Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

11 minutes ago, Demo said:

100% correct. His record as a recruiter and big man developer at UK is unassailable. 

It's rumored that his recruiting success at UK is based on impermissible benefits and NIL has leveled that playing field (somewhat).

Any idea if that's true, and any notion why the recruiting success didn't translate to his head coaching tenure? Also, now that he's a spectacularly failed head coach, that may impact how recruits and their influencers view being coached by Kenny. 

1 hour ago, SamIam said:

Given the senior day speeches, I don't know if it is a given that Trey Leal MM and MR would be back if they fired Woody. 

I think the more interesting question is how well does Dusty do next year? If he takes the OSU job and we do end up firing Woodson, he probably has to turn OSU around in 1 year to be considered by admin.  Will his buyout one year into his tenure be prohibitively large? It will be interesting to see this all play out, but imagine a future where we fire Woody next year and again pass on Dusty because he didn't compete year one year in the P5. 

I don’t see any realistic scenario where IU could hire May a year from now unless he stays at FAU. Certainly not if went to OSU, Louisville or Michigan. Probably not even if he went to WVU or DePaul. He’d probably have to request an “out” or “exception” clause in his new contract (in the event IU wanted to interview him) and if I were the AD at those other schools a request like that would be a major red flag.

7 minutes ago, GoHoosiers24 said:

I'm there with ya man, but if Woody has a decent season next year, he will definitely be back for the 25/26 season. Talk about depressing. 

Random thought, but is Woody the worst coach we've had in the past 20-25 years? Argument could certainly be made. If I had to rank them from best to worst, it'd look something like:

• Coach Knight
  • Kelvin - Had we not shot ourselves in the ****, there'd be another banner or two hanging in Assembly Hall
  • Crean
  • Davis
  • Woody
  • Arch

Kind of shows what we all know, we are going backwards...

I think reasonable arguments could be made between Archie Miller, Mike Davis and Mike Woodson. I don't know why anyone would want to argue about any of the three of them because the only logical conclusion is that none of them are good and have proven to be (or are proving to be) inadequate long-term solutions for Indiana University. I would personally rank them as you have...Archie Miller being last place is correct, in my opinion. Of course, with IU's NIL might at his disposal, maybe Archie could have done better but that's not a hypothetical we can prove and his results are worse than Mike Woodson's have been. No point re-litigating any of the other tenures. 

You are probably right, if Mike Woodson's 2024-2025 team is solid (I envision that as making the tournament as something like a 7-seed, finishing like 5th in the Big Ten) and they make the second-round of the NCAA Tournament, that would probably be seen as real progress and they'd point to the trajectory of the program as being upward and he'd likely be back for another year. Still, I think retirement at that point would be a clear option as well...he'd be turning 67 and could point to having the program in the NCAAs 3 of 4 seasons and leaving things on what he would describe much better than how he found them. I'm naive but that's my hope. We get to enjoy a decent season with a tourney bid and then we get a new coach.

2 hours ago, SamIam said:

UNC had five in-transfers this year, replaced 3 starters, and currently sit at #4 in the country and #8 in Kenpom. If you are replacing a whole team every year, you aren't going to be good. But Gallo, Leal, Reneau, Mgbako and Cupps have played lot of B1G minutes now. IF Woody can keep those guys, I think that is a decent starting point.

I saw that Mgbako won a share of B1G freshman of the year. Would like to see him come back for another year before going pro. What's the feeling about Mgbako and Reneau coming back/not coming back? Don[t think either are NBA ready, so transfer? And if they leave, what's that do for Woodson's chances next year? 

Just now, Chris007 said:

I deserve it so much that I got a second job at a local course here in Bloomington. 

Awesome!

I got a membership for the first time since I was in high school 40 years ago.  Good for two local courses.  Looking forward to the sumner

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I never understood why NGW was acting as if $6M is some mindblowingly unattainable number that other programs couldn't even dream of meeting or surpassing. It's a lot of money for sure but it's not like that makes us the Yankees with George Steinbrenner 

That's kind of the thing right.   Like we'll be the only program in the portal.  We are going to be in the ring with the big dogs and going to get our butts chewed.  

8 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Tell the Simons we're gonna need a bigger check.

I'm expecting celebs like Drake to be part of the pitch. He was just there performing at Rupp Arena. Meanwhile Indiana has Woodson telling kids they can be the next Carmelo Anthony.

Recruit born in 2008 - "who the hell is Carmelo Anthony"

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

He will still be here with alternate accounts don’t worry. Lol I still think Kathy with a C is NGW. 

That's an interesting take.

I haven't read all of NGW's posts, but they style is very different, though the bravado is similar. Both seem to think they are quite well connected to something.

3 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

I saw that Mgbako won a share of B1G freshman of the year. Would like to see him come back for another year before going pro. What's the feeling about Mgbako and Reneau coming back/not coming back? Don[t think either are NBA ready, so transfer? And if they leave, what's that do for Woodson's chances next year? 

I think Reneau is a top priority but I do think he is going to listen to offers from schools down south. 

I think Mgbako is going to test the waters of the NBA but if he doesn't like what he hears he will be back at IU.

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

I'm expecting celebs like Drake to be part of the pitch. He was just there performing at Rupp Arena. Meanwhile Indiana has Woodson telling kids they can be the next Carmelo Anthony.

Recruit born in 2008 - "who the hell is Carmelo Anthony"

Hey now... the kids these days must appreciate Chris Tucker's celebrity status just as much if not more than that Drake fella...

24 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Purdue making a deep run in the NCAAT would substantially put additional heat on Woodson, as fan pressure would exponentially increase. That's a silver lining of Purdue having success this March.

If Woodson flames out in the NIT a week or 2 after defiantly telling fans "I've done my job" and then we fans watch Painter take Purdue to a Final 4, then yeah, that won't sit well with me. 

Those words may come back to bite him.

To this administration, it wont even make them bat an eye

I know Mgbako came on much stronger toward the end of conference season, but when you do a side-by-side with Owen Freeman... the co-award is a bit of a head scratcher. Conspiracy theory? We call in a few favors? Lol

12 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

Have you read other team's message boards?  A recruit better get thicker skin if he chooses his school based on message boards.  He should be in the gym practicing, not worrying about getting his feelings hurt by what someone says on social media.  God help the team that lands such a baby.

100% completely disagree. These are still kids/young men. They absolutely do not need to be practicing all the time, they need their own lives as well. They don't just exist for the enjoyment of fans. If they want to be on social media, let them. If they want to practice, let them. Not our business at all.