Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Indiana Players Now In The Portal

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I actually had this thought earlier today. What if he came back because nobody else wanted him? Probably won't happen, but I can't find anything about potential landing spots or anyone showing any interest. 

I like the kid but if that’s how we are filling out our roster we are in real trouble 

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but he can only take 1 slot if he does return

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Yes, just saying if by filling in a roster you mean taking him and slotting him to be in the rotation means something different than having him come in with the expectation of being the 12th guy you take a flyer on.  We have three slots open and we’ve heard that the staff is looking at filling two of those.  If he were one of those two I don’t think that’s good.  If he were the third with the understanding he’s a break glass in case of emergency guy who could get his degree and then transfer in the offseason next year, that’s different.

9 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Is there any chance he returns? It's not too common, but he hasn't burned any bridges as far as I know.

I can't imagine Jordan Geronimo wants to return to IU. By the end of last season Geronimo was playing behind Banks. He has yet to become more than a very athletic player with limited basketball skills. Unless he somehow becomes a reliable outside shooter with better ball handling skills, he starts out next season lower than he began this past season.

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I actually had this thought earlier today. What if he came back because nobody else wanted him? Probably won't happen, but I can't find anything about potential landing spots or anyone showing any interest. 

If nobody else wants him should we really want him back?  I'm sure someone would take a chance on his athleticism though.

10 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Is there any chance he returns? It's not too common, but he hasn't burned any bridges as far as I know.

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Why would we want him? 

23 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If nobody else wants him should we really want him back?  I'm sure someone would take a chance on his athleticism though.

It was a hypothetical question I thought — someone had said they would take him back.  

I have no idea what he is hearing from potential suitors.  I’m guessing he is hearing from power conference teams lukewarm responses.  If he wants to start he likely has to move to mid or low majors.

9 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It was a hypothetical question I thought — someone had said they would take him back.  

I have no idea what he is hearing from potential suitors.  I’m guessing he is hearing from power conference teams lukewarm responses.  If he wants to start he likely has to move to mid or low majors.

I know it was hypothetical, so was my response.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why would we want him? 

I wasn't advocating for it, necessarily. However, to answer your question: " Because he's a back-up frontcourt player (which is not a great need) that is already familiar with the program and IU isn't likely to do a lot better in the portal."  

IMO, IU's prospects are resting on adding a couple strong Wing contributors. The 3rd scholarship isn't likely to move the needle, plus he's only got one more year(?) so not a huge impact.  

I also doubt he returns, just seems odd that there has been NO chatter about a new destination for him. 

11 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I wasn't advocating for it, necessarily. However, to answer your question: " Because he's a back-up frontcourt player (which is not a great need) that is already familiar with the program and IU isn't likely to do a lot better in the portal."  

IMO, IU's prospects are resting on adding a couple strong Wing contributors. The 3rd scholarship isn't likely to move the needle, plus he's only got one more year(?) so not a huge impact.  

I also doubt he returns, just seems odd that there has been NO chatter about a new destination for him. 

JG has 2 years...

None of this is to sound disrespectful toward you... 

I don't find it odd at all that we haven't heard about a lot of suitors for him. I don't think he is a power 5 basketball player. I don't agree that "IU isn't likely to do better". 

The 3rd schollie could go a lot of different ways, imo. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

JG has 2 years...

None of this is to sound disrespectful toward you... 

I don't find it odd at all that we haven't heard about a lot of suitors for him. I don't think he is a power 5 basketball player. I don't agree that "IU isn't likely to do better". 

The 3rd schollie could go a lot of different ways, imo. 

I think he is a power 5 basketball player but not a power 5 starter.  In a role of 10 minutes or less he's an okay option.  But I don't that is what he envisions himself as.  If he wanted to be a power 5 starter, the pickings of landing places would be very small and would be bottom end ones.   Would have to be a DePaul like school.

On 4/24/2023 at 12:15 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

I think he is a power 5 basketball player but not a power 5 starter.  In a role of 10 minutes or less he's an okay option.  But I don't that is what he envisions himself as.  If he wanted to be a power 5 starter, the pickings of landing places would be very small and would be bottom end ones.   Would have to be a DePaul like school.

Surprisingly he played his best basketball when Race went down... As soon as Race came back, looked terrible the rest of the year.

51 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Surprisingly he played his best basketball when Race went down... As soon as Race came back, looked terrible the rest of the year.

I think it was the Rutgers game at IU when he hurt his leg again.  I don't know that he was ever 100% after, but outside of the 3 or 4 games where he played well when Race was out, there really weren't many bright spots.

Kind of surprised we're not hearing about JG to SHU. Shaheen has not been super successful in recruiting thus far at SHU, and Geronimo is originally from Newark I believe, so would be a homecoming for him. Though, that could be just as much reason to NOT go to SHU as it is, if you're at all aware about Newark, NJ lol 

On 4/24/2023 at 10:05 AM, btownqb said:

I don't think he is a power 5 basketball player. I don't agree that "IU isn't likely to do better". 

Geronimo has the athletic talent to be a power 5 basketball player but lacks the requisite basketball skills for a player his size (6'6"). It is somewhat of a mystery why he hasn't developed more, especially given the talk last summer about him possibly playing the 3.  He played reasonably well when he started while Race Thompson was out with injury. Anyway, it is unlikely he would want to return--this is his second time in the transfer portal and he also considered going the portal route a year ago. It is probably unlikely IU wants him. It would seem Woodson was honest with him at the end of this past season and told him they were seeking transfers that would make him expendable.