Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Indiana Players Now In The Portal

1 hour ago, IndianaSconnie90 said:

No, he's just not that great when there's something on the line. Can't teach that

Yes you can.  It comes from working until you can't get it wrong.  IDK if he has the motivation to put that level of work in -- not many do.  

4 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Sparks was actually ranked a top 100 transfer portal player. Basically the portal is slim pickings for true impact players like ware. Most portal guys are nothing special.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Portal guys can help….a lot.

The top 2 scorers for #1 UCONN are portal guys. 3/4 of their top scoring guards are portal guys.

#1 seed UNC has four double point a game scorers. 2/4 of them are portal guys.

#1 seed Houston’s leading scorer is a portal guy

#2 seed Arizona’s top FOUR scorers are all portal guys

#2 seed Iowa State’s leading scorer is a portal guy as are 2/4 of their double point a game guys (and 6/8 of their top scorers)

#2 seed Tennessee’s leading scorer is a portal guy (21.9 a game and their next highest scorer is at 11.9)

Many other examples such as Kansas top 2 scorers are portal guys, etc etc etc.

5 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Sparks was actually ranked a top 100 transfer portal player. Basically the portal is slim pickings for true impact players like ware. Most portal guys are nothing special.

Sparks was 170th of transfer portal players on 247.  While he may have been in the top 100 when he committed, he wasn't a top 100 portal player.  He committed very early in the cycle and prior to a lot of players entering.

9 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Portal guys can help….a lot.

The top 2 scorers for #1 UCONN are portal guys. 3/4 of their top scoring guards are portal guys.

#1 seed UNC has four double point a game scorers. 2/4 of them are portal guys.

#1 seed Houston’s leading scorer is a portal guy

#2 seed Arizona’s top FOUR scorers are all portal guys

#2 seed Iowa State’s leading scorer is a portal guy as are 2/4 of their double point a game guys (and 6/8 of their top scorers)

#2 seed Tennessee’s leading scorer is a portal guy (21.9 a game and their next highest scorer is at 11.9)

Many other examples such as Kansas top 2 scorers are portal guys, etc etc etc.

It's a bit misleading to lump anyone who ever transfered in together as "portal guys".

UCONN added just one portal guy to this year's team, Spencer. The others have been there multiple seasons.

Arizona does have two first-year transfers in their top 4 guys. The others you reference have been at Arizona for three years now.

Only two of Iowa State's top 7 are first year transfers. 

Most of these examples are good, established programs adding one or two key transfers per season. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

I remember that but I thought it was just a temporary ruling. 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

With it being the NCAA and US government involved.... I wouldn't wait on a permanent ruling.

Nothing is final yet, but they did confirm that two-time transfers are eligible for the 24-25 season. Who knows when it’ll actually be decided. 

12 minutes ago, Shooter said:

It's a bit misleading to lump anyone who ever transfered in together as "portal guys".

UCONN added just one portal guy to this year's team, Spencer. The others have been there multiple seasons.

Arizona does have two first-year transfers in their top 4 guys. The others you reference have been at Arizona for three years now.

Only two of Iowa State's top 7 are first year transfers. 

Most of these examples are good, established programs adding one or two key transfers per season. 

It’s not mis-leading at all. Everyone I referenced were portal guys and I was responding to the comment that portal guys rarely impact teams. They do.

I didn’t say they all switched this past season. UCONN’s leading scorer, Newton, arrived at UCONN via the portal, played at East Carolina for three years but you don’t count him as a portal guy? Doesn’t make sense. 

5 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Literally preposterous.

Of the 15 AP All-American’s named earlier today, 10 of them were at one point portal transfers, most of them from smaller programs.

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

It’s not mis-leading at all. Everyone I referenced were portal guys and I was responding to the comment that portal guys rarely impact teams. They do.

I didn’t say they all switched this past season. UCONN’s leading scorer, Newton, arrived at UCONN via the portal, played at East Carolina for three years but you don’t count him as a portal guy? Doesn’t make sense. 

Misleading in terms of IU's chances for next season. Those teams were not built with 7 transfers in one season, like we will be attempting.

Agree that there are many talented players who transfer in the modern game. The teams who already have a good roster in place will be in pole position to get them. IU's money will help, but we aren't the only ones who have it.

9 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Literally preposterous.

Of the 15 AP All-American’s named earlier today, 10 of them were at one point portal transfers, most of them from smaller programs.

Only 3 of those 10 were in their first year at their new schools. Two of those were proven studs going from high major to high major - Dickinson and Love. Then there's Knecht, who stepped up a level and joined a core of guys who had already been very successful.

Even in the portal era, college basketball is still about building teams over multiple seasons.

3 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Only 3 of those 10 were in their first year at their new schools. Two of those were proven studs going from high major to high major - Dickinson and Love. Then there's Knecht, who stepped up a level and joined a core of guys who had already been very successful.

Even in the portal era, college basketball is still about building teams over multiple seasons.

3/4 of number 1 UCONN’s guards, including their leading scorer, arrived at UCONN via the portal, not HS.  

Yes, Dickinson and Love were proven out of high school but they are still portal guys. Knecht did join a core of guys, as you stated,  but he is scoring 10 more points that their next leading scorer which seems to indicate he was an important portal guy to land.

I don’t get the take that “it doesn’t count” if they have been at their current school more than this current season.  Do you consider Lander at WKU a portal guy or has that designation expired because it’s his second year there ?

7 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Who said it wasn’t? But the idea that the portal is slim pickens is absurd, case in point with comment above.

I like the fact that IU is likely to return two players who have legitimate all-conference potential and a 5th year glue guy who has shown to be effective when not asked to carry the load.

You need two high end guards and some front court depth and next seasons outlook isn’t nearly as tumultuous as it sounds. 

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

3/4 of number 1 UCONN’s guards, including their leading scorer, arrived at UCONN via the portal, not HS.  

Yes, Dickinson and Love were proven out of high school but they are still portal guys. Knecht did join a core of guys, as you stated,  but he is scoring 10 more points that their next leading scorer which seems to indicate he was an important portal guy to land.

I don’t get the take that “it doesn’t count” if they have been at their current school more than this current season.  Do you consider Lander at WKU a portal guy or has that designation expired because it’s his second year there ?

I think we are talking about different things. I'm talking about IU's chances of having a good team next season.  We need half or more of our rotation to be first-year portal guys. That's why I'm making a distinction between multi-year guys and first-year transfers.

Somebody else said that there aren't many good players in the portal, that wasn't me.

I think we are talking about different things. I'm talking about IU's chances of having a good team next season.  We need half or more of our rotation to be first-year portal guys. That's why I'm making a distinction between multi-year guys and first-year transfers.

Somebody else said that there aren't many good players in the portal, that wasn't me.

It was me. If you only need a few it's probably not a huge deal but when you need 7 or 8 of them all at once they aren't all going to be top players. For one you will run out of money trying to pay them all. Also, unless Woodson is a genius throwing 8 portal players together and expecting big things seems like a stretch.

40 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Who said it wasn’t? But the idea that the portal is slim pickens is absurd, case in point with comment above.

I like the fact that IU is likely to return two players who have legitimate all-conference potential and a 5th year glue guy who has shown to be effective when not asked to carry the load.

You need two high end guards and some front court depth and next seasons outlook isn’t nearly as tumultuous as it sounds. 

Why would a single “high end” guard come to IU, let alone 2?  The idea that we’ll have a big ten championship team one year out of the portal is a pipe dream.  

31 minutes ago, Shooter said:

The portal is primarily made up of two types of players.  1) disgruntled guys looking for playing time and 2) dudes looking to move up a level.  Add a few who’s coaches got fired.    

Very few are studs, and if they are they are looking to go to a winning team i.e.; Dickenson.  

It’s going to be an uphill battle for mediocre mike.  

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Why would a single “high end” guard come to IU, let alone 2?  The idea that we’ll have a big ten championship team one year out of the portal is a pipe dream.  

$$$, opportunity to play in a big time conference, etc

Don’t misinterpret my comments to mean that I think IU is going to win the B10 next year, that’s not at all what I’ve said or even implied. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

The portal is primarily made up of two types of players.  1) disgruntled guys looking for playing time and 2) dudes looking to move up a level.  Add a few who’s coaches got fired.    

Very few are studs, and if they are they are looking to go to a winning team i.e.; Dickenson.  

It’s going to be an uphill battle for mediocre mike.  

There’s projected to be close to 1500 players in the portal. Assuming half those guys fit your criteria for #2, I like IU’s chances of landing 2-3 quality guards.