Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

I'll Be The Optimist For Once

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Are you the IU Scott guy?

It’s fun to poke fun at Purdue and all, but Matt Painter is a very good coach who, year in and year our, gets very good results despite coaching at an inferior school that lacks the advantages a school like IU has. He doesn’t land the best recruiting classes (in part because of coaching at Purdue), but over the past 9 seasons he has finished below 4th in the conference once and won it 3 times. That’s with zero top 30 recruiting classes. So, sure, nobody predicted Purdue winning the conference, but Painter regularly exceeds expectations. His teams do better than they should. When is the last time IU exceeded expectations? 

If Woodson wants to field a tournament team next season, he has to be a portal rockstar. Thus far he hasn’t been anything special in the portal. We’ll see if he can change that this season. 

It was a joke, I like and respect Painter as a coach. Yes I am IU Scott. I thought he did Alright in the Portal the first year and didn't have to use it this past season.

It's all about the portal at this point (and whether X is back). It's definitely doable, I'm guessing our NIL situation will look pretty good.

However of the non seniors, there are only three that I'd be truly disappointed about if they didn't come back. The rest I think I would just shrug my shoulders.

Genuinely asking, does anyone have hope for Bates? Is there a precedent for a huge sophomore to junior leap?

Bates is tough for me.  The first time I saw him I thought player.  Over time I see him as being limited to just being a scorer/shooter and he is not doing that well.  Most of his shots look good but he can’t get anything to go down whether it’s from three, midrange, or layups.  

Idk.  I still think he has something to him but it’s tough to see.  

1 minute ago, HoosierX said:

It's all about the portal at this point (and whether X is back). It's definitely doable, I'm guessing our NIL situation will look pretty good.

However of the non seniors, there are only three that I'd be truly disappointed about if they didn't come back. The rest I think I would just shrug my shoulders.

Genuinely asking, does anyone have hope for Bates? Is there a precedent for a huge sophomore to junior leap?

I’m sure it’s happened before, but his mind seems to be on thing$ other than basketball. Not sure how many teams are looking to throw big money at Mr. 0-13. He has about one good game for every 10 bad ones. He played well against PSU in the BTT. In the 15 other games he played in since January 22nd, he went 10-55 from the field (18.1%). I’m fine with him moving on. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

No I think he’s done

Bates has a noticeable skillset. But he’s been generally bad. I can see potentially the light flipping on but it’s hard to predict. His decision making is sometimes his worse attribute but I don’t know if that’s a product of limited PT. Same concerns for Gunn.

Neither are great on D. Both seem like they have the tools.

I definitely have concerns over who we get in the TP and it being enough. Same for returning guys. I started my concern for this mid season. I’m not seeing the level of names that I think can take us to the next level.

And if we are fighting to be a tournament team that isn’t the design of IU upper brass or Woodson. Staff has a lot of work to do to figure it out. An enormous challenge.

People want to compare Cupps to Braden Smith and infer the Purdue success model while forgetting that Edey was 95% of Purdues success this year. We don’t have an Edey. Reneau is our best chance at a dominant player next year and that is asking for a miracle.

I’m rambling but I don’t know what it’ll take.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m sure it’s happened before, but his mind seems to be on thing$ other than basketball. Not sure how many teams are looking to throw big money at Mr. 0-13. He has about one good game for every 10 bad ones. He played well against PSU in the BTT. In the 15 other games he played in since January 22nd, he went 10-55 from the field (18.1%). I’m fine with him moving on. 

Do we know he's after more NIL money? Honestly, if I'm him I'm hoping just to stay on the team and get whatever the non-star players at IU all get. It's very likely more than he would make anywhere else.

Just now, HoosierX said:

Do we know he's after more NIL money? Honestly, if I'm him I'm hoping just to stay on the team and get whatever the non-star players at IU all get. It's very likely more than he would make anywhere else.

It’s been insinuated in some of the other threads that he’s the bench player looking for money for both him and his family. Can’t fault a guy for wanting to get paid, but he didn’t do much to help himself out this year. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Bates has a noticeable skillset. But he’s been generally bad. I can see potentially the light flipping on but it’s hard to predict. His decision making is sometimes his worse attribute but I don’t know if that’s a product of limited PT. Same concerns for Gunn.

Neither are great on D. Both seem like they have the tools.

I definitely have concerns over who we get in the TP and it being enough. Same for returning guys. I started my concern for this mid season. I’m not seeing the level of names that I think can take us to the next level.

And if we are fighting to be a tournament team that isn’t the design of IU upper brass or Woodson. Staff has a lot of work to do to figure it out. An enormous challenge.

People want to compare Cupps to Braden Smith and infer the Purdue success model while forgetting that Edey was 95% of Purdues success this year. We don’t have an Edey. Reneau is our best chance at a dominant player next year and that is asking for a miracle.

I’m rambling but I don’t know what it’ll take.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I have to ask, what is his noticeable skillet? He's a serviceable shooter, what else is he above average at? He can't break anyone down off the dribble, he isn't crafty with his body control, he's not a great passer. He has a decent first step, but his best move is to put his head down, take one or two hard dribbles and then elevate for an often awkward shot that he usually misses.

18 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

i was optimistic that in a thread I thought was to be about optimism that people would be optimistic.

Eh, I mean even the creator of the ‘optimism thread’ wasn’t exactly optimistic.

“Looking forward, we might be an NIT/low seeded NCAAT team next year but in a way will be refreshing to see new faces leading the program in the post-TJD era.”

“But I think expectations should be that of "learning and growth" for next season.”

“Lot to look forward to for both programs, even if it is 2 years down the road for the men's”

Some people are inherently more optimistic than others. I look at next season and see a pretty significant down year. I view that as the most likely outcome. A whole lot has to go right during the offseason for that to change. We went 23-12 and to the round of 32 with arguably the best player in college basketball + a potential lottery pick pg. Who is stepping in to fill those holes? When you have a 65 year head coach, a rebuilding year doesn’t fill me with much optimism. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s been insinuated in some of the other threads that he’s the bench player looking for money for both him and his family. Can’t fault a guy for wanting to get paid, but he didn’t do much to help himself out this year. 

If true, I'm guessing that part of that is that they all know how much everyone else on the team is making. In his mind, he may think a lot of money being paid to TJD and others will be available. Beyond the minimum though, the NIL will be about market value and I agree he hasn't done much to help in that regard.

I was worried about Bates going into last offseason because life changes. Imagine being 19/20 and having to worry about a child and SO, now toss in playing big time college basketball. Doing all that without a really strong culture is absolutely tough. I thought he would struggle a bit this season because of those factors. Has he matured enough this season along with culture improvements that he could make a sophomore to junior leap? It's possible but I wouldn't be counting on it.

24 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

You can’t use the old criteria to judge a new game. It’s about NIL, playing time and the portal now. And, a knowledge on getting guys to the next level. We offer all that. 

We definitely have the potential to land some players but we'll actually need to do it then have them come together as a team. It's fun to be able to vastly improve every offseason.

My concern is that we don't fill the gaping holes that we have with the portal and really struggle next year. That will make recruiting spiral downward quickly. We have seen that in the past with recruiting and prior coaches.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We definitely have the potential to land some players but we'll actually need to do it then have them come together as a team. It's fun to be able to vastly improve every offseason.

That’s the majority of college basketball teams for the foreseeable future.

Even if you have a top recruiting class coming in they still have to mesh…..see UK

2 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

My concern is that we don't fill the gaping holes that we have with the portal and really struggle next year. That will make recruiting spiral downward quickly. We have seen that in the past with recruiting and prior coaches.

Important to be relavant for 24 and 25 .