Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Go get a win-now, no nonsense, confident-cocky coach for the love of god.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
Nah, we're good with a "meh... we're in the thick of things, shake your head constantly, who gives a $&!t" coach

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Get what you are saying to a point, but… if there is such a great sense of angst then wouldn’t it be more prudent to get guys who are going to help immediately rather than high school guys who might take some time to be competitive?

You have to do both.  With the number he is looking to replace, you need the HS kids plus a couple of immediate impact players from the portal.  He has recruited like chit.  

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

You have to do both.  With the number he is looking to replace, you need the HS kids plus a couple of immediate impact players from the portal.  He has recruited like chit.  

I agree on doing both, if he has the time to develop the high school guys. He has brought in multiple 5 star guys and re-recruited an All-American. Not sure how you define recruiting but in my opinion it has not been “chit”

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

I agree on doing both, if he has the time to develop the high school guys. He has brought in multiple 5 star guys and re-recruited an All-American. Not sure how you define recruiting but in my opinion it has not been “chit”

Read my posts above.  Needed 3-4 this year. Has 1.  That’s chit.  

In terms of recruiting, it seems like the answer is somewhere in the middle. Getting TJD on board was huge, as was landing JHS, Ware, and Reneau. Same could be said for Cupps and Mgbako (I believe both will be good college players, but jury is still out). 

The bad is strikingly similar to Crean. Finishes 2nd place in lots of recruitments, very boom or bust. This leads to inconsistent roster building and imbalance. We have yet to see Woody take players with only DIII offers, but I believe that's because he thinks he can do better. Has not consistently proven it. 

16 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Agreed.. you HAVE to build a base.. complement that base with gets from the portal... if the portal is your Plan A, you're already screwed.

9 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Read my posts above.  Needed 3-4 this year. Has 1.  That’s chit.  

Read my post. If you think he needs to save his job, he’s not pursuing recruits. If he needs to win ASAP then he’s going to get portal guys 

3 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

In terms of recruiting, it seems like the answer is somewhere in the middle. Getting TJD on board was huge, as was landing JHS, Ware, and Reneau. Same could be said for Cupps and Mgbako (I believe both will be good college players, but jury is still out). 

The bad is strikingly similar to Crean. Finishes 2nd place in lots of recruitments, very boom or bust. This leads to inconsistent roster building and imbalance. We have yet to see Woody take players with only DIII offers, but I believe that's because he thinks he can do better. Has not consistently proven it. 

First two years where decent, given the circumstances.  By year 3 you should be on a roll and it’s not even close to being good.  

2 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Read my post. If you think he needs to save his job, he’s not pursuing recruits. If he needs to win ASAP then he’s going to get portal guys 

It doesn’t matter.  Portal players don’t guarantee wins.  And there is no evidence he can succeed at that level in the portal.  

He need to line up the recruits during his first two years.  He failed.