Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Woodson and Bucker are actively destroying their IU legacies. They will be utterly despised by the vast majority of the fanbase this time next season. How’s that for “legacy”? 

Actually I haven't liked Buckner for awhile because his announcing the Pacers games. He is absolutely horrible and unbearable to listen to.

4 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

You sure about that?

Despise is a pretty harsh term.

Maybe in 20 years or so when those of us who remember how great these guys were are gone, you’ll have a leg to stand on.

Too bad you don’t have the history to know what they were about 

I don’t particularly care about what they were doing decades before I was born. I care about them actively destroying the basketball program I root for now. The cigar smoking, wine drinking, nap loving guy half-a**ing his job, and the guy forcing him down our throats, aren’t going to be able to take the heat off themselves by pointing to their tenures as players 40+ years ago. Not a chance. 

You sure about that?
Despise is a pretty harsh term.
Maybe in 20 years or so when those of us who remember how great these guys were are gone, you’ll have a leg to stand on.
Too bad you don’t have the history to know what they were about 
Yea were talking about coaching nor playing. Calbert is on that bench and he was may favorite player. He was pretty decent imo. If he was head coach I would want him gone as well!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, TTT said:

I can see it now.  Coach Bob Knight said Brian Sloan was the best screener he ever coached.  Recruit a screener specifically for Clark and once across the 10 second line let the 3 balls rain.  Maybe, right before getting across 10 second line.

I remember one game Brian Sloan was head hunting to screen for shooter/s that was a strategy in a pretty high profile game (can’t remember the opponent) The strategy worked as IU won the game.

How many screens has this version of the hurri’n Hoosiers set?  Or since the year 2000?

Well the screens set under Archie/Woody are the laziest and slowest screens you could ever imagine. The offense under both coaches go at the speed of 1st week of practice.

14 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Yet he only got 1 out of 35 offers for the 24 class. Just wondering why you decided to move over to this site. I haven't seen you post lately on HSN probably because of the negativity but to warn you it is more negative here than that board.

Disagree. This board is def more positive — and respectful— overall, and I say that as a former mod over there. 
And hey, there’s a positivity thread here! :)

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t particularly care about what they were doing decades before I was born. I care about them actively destroying the basketball program I root for now. The cigar smoking, wine drinking, nap loving guy half-a**ing his job, and the guy forcing him down our throats, aren’t going to be able to take the heat off themselves by pointing to their tenures as players 40+ years ago. Not a chance. 

So, you have been at practice and the late nights in the office so you know what is going on? Glad to see this board has insiders who have their thumbs on the pulse 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m somewhere between the two of you. People aren’t going to despise Woodson, but assuming things don’t improve they’re (and I’m included) going to be very disappointed in him. History matters, it’s not the end all, but both are in the discussion for some of the best to play for IU, and both represented IU exceptionally well including after IU. 
All that said we need modern coaching, minimally bringing outside scoring and guard-wing play to the floor, and energy in recruiting.

5 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

So, you have been at practice and the late nights in the office so you know what is going on? Glad to see this board has insiders who have their thumbs on the pulse 

You don’t have to be there when their buddies tweet out pictures lol. 

24-hour old account immediately starts defending Woodson when the heat is rapidly intensifying. Very coincidental.. 

47 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Understand about being younger and having never experienced the IU program I went to school with and since…I was there through 1979. I’m a lifetime Alumni Club member and have donated tons over the years. More than ever I want to see our program restored to what it once was.

My only goal here is to bring some balance. I get it that this year has been bad so far. However, I also know that the last two years we made the tournament, which we hadn’t in the 6 previous seasons. Did the tournament appearances satisfy this fan base? Hardly. Was it an improvement? Absolutely. 

Those two seasons brought some semblance of positivity to the program. And the way I understand it, TJD and Race were gone until Woodson convinced them to come back. He also developed a pipeline with Montverde that brought us JHS. Imagine where the last two seasons would have been without those guys.

CMW has a story he can tell… he knows what it takes to get to the NBA. High level talent wants to hear that. Now he has to learn to bring in other guys who are going to be around 3-4 years to compliment the one and done guys.

I think he has earned another year. Impatient and rash decisions don’t make for a successful program. 

Sorry for the long post, and to clarify these are just my opinions 

A .500 conference record and 1 tournament win in three seasons doesn’t earn you another season. Not at a school with standards. 

Yeah, I will respect the fact that Woodson and Buckner are program legends. That doesn't at all entitle them to have free reign over the program - especially when they're not even putting us on a path to winning, let alone actually winning at a high level.

Per this chart, that shows Team Success vs Attendance... other than Arkansas, there is not a more loyal fanbase receiving a worse product this year.

Team success vs attendance.png

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Disagree. This board is def more positive — and respectful— overall, and I say that as a former mod over there. 

Mainly talking about Woodson 

58 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Understand about being younger and having never experienced the IU program I went to school with and since…I was there through 1979. I’m a lifetime Alumni Club member and have donated tons over the years. More than ever I want to see our program restored to what it once was.

My only goal here is to bring some balance. I get it that this year has been bad so far. However, I also know that the last two years we made the tournament, which we hadn’t in the 6 previous seasons. Did the tournament appearances satisfy this fan base? Hardly. Was it an improvement? Absolutely. 

Those two seasons brought some semblance of positivity to the program. And the way I understand it, TJD and Race were gone until Woodson convinced them to come back. He also developed a pipeline with Montverde that brought us JHS. Imagine where the last two seasons would have been without those guys.

CMW has a story he can tell… he knows what it takes to get to the NBA. High level talent wants to hear that. Now he has to learn to bring in other guys who are going to be around 3-4 years to compliment the one and done guys.

I think he has earned another year. Impatient and rash decisions don’t make for a successful program. 

Sorry for the long post, and to clarify these are just my opinions 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion...

Personally, I have not seen anything out of Woodson that makes me want to let him try again. There's a solid rebuttal for every one of his excuses... and most of the rebuttals go back to his arrogance, his stubbornness and his inability to recruit for the long term... he whiffed on every guard he tried to get from the portal... he left one scholarship unused because he believed that Johnson and Galloway were gonna set the world on fire. Galloway has had his moments of delivering, but he's struggled... and Johnson has been a joke - injured at least twice and his shenanigans on the floor (flagrant 1 and flagrant 2 fouls), and generally poor decision making on and off the floor. He has ONE recruit signed for next year, and Liam may or may not show up on campus - time will tell. He will have to hit the portal hard to even be able to field a team... and then we will hear again next year how "young" the team is and how they just need time to grow together.

And I'm tired of him throwing players under the bus. ("I got 'em open shots, they just didn't hit them")... what have you done to "coach them through" the problems? 

I am done with this clown orgy.

12 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

My main man @mamasa with a jolt of happy-sauce in that thread.

And having you post your take on this board is my favorite thing I’ve read today.

IMG_3270.gif

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

A .500 conference record and 1 tournament win in three seasons doesn’t earn you another season. Not at a school with standards. 

If you have never seen IU win in your lifetime so where do you think those standards comes from. You rail on the past and the older fans but without the past then IU doesn't have the standards you want. To me the standards at IU for the younger fans shouldn't be that high

Just now, Scotty R said:

If you have never seen IU win in your lifetime so where do you think those standards comes from. You rail on the past and the older fans but without the past then IU doesn't have the standards you want. To me the standards at IU for the younger fans shouldn't be that high

How do I rail on the older fans? 

Just now, Scotty R said:

So because they won 40 years ago, they're allowed to guide the program into the dumpster and lose now?

Sorry but your last sentence is ridiculous for an IU fan to say Scotty. 

This isn't the program it used to be, you got that right. Guess the younger fans are supposed to be okay with that because the old school crew deserves their day in the sun? Give me a break. And I'm saying that as someone who goes easier on Woody than most