Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 hours ago, KNOBYDOX said:

If Woodson gave all the players who stayed big ataboy raises and has to over pay his picks of new players.How far will the reported 6 million go and how many scholarships will he have to leave open when he runs out of money?

Yeah I’ve been thinking we might have more open scholarships next year than we did this year.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking we might have more open scholarships next year than we did this year.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we only are able to fill 10-11 spots.

What did surprise me this past season is that cash heavy, Self led Kansas only had 9 scholarship players and had a couple of games with only 7 healthy scholly players. I’m guessing that part of might be that every guy he recruits expects to be a starter. 

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Not to derail the thread but do you have a favorite IPA these days? I can't find anything new that I like. I'm stuck on Founders all day series mostly because I like buying 15 at a time instead of 6. 

I've heard that Woodson hates beer so for that he should be fired

All IPAs taste like pine sol to me 

These transfer portal players remind me of going on a blind date.  You meet up and get sick, or have a good time and eventually go your separate ways, or get married.

5 hours ago, JF87 said:

I'm in the fire Mike camp, but I'm going to defend him a little on buying players.  Coach Woodson is the only IU coach to operate in the NIL era.  IU and all schools are learning and adjusting to the new reality. A lot of old school fans (like me) don't like that there currently seems to be no rules governing NIL.  For many of us, building a team by being the highest bidder for a talented player still seems sleazy even though it is legal, and the NCAA has little power to rein it in. It's possible that coach Woodson is being unfairly criticized because we associate him with a new recruiting reality that we don't like.  There are several good reasons to fire Mike Woodson, but I'm not sure using NIL money to buy a team is his fault.  It's just the new reality of college basketball. 

Well he needs to buy a better team which he failed this year.  Since it is what it is let’s see if he can buy a winning team next year. I doubt that he can but since this is our new norm let’s hope 6 million isn’t squandered.

56 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

Being in Kokomo, I'm fortunate to live about 5 minutes away from our Sun King.. I'm working thru their mix of IPAs now...✌️ 

oops sorry..

FIRE Coach Pawpaw!!

If you haven’t, Sciene Project in Logansport is a must try. Great beer and great pizza.

5 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That toxicity comes from the top.  Woodson set all that ablaze on senior day.  If he fails again there are going to be quite a few people (rightfully IMO) tap dancing on the grave of his coaching tenure here.

He can win me back, but "winning" the summer isn't going to do it and neither is a 22-12 tournament appearance next year.  He nuked the bridge with me and it is completely up to him to rebuild it by winning meaningful games over an extended period.

Hell Yeah

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if we only are able to fill 10-11 spots.

What did surprise me this past season is that cash heavy, Self led Kansas only had 9 scholarship players and had a couple of games with only 7 healthy scholly players. I’m guessing that part of might be that every guy he recruits expects to be a starter. 

FYI-  KU lost a player and also was fulfilling a scholarship reduction penalty. 

NCAA rules allot KU 13 scholarships per year, but in connection with the school’s NCAA infractions case, it adopted last November a self-imposed reduction of three scholarships “to be distributed over the next three years.”

With the decommitment of four-star freshman combo guard Chris Johnson, which he officially announced Monday after reports over the weekend, Kansas is now down to 10 scholarship players — three below its maximum — for the 2023-24 season.

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

After getting one out-of-state five star, all four of the guards we are prioritizing (Perkins, Walker, Hickman, and Conwell) and one of the bigs (Humrichous) are born and raised in Indiana. And they're all grown-ups, not 18 year olds. 

The game has now been "professionalized." With that fact, rather than scour the country for 100% mercenaries, we apparently are focusing in a real way on players that are more likely to play for IU because of their connection to their home state.

It's the age-old discussion about whether we should give bonus points to in-state kids; in this case we apparently believe we will get a better return on recruiting investment by doing so.

Is there some report out there about IU and Conwell? He would absolutely be a priority target for me, but ISU is still playing and I haven't seen anything about him being in the portal.

1 minute ago, Shooter said:

Is there some report out there about IU and Conwell? He would absolutely be a priority target for me, but ISU is still playing and I haven't seen anything about him being in the portal.

He is not in the portal and would be surprising if any ISU kids made that move until their season ended.

6 hours ago, JF87 said:

Coach Woodson has three assistants and Armond Hill to discuss basketball and strategize with.  Randy Wittman and I believe one other person were hired as consultants the last few years to provide input to coach Woodson.  The fact that we don't value the three-point shot and incorporate analytics into our style of play and roster construction is all on Mike Woodson.  The information has to have been provided to him, so I have to assume he just chooses to ignore it. 

Sounds like none of them are doing their job from top to bottom: QB, BoT, Dolson, Sleepy Hill, Old Bean Randy (I really loved his game back in the day), Jordy, Calbert, any 3 of the assistants, and down to the team managers hell even Martha because if Woody isn't listening to reasoning then why is he still here?  If all these people are in an uproar no job for Woody.  I'm curious to know do they all just sit back and say 6 million is going to fix it and we good. 

FIRE WOODSON OR RETIRE PLEASE 

Imo Woodson needs to develop some continuity on his team. The fact the he has to replace almost half of his scholarship players each year via the portal isn’t the way to do it. He needs a balance of older and younger players, aka high school players. 
Also, the college game has primarily been guard driven and as of late IU is where shooters come to die. There no way if my son was a guard I’d let him have anything to do with this style of offense. Throw in the fact that Woodson appears to be a lame duck coach, I think it’s going to be a challenge for him to get some good guards out of the portal. A lot of teams have done a lot better with less talent because those teams have good guard play and that’s what IU has been missing for the past 6+ years. Btw, I think the reason IU can’t find any shooters is because IU is cursed by the ghost of Matt Roth..lol 

I played college baseball for 4 years. Two years on a juco team that was top 5 in the nation my freshman year and anywhere from top 10-15 my sophomore year. I then transferred to a D1 school where I absolutely despised my coach and school. It was mentally draining to play there and I hated every minute of it. I then transferred to an NAIA school so I wouldn’t have to sit out a year. I’ll be the first to tell you that I regrettably only went to school to play ball. I tell you all this because I just can’t understand why, given the state of IU basketball,  would recruits want to play here?  Especially for a coach who hasn’t demonstrated he can compete against other schools who are recruiting them. I realize they’re getting paid good money, but how long before they look back and regret their decision? Play for a coach you like in offense that fits your style. Don’t be miserable for some extra cash. 

Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox 

6 hours ago, Demo said:

If Arizona fans are complaining about Tommy Lloyd, we're not talking about "real fans", we're talking about "stupid fans".

Wisconsin fans were clamoring for Gard to be gone. AD had to give a vote of confidence.  

Fans are irrational. The fact that IU fans aren’t anymore is a bit of a sign of how far we’ve fallen. 

9 minutes ago, Geometry Hoosier said:

I played college baseball for 4 years. Two years on a juco team that was top 5 in the nation my freshman year and anywhere from top 10-15 my sophomore year. I then transferred to a D1 school where I absolutely despised my coach and school. It was mentally draining to play there and I hated every minute of it. I then transferred to an NAIA school so I wouldn’t have to sit out a year. I’ll be the first to tell you that I regrettably only went to school to play ball. I tell you all this because I just can’t understand why, given the state of IU basketball,  would recruits want to play here?  Especially for a coach who hasn’t demonstrated he can compete against other schools who are recruiting them. I realize they’re getting paid good money, but how long before they look back and regret their decision? Play for a coach you like in offense that fits your style. Don’t be miserable for some extra cash. 

Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox 

Money, fame, chicks.   It’s definitely not winning basketball though.