Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Davis's last season IU was 19-12 (9-7) and tied for 4th in the B1G and won a tournament game, he got fired. Woodson was 19-14 (10-10) and tied for 6th with no post season, and IU was afraid if they fired him people might think they were serious about winning. IU's fall is self inflicted, they gave up on expectations and started making excuses for coaches failing to perform.

Davis got fired for doing better. Davis also won 5 out of 6 against Purdue in his last 3 years including sweeps in each of his last 2.

They aren't serious about winning. They haven't been since the days of Myles Brand and Murray Sperber.

25 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

This is the prudent point that people for some reason ignore.

If Woodson were fired, what high level basketball program is considering him for their coaching position? The answer is zero.

If you look at B1G coaches objectively you quickly see he’s in the bottom half, if not the bottom third, of head coaches in the conference.

Still going to cheer for our team this year, as I do every year, but my only trepidation about the season at this point has nothing to do with the roster and everything to do with our coach.

Take away the name Mike Woodson. IU fired Miller and hires John Smith, a man in his 60s that had never coached college and hadn't been a HC at all in nearly 10 years after getting fired and was sub .500 when he was a HC; everyone would call that a bad hire, if they were being honest.

12 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

They aren't serious about winning. They haven't been since the days of Myles Brand and Murray Sperber.

I know they aren't, heck everyone that's seen the last 25 years knows they aren't. IU couldn't take the chance of people getting the impression that they were.

The argument for Woody being a good coach was winning a few more games with Miller’s (the worst IU coach by far the last couple of decades) players? That’s a really really low bar.

I like the new transfer additions but now they’re going to have to work and Woody is going to have to coach them up. I’ll hold judgement about the 24-25 edition until they show what they’re about on the court.

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Davis's last season IU was 19-12 (9-7) and tied for 4th in the B1G and won a tournament game, he got fired. Woodson was 19-14 (10-10) and tied for 6th with no post season, and IU was afraid if they fired him people might think they were serious about winning. IU's fall is self inflicted, they gave up on expectations and started making excuses for coaches failing to perform.

Davis got fired for doing better. Davis also won 5 out of 6 against Purdue in his last 3 years including sweeps in each of his last 2.

Davis won 5-6 against Purdue teams who won 17, 7 and 9 games in those three seasons. Woody is 3-3 against Purdue teams who won 29, 29 and 34 games. The best three season stretch in Purdue history. Davis last three seasons he went 14-15, 15-14 and 19-12.

52 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Take away the name Mike Woodson. IU fired Miller and hires John Smith, a man in his 60s that had never coached college and hadn't been a HC at all in nearly 10 years after getting fired and was sub .500 when he was a HC; everyone would call that a bad hire, if they were being honest.

John Smith has done his job. No one knows basketball or wants to win more than John Smith.

7 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I wonder which game in the new schedule they'll be first tested.  I think we'll know rather quickly how the season will go if they don't adjust their perimeter defense.  

Last year we were tested by KenPom 300+ teams who had reasonable shooting so we should at least know very early on if we’re at least better than last year.

If we squeak by an Army or FGCU type, or almost lose to a Morehead St, it’s going to be a LONG year.

I still remember people trying to convince others that those teams were underrated and the metrics were wrong. Delusional.

4 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

John Smith has done his job. No one knows basketball or wants to win more than John Smith.

Wanting to win and doing what it takes to actually win are two different things. Woodson John Smith hasn't done the work despite what he like to tell people. He only has a job because Buckner says so. He hasn't earned a thing.

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

No goalposts moving here. And the hate for Woodson as coach is real. He hasn't done squat. Won a play-in game. Won one first-round game - both with Miller's players. Missed the tournament with his own. Still thinks the game is played inside out. He's simply a legend in his own mind.

He said his job was to win B1G titles and national championships. Then he missed the tournament and told us that he did his job. 

Now he bought a team with NIL. Good for him. Let's see what he does with it. Expect to be underwhelmed and disappointed.

Trying to remember when JHS played for Archie….so you are saying Woodson has made the tournament 2/3 years?

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Interesting 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

As if we’re the only school that has a well-funded NIL?

Geez … if you don’t want to give Woody any credit, at least give some to Coach Ya:

We pulled two high-level, three year eligibilty guards because they trusted Ya. Did so on their first and only visit with ZERO NIL bidding war. Also reported (not confirmed) that Ballo signed for less at IU than for other offers he received.

They can’t give any credit. Yes I know what thread this is but the amount of hate here is sad.  I would have been fine with a change this offseason but that was because I believed the Rabby stuff to be true and we would have no players except 1 year mercenaries. I am not sure that would justify the hatred of him but I would understand the frustrations. Since it turned out not to be true and he has built a team with young talent I am don’t understand the continued hate.  Perfectly fine to be skeptical but the hate is just bizarre to me. 

58 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Trying to remember when JHS played for Archie….so you are saying Woodson has made the tournament 2/3 years?

Is making the tournament the goal? Could’ve sworn it was B1G and National titles.

But if you’re content with a coach who is paid as a top-15 coach, with a top-5 NIL budget, squeaking into the tournament to get blown out by the likes of St Mary’s then we’ve got your guy!

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

They can’t give any credit. Yes I know what thread this is but the amount of hate here is sad.  I would have been fine with a change this offseason but that was because I believed the Rabby stuff to be true and we would have no players except 1 year mercenaries. I am not sure that would justify the hatred of him but I would understand the frustrations. Since it turned out not to be true and he has built a team with young talent I am don’t understand the continued hate.  Perfectly fine to be skeptical but the hate is just bizarre to me. 

As a non-Woodson fan, I agree with this. He has to get SOME credit for the portal haul. Now whether or not that translates into reasonable results remains to be seen but, at least on the surface, it looks like he’s learned from his roster construction mistakes last season.

8 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

It’s extremely bizarre behavior and almost feels like 3-4 guys have a notification set so they can respond to this specific thread in a matters of seconds day or night.

This thread is here so that people can freely express their wish that Woodson be fired, and it’s going to stay; readers beware.

My biggest wonder is if there’s an element with some of the fire Woodson posters of hoping he will fail more than hoping IU with Woodson will greatly succeed just so that they are proven right.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This thread is here so that people can freely express their wish that Woodson be fired, and it’s going to stay; readers beware.

My biggest wonder is if there’s an element with some of the fire Woodson posters of hoping he will fail more than hoping IU with Woodson will greatly succeed just so that they are proven right.

Yeah, people hoping for failure are taking it too far IMO.

2 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

Yeah, people hoping for failure are taking it too far IMO.

They did the same during the Crean years. How’d that work out?

I’m as frustrated as anyone on this board with Woodson and think he’s at best an interim hire, but rooting for failure is silly. I hope he wins as much as reasonably possible (and with the talent he now has he should), but I also hope it’s not long bf he retires and the U finally makes the right hire for the current college game, for the long term.

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I'll give my two cents. I've said numerous times that I hope the staff prove me wrong, but we have 3 years of data to go on. The continual drop in numbers speak for themselves.

Woody has given no indication at all that he sees any reason to adjust. In fact, quite the opposite. If that is the case, I don't see a ton of success when it comes to evenly matched, well-coached teams.

I'd feel much better if, after the disappointing season, he had said something like, "We all need to be better," but what we got instead is, I'm doing my job and the fans are the problem. So, I hope like hell that he can produce a level of basketball commensurate to the talent, but I will believe it when I see it.

3 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

No goalposts moving here. And the hate for Woodson as coach is real. He hasn't done squat. Won a play-in game. Won one first-round game - both with Miller's players. Missed the tournament with his own. Still thinks the game is played inside out. He's simply a legend in his own mind.

He said his job was to win B1G titles and national championships. Then he missed the tournament and told us that he did his job. 

Now he bought a team with NIL. Good for him. Let's see what he does with it. Expect to be underwhelmed and disappointed.

You must not be a “true fan.”  :)