Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

The guys on twitter are saying Woodson is the greatest recruiter ever but if you suggest he needs to win 25 games boy does their attitude change. They want the victory lap without high expectations. One said winning one game in the ncaa would be a success. Lol.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Which game? :)

9 hours ago, Hornsby said:

The guys on twitter are saying Woodson is the greatest recruiter ever but if you suggest he needs to win 25 games boy does their attitude change. They want the victory lap without high expectations. One said winning one game in the ncaa would be a success. Lol.

With $6M in NIL and 6 available positions, getting guys here isn't the issue. The issue is what Woodson does with them between tee-times.

I'd say the Cooks and Simons are better recruiters than Woodson.

With $6M in NIL and 6 available positions, getting guys here isn't the issue. The issue is what Woodson does with them between tee-times.
I'd say the Cooks and Simons are de better recruiters than Woodson.
Right but people shouldnt claim this is a massive recruiting haul and also say 20 wins is meeting expectations. If it's so epic than the expectations need to be sky high no matter how Woodson is as a coach.

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I'd say the Cooks and Simons are de better recruiters than Woodson.

It's all about the image.jpeg.51824890e8a65f92c7a3ef7398ae7eb5.jpegs

BAG OF MONEY GLOSSY POSTER PICTURE PHOTO currency dollars bills rich decor $ 418 - Picture 1 of 1

9 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

ESPN just upgrade their way too early rankings and have us at 16.  Anybody saying the bar should be any lower than 23 wins is really underselling what should happen with this roster.  In those discussions my question is going to be, "Why only 23?  Is it because Mike Woodson is expected to hold us back?"  There are no injuries or anything yet, anybody coming in under 23 and competing for a BIG title is doing so because they subconsciously believe this staff is an anchor.

I think many of us are skeptical on Woodson’s coaching abilities!  The pressure will be on for him to coach his most complete roster.  We’ll see!

11 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think many of us are skeptical on Woodson’s coaching abilities!  The pressure will be on for him to coach his most complete roster.  We’ll see!

Yep. I didn't want to put this in the expectation thread, because I've seen others get scolded for being honest in other threads, but my expectation is that we will underachieve yet again. I sincerely hope the coaching staff proves me wrong, but unless something changes, that is my expectation.

16 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Yep. I didn't want to put this in the expectation thread, because I've seen others get scolded for being honest in other threads, but my expectation is that we will underachieve yet again. I sincerely hope the coaching staff proves me wrong, but unless something changes, that is my expectation.

Whether we underachieve is completely dependent on expectations.

I've seen 'expectations for a satisfied fan' on this board ranging from "safely make the tourney" to "better than Purdue's 17-3 conference record last year." It makes sense; different people with honestly-held opinions will have different standards.

Most likely what will happen but the expectation still needs to be a sweet sixeteen for this roster. There is no well its mike woodson so the expectation should be lowered. Either win with this group or its time to move on.

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Most likely what will happen but the expectation still needs to be a sweet sixeteen for this roster. There is no well its mike woodson so the expectation should be lowered. Either win with this group or its time to move on.

I suppose you have to compartmentalize expectations -- with and without Woodson?  In my mind, Woodson has nothing do to with expectations.  He either gets it done or doesn't.  He has all the pieces in place for a really good team -- Big10 Champs, Sweet 16/Elite 8, etc.  If he can't do it, then yes time to move on (as this is the Fire Mike Woodson thread).  

I suppose you have to compartmentalize expectations -- with and without Woodson?  In my mind, Woodson has nothing do to with expectations.  He either gets it done or doesn't.  He has all the pieces in place for a really good team -- Big10 Champs, Sweet 16/Elite 8, etc.  If he can't do it, then yes time to move on (as this is the Fire Mike Woodson thread).  

Exactly and there should be zero excuses if he cannot do what you mentioned.  I doubt they would move on but a good program would.

The expectation set by Woodson himself was to compete and win B1G and national championships. But then he wants to tell us he’s “done his job” for a 19-win season and misses the tournament, bizarre stuff really.

So if we hold him to his expectation then we as fans should at least see that we’re clearly progressing towards the goals of a B1G title then a national title. We moved backwards last year, on top of other gaffes, thus the calls for him to be fired.

But given the investment, both in coaches and players (were easily over $10m/yr), the absolutely floor for this team should be to consistently be in or around the top-25 with a 7-seed or better in the tournament.

Even though I’m not a Woodson fan, I wouldn’t just fire him for a first round exit unless we get embarrassed again. But if he can’t secure at least a 7-seed in the tourney then he should have to win the BTT or make the sweet 16 to keep his job.

1 hour ago, Juwan Moye said:

The expectation set by Woodson himself was to compete and win B1G and national championships. But then he wants to tell us he’s “done his job” for a 19-win season and misses the tournament, bizarre stuff really.

So if we hold him to his expectation then we as fans should at least see that we’re clearly progressing towards the goals of a B1G title then a national title. We moved backwards last year, on top of other gaffes, thus the calls for him to be fired.

But given the investment, both in coaches and players (were easily over $10m/yr), the absolutely floor for this team should be to consistently be in or around the top-25 with a 7-seed or better in the tournament.

Even though I’m not a Woodson fan, I wouldn’t just fire him for a first round exit unless we get embarrassed again. But if he can’t secure at least a 7-seed in the tourney then he should have to win the BTT or make the sweet 16 to keep his job.

Spending 10 million on a team I think we should expect to be consistently in the top 15 and making 2nd weekends a norm in the tourney anything less in my mind is a failure. 

57 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Spending 10 million on a team I think we should expect to be consistently in the top 15 and making 2nd weekends a norm in the tourney anything less in my mind is a failure. 

I don’t disagree, but I’m attempting to suggest a floor. Which in my mind, if that floor isn’t met, that should be a fireable offense.

My worry is that we squeak in as a bubble team, win a game, and keep our coach around because “we improved” or some garbage. I WANT us to do well, but we can’t accept mediocrity with the level of investment IMO if we ever want to be considered an elite program again. 

15 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

I don’t disagree, but I’m attempting to suggest a floor. Which in my mind, if that floor isn’t met, that should be a fireable offense.

My worry is that we squeak in as a bubble team, win a game, and keep our coach around because “we improved” or some garbage. I WANT us to do well, but we can’t accept mediocrity with the level of investment IMO if we ever want to be considered an elite program again. 

I fully expect them to look for every excuse to bring him back unless he burns down an orphanage on Christmas Eve.

2 hours ago, Juwan Moye said:

My floor is what I stated if not he should be fired.  I think your floor is too low.

Would be curious to know what the sunshine pumpers think.

”we won the offseason!

”cool, so if we don’t make the sweet 16 we fire our coach, right?”

”whoa whoa, let’s be reasonable here”

1 minute ago, Juwan Moye said:

Would be curious to know what the sunshine pumpers think.

”we won the offseason!

”cool, so if we don’t make the sweet 16 we fire our coach, right?”

”whoa whoa, let’s be reasonable here”

I don't think the roster is taken care of until we at least have one back up 4/5... not that I consider myself a pumper. 

My stance is unchanged on "winning the offseason" ... nice to see talented players on the roster! That's important.

Won't get excited until I see it on the court and we observe that learnings from other previous mistakes are retained and applied.