Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, KathywithaC said:

Is it true that they openly called for him to be fired? Presumably this occurred on their podcast, so would like to hear what they said. Thanks.

Go listen to it then. 

1 minute ago, KathywithaC said:

Is it true that they openly called for him to be fired? Presumably this occurred on their podcast, so would like to hear what they said. Thanks.

Eric used his name publicly on Peegs forum and openly trashed Woodson. What did he think was going to happen?

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think they did basically say they understood that in the podcast though.  What they said was, "Don't cancel these events, get someone else to be the face of them for the fans and players" and Woodson said, "Nah, F that, I got my 2 big donors and I don't need you."

Shortsighted and thin skinned.  I thought the Hysterics dudes were kind of over the top and annoying, I said awhile ago that the school needed to reel them in.  However, this was handled poorly.  

This is so bizarre to me that people care about this at all. The school, Woody, and Dolson have ZERO reason to work with or work out anything with these guys. You want to criticize the coach, great, but expect him to keep accommodating you? Come one man. Anything they were doing the school can do on it's own and most likely better. 

3 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

A part of me wonders if IU hired ADs that aren't qualified so there's a reason to not let them do their job; at this point it wouldn't be shocking. The last 25 years have been a masterclass in how to mishandle and possibly ruin a once great program; putting aside fandom, the level of incompetence has been astounding.

Perhaps... but also, it's entirely possible that Buckner has a heavy hand and is protecting his buddy as best he can for as long as he can.

I haven't watched the podcast or read the Bozich article yet, but from the summary posted here...

My initial reactions:

• Collectives are part of the changing landscape in college sports. The question this begets is essentially, do the people running those collectives "report" to the HC or the AD.
  • Collectives exist outside of coaching staffs and as we move along the adoption curve for NIL/collectives, etc. IMO they are almost sure to have more longevity/add more value to programs than most coaching staffs at most places. Obviously a great coaching staff is worth 100x more than a great collective, but those are few and far between... 
  • This obviously creates an irritating situation for HC and staff, who now feel like they not only have an AD to report to, but an additional stakeholder to keep happy in order to have access to all the resources you need to be competitive. 
  • Irrespective of the financial contributions they help make for our sports programs, Eric/HH are insufferable at times and I get how they would wear on people. They wanted access and to be fan boys but also to sit at the big boy table and have real influence. I really think it's important for any collective at IU to be able to find the right balance and strike it every time. 
  • That said, it's so not surprising that Eric basically screwed the pooch and CMW is being petty, vindictive, and delusional.
  • We may have bought a talented enough team that this year is better than last, but holy **** the catty pathetic nature of these supposedly grown a$$ men is embarrassing. I will want Indiana to win - always - but that will be in spite of, not because of, this head coach and the buffoons in our administration.
  • For Scott Dolson to have enabled this alleged interaction says everything you need to know about the state of IU athletics. 

18 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I haven't watched the podcast or read the Bozich article yet, but from the summary posted here...

My initial reactions:

• Collectives are part of the changing landscape in college sports. The question this begets is essentially, do the people running those collectives "report" to the HC or the AD.
  • Collectives exist outside of coaching staffs and as we move along the adoption curve for NIL/collectives, etc. IMO they are almost sure to have more longevity/add more value to programs than most coaching staffs at most places. Obviously a great coaching staff is worth 100x more than a great collective, but those are few and far between... 
  • This obviously creates an irritating situation for HC and staff, who now feel like they not only have an AD to report to, but an additional stakeholder to keep happy in order to have access to all the resources you need to be competitive. 
  • Irrespective of the financial contributions they help make for our sports programs, Eric/HH are insufferable at times and I get how they would wear on people. They wanted access and to be fan boys but also to sit at the big boy table and have real influence. I really think it's important for any collective at IU to be able to find the right balance and strike it every time. 
  • That said, it's so not surprising that Eric basically screwed the pooch and CMW is being petty, vindictive, and delusional.
  • We may have bought a talented enough team that this year is better than last, but holy **** the catty pathetic nature of these supposedly grown a$$ men is embarrassing. I will want Indiana to win - always - but that will be in spite of, not because of, this head coach and the buffoons in our administration.
  • For Scott Dolson to have enabled this alleged interaction says everything you need to know about the state of IU athletics. 

Mike Woodson doesn't report to anyone.  Everyone else reports to Mike Woodson.

9 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

This, from the Bozich column says it all, as far as I am concerned:

Bozich misses the point by a mile. HH are more than entitled to have a podcast to talk and discuss anything they want. But they shouldn’t be surprised that their access was revoked after trashing a sitting head coach all while maintaining their goal is to promote the program. Cannot have it both ways. 

8 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Mike Woodson doesn't report to anyone.  Everyone else reports to Mike Woodson.

I laugh because it's funny, but it's sad that not only does CMW apparently actually feel this way... but that Scott Dolson is empowering him to act as if he can't be touched. It's unbecoming of the program to have a whiny crybaby as coach and an AD who sits on his hands, letting him basically do whatever he wants... without any success to back it up. 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Eric used his name publicly on Peegs forum and openly trashed Woodson. What did he think was going to happen?

So they didn’t openly call for him to be fired? Kind of what others have said. I did hear him say they expressed frustration during our annual conference swoon, but they were hardly alone. Not sure why Woodson decided to do this, but it’s poor form, though not unexpected.

35 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

This, from the Bozich column says it all, as far as I am concerned:

Yes he nails it. No one is defending the two HH guys but I’m surprised how many people are defending Woody. He’s upset because they had Evans on and they called him stubborn. Eric said at the beginning he knew their access was being pulled but the other stuff Woody said and the way he’s acted is so childish. 

27 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Bozich misses the point by a mile. HH are more than entitled to have a podcast to talk and discuss anything they want. But they shouldn’t be surprised that their access was revoked after trashing a sitting head coach all while maintaining their goal is to promote the program. Cannot have it both ways. 

Once again, it was someone else who trashed the program. You need to listen to the podcast.

24 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I haven’t listened to all the podcast but I don’t recall them calling for his firing. They said he’s stubborn, he’s set in his ways. Just sad that a man of his stature is so thin skinned.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Yes he nails it. No one is defending the two HH guys but I’m surprised how many people are defending Woody. He’s upset because they had Evans on and they called him stubborn. Eric said at the beginning he knew their access was being pulled but the other stuff Woody said and the way he’s acted is so childish. 

Defending Woody is really strange, even if those guys are strange ducks. They were also devoted fans who gave a great deal of support to the program and didn’t deserve the bullying they got. Coaches can be odd people.

27 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I laugh because it's funny, but it's sad that not only does CMW apparently actually feel this way... but that Scott Dolson is empowering him to act as if he can't be touched. It's unbecoming of the program to have a whiny crybaby as coach and an AD who sits on his hands, letting him basically do whatever he wants... without any success to back it up. 

Perhaps the rumors that Dolson was setting up to replace Woodson were true and that the Simon-Skojdts & Buckner essentially neutered him.