Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Iowa - Tuesday, 01.30.24 @ 7:00 on BTN

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Maybe his time is almost up?

It's crazy that Iowa fans want to move on from him when he's made 4 straight tournaments. We haven't done that in over 2 decades, and it's been even longer than that since they reached a Sweet 16. McCaffery is probably their ceiling as a program in today's game. 

Just now, TheWatShot said:

It's crazy that Iowa fans want to move on from him when he's made 4 straight tournaments. We haven't done that in over 2 decades, and it's been even longer than that since they reached a Sweet 16. McCaffery is probably their ceiling as a program in today's game. 

Went on their board and they are calling for his head 

3 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I saw that. I definitely view him differently in a much more positive way. 

X has been through the ringer with injuries and I am sure all of the negativity etc. has been weighing on him and the other players feel it and feel for him. Walker felt that for him. 

7 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I feel like I may be the only guy defending him, but I think Anthony Walker takes way too much flack from IU fans.  I never doubt his effort and everything I've seen from him shouts great team mate.  He's a decent bench player -- don't know who else we have on the bench that can put up 6 points in 16 minutes per game off the bench.  Only thing I would change was eliminating his three point shot altogether.

Don't know how many people caught it, but he was really choked up when X went down.  Walker had been benched for most of the second half at that point but he wasn't sitting there sulking.....dude has known X less than a year and took it harder than anyone.

I’m with you. He’s brought exactly what I expected. Anyone that’s disappointed in him probably just had their expectations out of whack. 

4 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I saw that. I definitely view him differently in a much more positive way. 

Ive said this in other threads, but the one thing that has been as consistent as our shooting woes, has been the positive comments I’ve heard about Walker. Kid is an all time teammate and person, and a huge asset to this team off the court. Big culture guy, always positive, happy, uplifting, accountable and nice as could be. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

I’m with you. He’s brought exactly what I expected. Anyone that’s disappointed in him probably just had their expectations out of whack. 

Meh…I didn’t expect much. But he’s worse than a league average rotation guard, which we surely could’ve used that scholarship on.  

I’ll cosign the fact he seems like a good guy. But he’s shakey on defense and his offense is nonexistent outside of catching it on the left wing, putting his head down and to the rim. 

We looked so much better with mbako in there at the 4 instead of Walker. 

14 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I feel like I may be the only guy defending him, but I think Anthony Walker takes way too much flack from IU fans.  I never doubt his effort and everything I've seen from him shouts great team mate.  He's a decent bench player -- don't know who else we have on the bench that can put up 6 points in 16 minutes per game off the bench.  Only thing I would change was eliminating his three point shot altogether.

Don't know how many people caught it, but he was really choked up when X went down.  Walker had been benched for most of the second half at that point but he wasn't sitting there sulking.....dude has known X less than a year and took it harder than anyone.

I agree with everything you've said. Just a minor tidbit to clarify - apparently XJ and Walker go way back. Walker mentioned that XJ hosted him on a visit to Pitt, I think. And that they stayed in contact since then. So XJ was definitely a factor in Walker landing here. 

He definitely deserves some rotation minutes on this team. 

3 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Ive said this in other threads, but the one thing that has been as consistent as our shooting woes, has been the positive comments I’ve heard about Walker. Kid is an all time teammate and person, and a huge asset to this team off the court. Big culture guy, always positive, happy, uplifting, accountable and nice as could be. 

I deemed myself President of the Walker fan club this season early on. I’ve sung his praises and never really saw many others bite. As @Hovadipo said above, for what he was brought in for he has fit the mold perfectly. I forget which game he played very well and they sent him in for the post game questions and he has a very professional attitude, speaks well, and has a bright smile. 

5 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Oh please hire Lickliter v. 2.0

I kind of forgot about him. Another example of a mid-major coach with a very good resume, including National Coach of the Year, flaming out at a P5 school. 

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Meh…I didn’t expect much. But he’s worse than a league average rotation guard, which we surely could’ve used that scholarship on.  

I’ll cosign the fact he seems like a good guy. But he’s shakey on defense and his offense is nonexistent outside of catching it on the left wing, putting his head down and to the rim. 

We looked so much better with mbako in there at the 4 instead of Walker. 

It’s not his fault that Woody blew it on roster construction though. I think it’s fair to say that he takes an unnecessary amount of crap. I’m not wanting him to take on a bigger on-court role by any means. 

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

There’s an open scholly. Signing a guard wasn’t contingent on Walker coming here or not.

Limited time, rotation minutes and NIL money though. Like @Hovadipo said, it’s not Walkers fault how the roster is constructed. but he’s a bit of a square peg in a round hole on this team. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

That was good, but not surprising, to see.  
None of us really know what these guys are actually like, from our vantage points on the couch, but MR seems like a really, really good dude. He appears to be the direct opposite of many   “5* attitude” stereotypes as he seems invested in winning and being  a team guy.