Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

52 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This is a great point. I mentioned in another thread that we seem to have a higher success rate with players who aren't setting dates to have all eyes on them when they reveal their choice. I don't recall Braden Smith or Fletcher Loyer publicly announcing their intentions to go to Purdue, unless I'm misremembering. I can't actually think of any Purdue player who held a press conference and put on a hat to say they were going there. Maybe we need to recruit more like them? 

100% a great point!  

4 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

In article from the Indy Star that Loaded Chicken posted about Mullins decision, he mentioned Walsh several times.  And in that article he mentioned Hurley many times but never once mentioned Woodson once. That was the difference, he liked Walsh but Hurley’s involvement was greater than Walshes involvement because he’s the head coach.  Woodson’s lack of putting in the leg work or being totally involved is the major problem!  The fact that he has the the attitude that Mike Woodson don’t go to you but you come to Mike Woodson Is also a major problem too!   Scott Dolson will certainly have his work cut out for him this next year because everyone knows it’s time for a change no matter how good this team produces this year 

You’re overthinking it.

Woody. Will. Retire.

See! Simple.

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You’re overthinking it.

Woody. Will. Retire.

See! Simple.

If Woody’s going to retire then they should announce it now so that I can enjoy this season without the looming threat of future Woody seasons clouding the year. It’s not like it’ll have a negative impact on high school recruiting given his recent results. 

8 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

At this point Stevens hasn’t coached college basketball in more than a decade and hasn’t coached basketball at all for 3+ seasons. I’m not convinced he’s be the savior people make him out to be. We need a grinder like Coach Cig who lives and breathes his sport. 

I'm not confident that Stevens will ever come to IU, but if he did, I'm highly confident he'd win big. I don't think there is a better.coach out there, Hurley included.

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You seem quite sure about this.  It does kinda feel that way, but you seem more confident than I’d expect.   I hope Woody goes out on a good note, if so.  

Sometimes people learn stuff and they don't want to reveal the source; this isn't that scenario. It's not like I'm discussing it over lunch with Dolson and Buckner.

However, it just that it makes too much sense. In every single way:

• For Dolson,
  • For Whitten,
  • For the big money boosters,
  • With the buyout terms as of next March,
  • With the lack of recruits that would decommit - in fact, a new coach would likely generate more high school recruits for next year and I'm pretty certain that with the right choice Sisley would be more in than he already is,
  • With the ability to quickly rebuild given the portal landscape
  • With Woody's age,
  • With Woody's almost assured ability to go out on good terms, because this roster is going to win plenty enough,
  • Now that we will have given Woody his 'no quick dismissal' treatment.

It all works so, so well.

8 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If Woody’s going to retire then they should announce it now so that I can enjoy this season without the looming threat of future Woody seasons clouding the year. It’s not like it’ll have a negative impact on high school recruiting given his recent results. 

I wouldn’t mind if an Indy Star article dropped citing “a source in the athletic department” that Woody won’t be back next year. In the same way there was the surprise “announcement” he’d be coming back at the end of last season… just a vengeful fantasy though, won’t happen 

32 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good note, bad note, so-so note.  I no longer care.  Just go.  This year's lack of recruiting success pretty much did it for me after it was stated many times by people close to the program the staff didn't want to have to rely on the portal for next season.  But here we are with a single recruit and the probability of landing any 1 of our 3 remaining targeted offers - Ament, Brown or Tiller - is somewhere between slim and none.  Might need to change our name from Indiana Hoosiers to Indiana ATMs.

The high school recruits; Haralson, Mullins, Ament, Tiller, Brown, and Sisley, were all looking for a sizable payday too. That's not really part of the equation for me - that's just the way it is in college basketball. 

The market generally determines the NIL price, and thereafter the player goes to the school and staff that the player and his family feel most connected with. So Sisley would have had a 75th ranked player NIL from multiple schools, but he's been a lifelong Hoosier fan. A kid like Jacobsen on 'holier-than-thou' Purdue? Without market price NIL he wouldn't be there. So among his comparable NIL options? He liked Painter.

NIL doesn't bother me - in fact it has contributed to players staying in college and getting degrees far more than pre-NIL era. But losing out when the NIL is appropriate because players don't want to commit to this staff is a big problem.

1 hour ago, IU Prof said:

I'm not confident that Stevens will ever come to IU, but if he did, I'm highly confident he'd win big. I don't think there is a better.coach out there, Hurley included.

Stevens is far enough removed from college, and coaching, I don't think he'd be as close of a sure thing as he used to be. That said, he'd still be a better hire than Woodson was.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Sometimes people learn stuff and they don't want to reveal the source; this isn't that scenario. It's not like I'm discussing it over lunch with Dolson and Buckner.

• For Dolson,
  • For Whitten,
  • With the lack of recruits that would decommit - in fact, a new coach would likely generate more high school recruits for next year and I'm pretty certain that with the right choice Sisley would be more in than he already is,
  • With Woody's age,
  • With Woody's almost assured ability to go out on good terms, because this roster is going to win plenty enough,

You're forgetting Woody's massive ego.  He's going nowhere voluntarily until he wins a natty.

23 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

You're forgetting Woody's massive ego.  He's going nowhere voluntarily until he wins a natty.

And if you're right?

I fully expect him to be allowed to "retire" gracefully so that he is not dismissed. And if he rejects that option then get dismissed.

That is the most common employment practice in the world when someone is beloved by the organization but it's irrefutably time for them to move on.

29 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Yes, he has a massive ego but there is one thing that is being overlooked but you and others. The raise he got didn't include an extension. That means that after this year, he has 2 years left on his contract. In college, unlike the pros, that is extend or let go decision time. All Dolson has to do is to tell Woodson that he isn't getting an extension and push him into retirement. If he loves IU like he claims, that is the choice he'll make since his staying with short time on his contract will completely kill his already pathetic HS recruiting and would even hurt his portal recruitment for players with multiple years of eligibility left.

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And if you're right?

I fully expect him to be allowed to "retire" gracefully so that he is not dismissed. And if he rejects that option then get dismissed.

That is the most common employment practice in the world when someone is beloved by the organization but it's irrefutably time for them to move on.

He'll win just enough this season to not get dismissed.  He will continue coaching another 2 years with no extension.  Dolson will do nothing.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

• For Dolson,
  • For Whitten,
  • With Woody's age,

'Too much sense' is the operative phrase here, but may be the very thing that trips up the administration. It's like a fast break layup. It's an easy bucket until it's not. I'm only concerned because they've missed a lot of layups in the last couple decades. 

https://x.com/reversejackfan2/status/1849461235307159704

A tweet quoting Rabjohns bringing some heat in the response to Ant Wright.  Hurley didn't take the warm months off to go golfing and our retiree did.  I don't understand the loyalty some people have to this dude.  

He'll win just enough this season to not get dismissed.  He will continue coaching another 2 years with no extension.  Dolson will do nothing.
With the roster he has and a very easy preseason schedule its hard to imagine even Woodson not being able to win at least 23 games this year. And you better believe they will extend him if he wins more than 23 games.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk