Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The first thing is we shouldn't have overpaid a couple of guys who are currently on the team. 

Seems a little odd we haven't landed one transfer yet given our money situation and minutes available. I know it is still "early" but there are plenty of good players who could help our roster at the guard position. 

1 minute ago, JXG said:

Was it Mr Yeagley who wrote Woodson had to have a "haul" in the portal to stay?  Am I remembering this correctly?  Also, for Cook Inc. he can see money was not the issue. 

He did but nothing will happen this year so next year will be a dumpster fire and Woodson will be out the door

Didn't someone post a few pages back that only about 30 guys have committed who entered the portal? Maybe it was in the transfer portal thread. 

Not yet time to be concerned. After the games this weekend, there may be more guys entering. Iowa State for one just had some guys enter.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm not seeing this, but admittedly I don't know the details.

Say we are overpaying a guy like Leal; double the $100k that might be the going rate and allot him $200K. How in the world would that make any consequential difference in a budget of over $6 million? Any overpaying is a bad idea, but when the budget is over the top does that particular overpay really matter much?

If you're bumping Leal's pay you're doing the same for guys like Mbako, Reneau, Galloway, and Cupps. So quick back of the napkin math. ..

Roughly 8 rotation guys total. I just listed 4/8. If they took up 1/2  your original $4mil they got roughly $2mil last year. If they all got 50% bumps that number is now $3mil. in baseline salary next year eating up 1mil of your 2mil increase from the boosters.

So we still have $3mil left but we need two big time starters and 2 rotation guys. That is a lot of money still but then you have to factor in we need to overpay guys (I'm assuming our new 5* recruit is being paid top dollar). That is where we might run into problems. If we have to pay our own guys a 50% premium to stay, you can bet we have to pay new guys that much of a premium too. Welp...that would represent the final $1mil added by the boosters basically putting us back to even with last year's capabilities in attracting talent.  

None of that even factors in If other teams have bumped their NIL. If so, in relative terms we're losing ground vis-a-vis other top programs.   

DISCLAIMER: all these numbers are made up and just an EXAMPLE of how things could be crunching our nil cash. Just a hypothetical only.

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

If you're bumping Leal's pay you're doing the same for guys like Mbako, Reneau, Galloway, and Cupps. So quick back of the napkin math. ..

Roughly 8 rotation guys total. I just listed 4/8. If they took up 1/2  your original $4mil they got roughly $2mil last year. If they all got 50% bumps that number is now $3mil. in baseline salary next year eating up 1mil of your 2mil increase from the boosters.

So we still have $3mil left but we need two big time starters and 2 rotation guys. That is a lot of money still but then you have to factor in we need to overpay guys (I'm assuming our new 5* recruit is being paid top dollar). That is where we might run into problems. If we have to pay our own guys a 50% premium to stay, you can bet we have to pay new guys that much of a premium too. Welp...that would represent the final $1mil added by the boosters basically putting us back to even with last year's capabilities in attracting talent.  

None of that even factors in If other teams have bumped their NIL. If so, in relative terms we're losing ground vis-a-vis other top programs.  

DISCLAIMER: all these numbers are made up and just an EXAMPLE of how things could be crunching our nil cash. Just a hypothetical only.

FWIW I think we can be fairly sure Tuckers deal is 700-750kish. That was what we were paying McNeeley per Trilly Donovan and seems to be the going rate for 5 star HS players this cycle. No idea what the portal deals look like. 

14 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Didn't someone post a few pages back that only about 30 guys have committed who entered the portal? Maybe it was in the transfer portal thread. 

Not yet time to be concerned. After the games this weekend, there may be more guys entering. Iowa State for one just had some guys enter.

Yeah but if we're going on last year's numbers about 70% of players are in the portal. 

23 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I think those numbers are highly inflated. If I had to guess coming these are the figures I see coming directly from collectives:

Leal--$150-200k

Galloway---$200-300k

Cupps---$100-150k

Newton---$100k

Reneau----$500-600k

Mgbako----$500-600k

Tucker---$500-600k I don't think Tucker was in as high of demand as many think. He was G-League bound until 2 weeks ago 

Iowa boards are reporting that Perkins is looking for something in the neighborhood of $300k and guys like Walker, Hickman, Blackmon, etc aren't going to command anywhere close to half a million. There's only a handful of portal players that are going to sniff high 6 figures to a million plus. I would pu IU's current allotment closer to $2million than $3million with more than half to spend. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Back to firing Mike Woodson. Don't be surprised when we don't use all of the 13 scholarships again this year. We will probably be out of money by scholarship 11 if not then by 12.

I think we're finding out again this year that no guards want to come play in this offense. 

Shocking

Seeing PU make the FF makes me want this guy gone even more. Makes me sick and I’m choosing to blame Woodson for them making it that far haha. I like Matt Painter, good coach and I appreciate his class, so I’m happy for them, but their alumni and fans are a joke. Instead of being happy about their own accomplishments, the PU fans I know take their time to mention “IU sucks” instead. Its pathetic.
It shouldn’t have had to come to this for Woodson to realize we need better guard play and more shooters. Now at this point the good ones are smart enough to not want to play for him unless his buddies throw enough cash at them. Some say maybe PU winning the title will wake up the administration enough to make big changes. Shouldn’t have needed that much to wake them up, and it’s frustrating as heck. 

5 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I know this is a safe space, so I will just go ahead and self-report I had to google it before I realized the same thing.

Its easy to understand. The last month has seemed like one big March fools month to us unchilled IU fans.

57 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Seems a little odd we haven't landed one transfer yet given our money situation and minutes available. I know it is still "early" but there are plenty of good players who could help our roster at the guard position. 

My guess is that one of two options will happen.  We will get a good, but not great point guard or we will land a highly sought after point guard and make him one of the top three paid players in college basketball. 

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Because Mike Woodson does what Mike Woodson wants and Mike Woodson coached in the NBA so Mike Woodson is the smartest guy in the room when it comes to basketball and the way Mike Woodson wants to do things. 

in simple terms. The game has passed him by and he hasn’t adjusted. 

I would be curious if any of the younger assistants asked him to adjust the system. Unless we have a staff full of dummies, which is possible someone has to have noticed. 

Just now, Unexpectedflash said:

I would be curious if any of the younger assistants asked him to adjust the system. Unless we have a staff full of dummies, which is possible someone has to have noticed. 

Mike has probably assembled a staff of yes men and anyone who challenges the status quo is sent packing

3 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Because Mike Woodson does what Mike Woodson wants and Mike Woodson coached in the NBA so Mike Woodson is the smartest guy in the room when it comes to basketball and the way Mike Woodson wants to do things. 

in simple terms. The game has passed him by and he hasn’t adjusted. 

I think this is still unknown tbh. Certainly after saying he wanted a different lineup after TJD left then running the same sort of offense flies in the face of what he has said. But I also think this ego people worry about could cause him to not want to go out with another bad year and he may be more open to change.  

Just in portal contacts it seemed early on that we were very guard focused. Doesn’t this suggest he knows roster mistakes were made and they have to correct those?  I don’t know if we can switch from what we have been to a team that shoots 30 3’s a game in one year but I would not be surprised to see us shoot twice as many as last year. 

38 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I think those numbers are highly inflated. If I had to guess coming these are the figures I see coming directly from collectives:

Leal--$150-200k

Galloway---$200-300k

Cupps---$100-150k

Newton---$100k

Reneau----$500-600k

Mgbako----$500-600k

Tucker---$500-600k I don't think Tucker was in as high of demand as many think. He was G-League bound until 2 weeks ago 

Iowa boards are reporting that Perkins is looking for something in the neighborhood of $300k and guys like Walker, Hickman, Blackmon, etc aren't going to command anywhere close to half a million. There's only a handful of portal players that are going to sniff high 6 figures to a million plus. I would pu IU's current allotment closer to $2million than $3million with more than half to spend. 

I would be concerned about a skeleton in the closet if Iowa won't come up with $300k for a 5th year of Perkins.