Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
16 hours ago, Jeff Flabjohns said:

Extra fiery energy from Cig in the presser tonight

The feel around Cig's pressers this year seems to have changed. He sounds stressed, quickly agitated, or less willing to fully answer questions he feels are too critical. Perhaps it's much the same as last year, but it doesn't sound like it to me.

With two years and four games now on the books, this team still looks shaky, sloppy, undisciplined, prone to committing unforced errors,  and inconsistent. 

Posted
1 minute ago, TrueHoosier62 said:

The feel around Cig's pressers this year seems to have changed. He sounds stressed, quickly agitated, or less willing to fully answer questions he feels are too critical. Perhaps it's much the same as last year, but it doesn't sound like it to me.

With two years and four games now on the books, this team still looks shaky, sloppy, undisciplined, prone to committing unforced errors,  and inconsistent. 

This team only has 4 games under the books. 
 

Cigs probably annoyed with the stupid questions.  We are too enamored with prior year teams.  

Posted
13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Cig's probably annoyed with the stupid questions.  We are too enamored with prior year teams.  

No doubt, but stupid questions didn't just come into being this year. Stupid questions have been in existence since the advent of the reporter. In my opinion, its not the lack of forethought on the part of the questioner, (that's to be expected) but the subtle change in Cig's responses or tone. That's what stands out to me.

Posted
1 hour ago, Pagoda said:

I watch almost every presser, interview, and radio show.

I agree Cig is a little more short in pressers this year.  My theory:

1) I'd guess he's somewhat irritated with where the '26 team is.  This also means even longer hours -- he seems a little more tired that usual in some of these pressers, which doesn't help.

2) Our media pool doesn't ask very good questions.  I wish they would put a little more effort into it.

3) He just won the natty at IU with a roster that cost half the big programs -- he should probably get a little more benefit of the doubt than he does.

I think it's mostly #1, with a little bit of #2, and a sprinkling of #3.

He's coaching his butt off.  I don't think it's a big deal -- just what happens from time to time in the pressure cooker that is CFB.

My theory even before the game was Cig motivates the team through the presser a little. I was wondering where the “these fans shouldn’t be complaining “ thing came from because I don’t really see any fans complaining. I guess there’s the stray comment in a game day thread, but I always assumed Cig spent his time coaching on the sidelines not monitoring message boards.  
 

It also kind of explains his hyper positive Hoover comments. He obviously knows he’s missed some throws and I’m sure he’s on his butt all week. So in the pressers he tries to build him up.  
 

At least his comments make more sense to me in that context. I think also he wouldn’t be irritated if he didn’t think the team had talent. One more week to figure things out before it gets real.

Posted
19 minutes ago, str8baller said:

My theory even before the game was Cig motivates the team through the presser a little. I was wondering where the “these fans shouldn’t be complaining “ thing came from because I don’t really see any fans complaining. I guess there’s the stray comment in a game day thread, but I always assumed Cig spent his time coaching on the sidelines not monitoring message boards.  
 

It also kind of explains his hyper positive Hoover comments. He obviously knows he’s missed some throws and I’m sure he’s on his butt all week. So in the pressers he tries to build him up.  
 

At least his comments make more sense to me in that context. I think also he wouldn’t be irritated if he didn’t think the team had talent. One more week to figure things out before it gets real.

Yea I don’t really get where the fans complaining thing came from.  It’s very few people and probably the same amount as last year going into conference play.

I actually think it came out of a discussion of fans leaving early in the OOC games.  That was another nothing burger — once it wasn’t 90*+ the fans were good last night.

He follows the narratives around IUFB closely.  Much more closely than I would have guessed.  The narratives are probably more media driven than fan driven — he’s not reading message boards.  And like you said he’s a strategic guy who uses pressers and interviews to send messages and counter narratives.  He’s been doing that since day one.

Posted
2 hours ago, str8baller said:

I was wondering where the “these fans shouldn’t be complaining “ thing came from because I don’t really see any fans complaining

I don’t follow other sites, but I don’t think there’s any complaining here at all. Could be different other places. 

People at games are awful though. The people that ended up behind me last night were atrocious. Talking about benching Hoover among other things. Now to be fair these were people that didn’t have a CLUE about football. Younger guys who probably are the first ones to boo at basketball games. You know the type. They freaked out when we called a fair catch on a kickoff because they thought we got the ball where the catch occurred. But if people like *that* are getting their takes out on social media or wherever and Cig is getting wind of it, then those comments make sense. I’m sure it’s out there, I just don’t go seeking takes from people like that. 

Posted

My guess is it’s X or Twitter.   And I’m considered by many here to be pessimistic but man compared to the nonsense I see on X I’m an extreme optimist.  I vent here on message boards because it’s a mostly shielded place to discuss the good and bad of our program (more basketball)
 

People posting drivel on X does bother me though. I know the staff and Cig see it.  Recruits, ex players.  They deserve better imo.  

Posted

I'm just not seeing much on X, other social media, or the boards.  There is the usual baseline level of nonsense, but that's always there.

At this point (10+ years of people being very active on social media), programs should understand social media and the corner of it that contains garbage/drivel posts.  It's easy to avoid, in fact it usually takes some effort to find.  The people saying it get very few views.  And the people posting it may not even be fans of your school, a lot of it comes from troll accounts and opposing fans.  In a fanbase of over a million people, there are going to be some losers.  It sucks and they suck, but it happens everywhere in every sport all over the world.

When it comes to IUFB, if we have a bad stretch the negative fan content will be like 5-10% of what the big programs get.  The scrutiny here is nothing like the CFB blue bloods.

IMO, the much bigger thing programs have to deal with is the media, who have platforms that actually reach people.  I think programs often get the media and fans mixed up.

The more tangible and important reality is IU's home games are sold out (at higher ticket prices), if the weather/opponent is halfway decent the atmosphere is quite good, our fans are showing up in material numbers on the road, we took over the playoff last year, donations are through the roof, the admin support is great, and when our players post the comments are overwhelming positive.  Things are overall very good. 

There is no smooth ride in CFB, which is hyper competitive and dramatic in nature.  2025 was an complete outlier in terms of everything going perfect.  We are going to have bumps and dips.  Fortunately, this program is pretty well setup to get through them.

Posted
9 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

People at games are awful though. The people that ended up behind me last night were atrocious. Talking about benching Hoover among other things.

That’s crazy to me. I haven’t been to Bloomington for a game in the Cig era. But I think I was on campus for one of the worst football stretches, so it’s hard for me to imagine any IU fan doing anything but enjoying the ride.  
 

I hope my interpretation of Cig coaching through the presser is correct, because I would actually be kind of embarrassed if he’s addressing in-stadium fans. 

Posted
1 hour ago, str8baller said:

That’s crazy to me. I haven’t been to Bloomington for a game in the Cig era. But I think I was on campus for one of the worst football stretches, so it’s hard for me to imagine any IU fan doing anything but enjoying the ride.  
 

StreamFootball Games

 

I hope my interpretation of Cig coaching through the presser is correct, because I would actually be kind of embarrassed if he’s addressing in-stadium fans. 

People were booing Hoover after an incompletion in the second hand. 
 

Our fans don’t know how to behave in stadium.  We cheer while the offense is on the field and boo amidst 20 game win streaks. 

Posted
37 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

People were booing Hoover after an incompletion in the second hand. 

Our fans don’t know how to behave in stadium.  We cheer while the offense is on the field and boo amidst 20 game win streaks. 

I didn't hear any boos for our guys.  Only for the officials.  If there was booing it would be all over X and it isn't.

Maybe things are slightly loud on offense when fans get giddy, but it's a non-issue imo.

Our crowds are pretty good.  It's not Iowa or Death Valley, but it's fine.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Pagoda said:

I didn't hear any boos for our guys.  Only for the officials.  If there was booing it would be all over X and it isn't.

Maybe things are slightly loud on offense when fans get giddy, but it's a non-issue imo.

Our crowds are pretty good.  It's not Iowa or Death Valley, but it's fine.

I was at the game.  I’m not saying it was in mass but there were random boos after a Hoover incompletion. Maybe that’s normal idk but I was shocked at how clueless the people are.  
 

 

Posted

The word "spoilt" keeps coming to mind when I consider some of the fan reactions this year. Uneducated, yes, but I'm sure there's a fair percentage of the fan base who're spoilt, and are slipping into a mindset of entitlement. If I'm correct, and it continues to take root in Bloomington, I could definitely see it negatively impacting Cig's willingness to stay around.

Posted
3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I was at the game.  I’m not saying it was in mass but there were random boos after a Hoover incompletion. Maybe that’s normal idk but I was shocked at how clueless the people are.  
 

 

People don’t shock me anymore because of the world in which we live.  These are paid football players.  Some believe that makes it alright to boo.

Posted

True Hoosier described it perfectly for me: Spoiled.  I sent a text to my brother's after the game saying how spoiled IU fans (myself included) have become; we expect every throw to be spot on and the D to shut out everyone other than maybe OSU or Oregon.  What a time to be a Hoosier football fan.  My take regarding Cig's different demeanor at press conferences: he has mentioned multiple times how this is a new season, with new players, and a team with its own unique make up.  He knows what he has to do and he may be a bit annoyed that some IU fans still do not have faith in his ability to build his team.  I mean, if we could put ourselves in Cig's brain he is likely thinking . . . "really, I build a national champion and some of these folks think I don't know what I'm doing 4 games into the next season".  haha. I think I'd be extra cranky too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...