him play.

He would’ve made our parents happy, I guess.

I have heard those same things but if you look at where we are we have only made the Touney 2 times in the last ??? years.  We got a guy right now that is old enough to be his dad, and we have some who would bring back Sampson in the name of winning.  If you know your limitation as we did when we hired CMW then we could put the same type of GM in place to help with areas, we think he lacks. 

Not saying he is the man just saying we have done way worse based on the standards we are holding him to, IMO.

After another year of Woodson alford may be the best we can do. This program will be a mess next spring.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

And I guarantee you Woodson had way more talent than any of those other teams.  Tells you how bad of a coach he is

And the B1G was much worse as a conference this year as well. 

17 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

We will never know so it don't matter! I would bet a ton though if the hire was alford and not mediocre mike we would be rolling right now. He is a he'll of a coach. He wouldn't need nba guys in his corner as I believe his indiana ties would have helped in recruiting. Now back to firing Mike woodson!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t go as far as to call him a hell of a coach, but he’s definitely better than Woodson and would likely have above average results here. Probably similar to at UCLA. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I would remove Tony Bennett and Bruce Pearl from the list for next year. Probably even Scott Drew just because it sounds like Louisville made him a generous offer and he said no if Dusty gets the job.

No way IU goes after Will Wade even though everything he did is legal now. 

Just not sure what are choices are. 

He's probably one job away from being ready, but I know for a fact Samford's coach Bucky McMillan wants to coach a blue blood program and would take the IU job in a heartbeat.  He plays a fun brand of attacking basketball on offense and defense, and can really coach and recruit. He also won numerous large school state titles at a high school that had never been very good in basketball.  Just a flat out winner.   If they pull a couple upsets, he could become a hot name.

If Jerry Yeagley's post is correct, it sounds like the BoT is "only interested in a homerun hire" (and that may be a super long shot), so it would seem dreaming or speculating about coaches who don't meet that may not be worthwhile. 

I'm not knocking anyone's ideas, I like hearing other perspectives and thinking outside the box. Just saying, it would seem only "homerun hires" would fit he bill.

3 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

If Jerry Yeagley's post is correct, it sounds like the BoT is "only interested in a homerun hire" (and that may be a super long shot), so it would seem dreaming or speculating about coaches who don't meet that may not be worthwhile. 

I'm not knocking anyone's ideas, I like hearing other perspectives and thinking outside the box. Just saying, it would seem only "homerun hires" would fit he bill.

He said a homerun hire for a move this year. Not next year.

5 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

But what is the BoT idea of home run hire?  What are the boxes to check off for them?

Just now, 68Hoosier said:

But what is the BoT idea of home run hire?  What are the boxes to check off for them?

That's a great question. IMO, they can't even evaluate the current coach properly or he would be gone already.

2 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Yes, agree. This year is what I was referring to, as a super long shot, if any at all.

I'm having trouble drumming up enough interest now (after the 'decision' to keep Woodson) to think about enjoying the postseason, the portaling season, or next year. Pretty much totally deflated and lost all interest since the shockingly inept occurred.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

The way it was explained to me is a proven Power 5 head coach. Someone who has won and won at a high level for a long time. 

That is completely delusional.  Someone who has done that probably isn't interested in the IU job.  Who would even fit that description?  Pearl and ?????  Would Painter?     

2 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

I'm having trouble drumming up enough interest now (after the 'decision' to keep Woodson) to think about enjoying the postseason, the portaling season, or next year. Pretty much totally deflated and lost all interest since the shockingly inept occurred.

I guess I have college basketball on "ignore" until Woodson is gone. Maybe it's a defense mechanism to protect myself.