Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, ISP said:

We could win out the rest of our regular season games and win game 1 of the B1G tourney and are still projected to be the #8 team left out. 

0 chance that would happen.    If IU wins out and wins 1 game in the conference tourney they would easily be in the tourney and honestly it wouldn’t be close.   Not sure where you are seeing that but that would be dead wrong 

This season we are rated lower (96) on KenPom than any of Archie's seasons (71, 52, 34, 50) and all but Crean's first 2 seasons (209, 138, 82, 9, 3,63, 48, 11, 44).
We could win out the rest of our regular season games and win game 1 of the B1G tourney and are still projected to be the #8 team left out. 
I think  many of us are underestimating how bad this season is because we scrapped by a couple come from behind close wins against really bad teams in the non-conference. 
Michigan and Ohio state are dead last in the conference and that's in a bad big ten this year. We are 6-6 but none of the six I would say are considered good wins.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

Michigan and Ohio state are dead last in the conference and that's in a bad big ten this year. We are 6-6 but none of the six I would say are considered good wins.

Archie’s first year that went 9-9 won 7 games against the bottom 4 teams with 0 wins against the top 4 teams.  

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

0 chance that would happen.    If IU wins out and wins 1 game in the conference tourney they would easily be in the tourney and honestly it wouldn’t be close.   Not sure where you are seeing that but that would be dead wrong 

Bart Torvik has a cool feature called TeamCast that lets you project out the rest of the season and see how it affects projected NCAA tournament seeding. Winning out regular season, winning game 1 vs Rutgers, then losing game 2 vs Nebraska would have us as the 6th team left out according to his projections. Losing a lot of games by a lot of points and then barely beating a lot of bad teams is not a good recipe to get into the tourney. 

https://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?rank=85&team=Indiana&year=2024&bracket=1&Florida_Gulf_CoastIndiana11-7=A&ArmyIndiana11-12=A&Wright_St_Indiana11-16=A&ConnecticutIndiana11-19=A&IndianaLouisville11-20=A&HarvardIndiana11-26=A&MarylandIndiana12-1=A&IndianaMichigan12-5=A&AuburnIndiana12-9=A&KansasIndiana12-16=A&Morehead_St_Indiana12-19=A&North_AlabamaIndiana12-21=A&Kennesaw_St_Indiana12-29=A&IndianaNebraska1-3=A&Ohio_St_Indiana1-6=A&IndianaRutgers1-9=A&MinnesotaIndiana1-12=A&PurdueIndiana1-16=A&IndianaWisconsin1-19=A&IndianaIllinois1-27=A&IowaIndiana1-30=A&Penn_St_Indiana2-3=A&IndianaOhio_St_2-6=A&IndianaPurdue2-10=W&NorthwesternIndiana2-18=W&NebraskaIndiana2-21=W&IndianaPenn_St_2-24=W&WisconsinIndiana2-27=W&IndianaMaryland3-3=W&IndianaMinnesota3-6=W&Michigan_St_Indiana3-10=W&x1_type=Post&x1_loc=N&x1_team=Rutgers&x1_res=W&x2_type=Post&x2_loc=N&x2_team=Nebraska&x2_res=L&x3_type=&x3_loc=&x3_team=&x3_res=&x4_type=&x4_loc=&x4_team=&x4_res=&x5_type=&x5_loc=&x5_team=&x5_res=

Edited by ISP

2 minutes ago, ISP said:

Bart Torvik has a cool feature called TeamCast that lets you project out the rest of the season and see how it affects projected NCAA tournament seeding. Winning out regular season, winning game 1 vs Rutgers, then losing game 2 vs Nebraska would have us as the 6th team left out according to his projections. Losing a lot of games by a lot of points and then barely beating a lot of bad teams is not a good recipe to get into the tourney. 

https://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?rank=85&team=Indiana&year=2024&bracket=1&Florida_Gulf_CoastIndiana11-7=A&ArmyIndiana11-12=A&Wright_St_Indiana11-16=A&ConnecticutIndiana11-19=A&IndianaLouisville11-20=A&HarvardIndiana11-26=A&MarylandIndiana12-1=A&IndianaMichigan12-5=A&AuburnIndiana12-9=A&KansasIndiana12-16=A&Morehead_St_Indiana12-19=A&North_AlabamaIndiana12-21=A&Kennesaw_St_Indiana12-29=A&IndianaNebraska1-3=A&Ohio_St_Indiana1-6=A&IndianaRutgers1-9=A&MinnesotaIndiana1-12=A&PurdueIndiana1-16=A&IndianaWisconsin1-19=A&IndianaIllinois1-27=A&IowaIndiana1-30=A&Penn_St_Indiana2-3=A&IndianaOhio_St_2-6=A&IndianaPurdue2-10=W&NorthwesternIndiana2-18=W&NebraskaIndiana2-21=W&IndianaPenn_St_2-24=W&WisconsinIndiana2-27=W&IndianaMaryland3-3=W&IndianaMinnesota3-6=W&Michigan_St_Indiana3-10=W&x1_type=Post&x1_loc=N&x1_team=Rutgers&x1_res=W&x2_type=Post&x2_loc=N&x2_team=Nebraska&x2_res=L&x3_type=&x3_loc=&x3_team=&x3_res=&x4_type=&x4_loc=&x4_team=&x4_res=&x5_type=&x5_loc=&x5_team=&x5_res=

I’ve seen his tool before.   That would wrong though in this case.  0 chance if they win out which would be 8 more Q1 and Q2 wins including a win at the projected top seed in the tourney with a top 25 schedule with only 1 Q3 loss would get left out.   lol.   That’s silly 

33 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So you're not allowed to recruit in the spring? Dang it I hadn't heard that the NCAA changed the rules. Feel bad for all of those seniors who haven't picked a school yet. DWS

I think you missed the point.  If you’d like to rely on building the program with a majority of spring recruits I guess that’s your philosophy.  Purdues got 6 guys signed.  

Archie’s first year that went 9-9 won 7 games against the bottom 4 teams with 0 wins against the top 4 teams.  
I am not defending archie in the least. Just stating our wins aren't impressive

I think you missed the point.  If you’d like to rely on building the program with a majority of spring recruits I guess that’s your philosophy.  Purdues got 6 guys signed.  
Rutgers has 5 signed. Waiting til spring is a big gamble cause you have no idea who will be available at all

We are likely to have 5 open spots at the end of the season. Likely losing more guards than most people expect. 

Edited by ISP

1 minute ago, ISP said:

This season we are rated lower (96) on KenPom than any of Archie's seasons (71, 52, 34, 50) any all but Crean's first 2 seasons (209, 138, 82, 9, 3,63, 48, 11, 44).

82 to 9 to 3 to 63..... Then 48 to 11 to 44... What a Hot and Cold Roller Coaster. 

For additional Comparison (most recent years):

Sampson: (62, 52, 18, 12, 14, 5, 2, 2, 1)

Dusty May: (181, 129, 17, 28)

Beard: (41, 11, 5, 21, 17, 15, 60) 

Josh Shertz (230, 100, 34) 

Painter (9, 19, 5, 9, 24, 25,  14, 7, 2)

I also took a look at most great coaches... They all seem to be pretty consistent... 

59 minutes ago, ISP said:

This season we are rated lower (96) on KenPom than any of Archie's seasons (71, 52, 34, 50) and all but Crean's first 2 seasons (209, 138, 82, 9, 3,63, 48, 11, 44).

I think  many of us are underestimating how bad this season is because we scrapped by a couple come from behind close wins against really bad teams in the non-conference. 

I understand what Torvik thing says, but an IU team at 23-10, 14-6 in conference with wins over Purdue and Wisconsin as well as NU, MSU, and Nebraska is in no way getting left out of the tournament ever.

I say that knowing there is zero chance we win out.

1 hour ago, ISP said:

I think this is a good data point and have used it myself. But as far as retaining a coach, its Ws and Ls that matter.   

We haven’t played well. But ultimately wins and losses move the needle and barely winning is still winning to most folks. 

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

The only way I would fire a coach is if I knew who I had in the bag to follow him. Going after one guy and scrambling when he turns us down is not the best way to go about hiring a great coach. 

I agree. I think Woody will get year 4 and to be honest I think it's deserved despite the **** season we are having. 

With that said, I think there is a higher quantity and quality coaches available now than in any previous time we were looking and I think it is very likely that 4-5 of them would accept pretty quickly. 

Either way,  I hope we load up this off season and hit the Final 4 next year. 

Edited by ISP

33 minutes ago, ISP said:

We are likely to have 5 open spots at the end of the season. Likely losing more guards than most people expect. 

Wait,  IU has guards? I thought by the shooting those were just a bunch of short centers.

37 minutes ago, ISP said:

Ware, Mgbako, Gunn, Banks, Leal? Missing anyone and still think there is a chance Leal stays after the last 10 games are played. I think Cupps and Newton are back. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Ware, Mgbako, Gunn, Banks, Leal? Missing anyone and still think there is a chance Leal stays after the last 10 games are played. I think Cupps and Newton are back. 

I'll play along:

I think Cupps, Gallo, Sparks, Mgbako, Newton, Malik, and Leal are back. 

X, Walker, Ware, Banks, Gunn are gone.

One current new recruit, five spots to fill and we'll fill four of them again.

I think Leal is back based on need. MM is probably 50/50. 

Another player I won't name during season is being heavily courted by numerous schools. He isn't super happy with the season and isn't even sure if he is wanted back. Let's just say it would hurt to see him in another jersey. 

Edited by ISP