Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Herotime

JHS— NBA Bound

Just now, Hovadipo said:

VO ruined Vo for me. I had to divide him into 2 entirely different people in my mind to cope. Still not over it.

VO is everything that is great about college basketball and a great example of why college basketball is wonderful. Players (including VO) can turn pro and change teams and cities every month for all I care. Vic will always be an Indiana alum and will always have his heart in Bloomington.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

VO is everything that is great about college basketball and a great example of why college basketball is wonderful. Players (including VO) can turn pro and change teams and cities every month for all I care. Vic will always be an Indiana alum and will always have his heart in Bloomington.

Hence me separating the two people entirely. He changed (or maybe showed his true colors, I'd like to think not though). I'm a huge Pacers fan, so I don't think my opinion on the pro version of him is out of line. He pulled some real BS on my favorite team at the end and he sucks for it.

Don't want to take away from Jalen though. My fine print was just an example after all!

33 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Ima gonna work on you getting over it.

Vic still loves you Hova, and if he'd read your post he'd have made this face:

Hovadipo

Just look at that guard. That’s the kind of player we’ve been missing (not including JHS). Athletic, monster competitive, 2-way player, willing and able to lock down (why does my iphone try to change lock to lick every time, lol) the other team’s best while attacking offensively. Gallo’s the closest but a support player (as much as I love his game). More killer players, please.

NBA draft board podcast did a focus on 21-30 draft prospects. They had JHS at 25.

Sadly, they absolutely ripped the Indiana offense. Called it archaic. Called it 90’s style NBA. Said they had a transfer prospect reach out to them for a system that fits and he was looking for this type style, they suggested Indiana, Georgetown, Providence as examples of this offense.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

NBA draft board podcast did a focus on 21-30 draft prospects. They had JHS at 25.

Sadly, they absolutely ripped the Indiana offense. Called it archaic. Called it 90’s style NBA. Said they had a transfer prospect reach out to them for a system that fits and he was looking for this type style, they suggested Indiana, Georgetown, Providence as examples of this offense.

All this said, I think JHS goes 12-20 after workouts.

And I really hope Woody opens things up a bit.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

In fairness to Woodson, he's alluded to the same thing, and pretty much said he's never run an offense like this but was playing to his personnel. 
I actually like that. My frustration with some of our previous coaches was that they ran their system regardless of personnel, I'd much rather have a coach that adapts to his guys strengths. 
With that said, I also think Woodson could have done some more things to play a more current style this season, especially given TJD's ball-handling and passing improvements. 

Yes to all.

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

NBA guys famously don’t watch a ton of college ball and if they do it isn’t anything more than to scout players.  There was nothing fundamentally “wrong” about our offense other than personnel limitations. And to that end, our most athletic perimeter player was injured. 

If they have JHS at 25th, I’ll assume one of their big problems was his low TS% driven by his penchant for long 2’s. And there’s some merit to that. But I think that was more JHS taking what the defense gave him. The NBA generally tries to discourage that shot, though.   

On a side note, if he’s realistically in the 25 range there could be upside in him returning. But it sounds like he’s made his decision. 

NBA guys famously don’t watch a ton of college ball and if they do it isn’t anything more than to scout players.  There was nothing fundamentally “wrong” about our offense other than personnel limitations. And to that end, our most athletic perimeter player was injured. 

If they have JHS at 25th, I’ll assume one of their big problems was his low TS% driven by his penchant for long 2’s. And there’s some merit to that. But I think that was more JHS taking what the defense gave him. The NBA generally tries to discourage that shot, though.   

On a side note, if he’s realistically in the 25 range there could be upside in him returning. But it sounds like he’s made his decision. 

They do admit most scouts have him higher. These guys watch tons of college hoop and they adjust their rankings constantly. I’m firm JHS goes higher than 25 but they way they were dissing our offense on a “national” stage is tough.

They look at a lot of metrics.

But they do mention the heavy emphasis on TJD was a huge factor. And like BGleas says, I’m ok with that. You’ve got to play to your personnel and strength.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

In fairness to Woodson, he's alluded to the same thing, and pretty much said he's never run an offense like this but was playing to his personnel. 

I actually like that. My frustration with some of our previous coaches was that they ran their system regardless of personnel, I'd much rather have a coach that adapts to his guys strengths. 

With that said, I also think Woodson could have done some more things to play a more current style this season, especially given TJD's ball-handling and passing improvements. 

I had a lot of frustration with Woodson’s and staff’s decisions this season, including that we still shot a low volume from the arc despite that we had shooting at better percentages, while we continued to play through TJD/inside and even though his recognition and ability to kick it out of the double-T was much better -

but, now we’ll see if what Woodson says about how he wants to play holds water, including in how he continues to recruit this year and next from the portal and HS, and how he spreads the floor. His NBA coaching style is consistent with what he’s saying, so there’s reason for optimism, I just want to see that change come fast, no reason for it not to.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

As much as I agree, I’d also add the offense ended up Kenpom top 30. We all wish they’d taken more 3s, but the O hasn’t been this good since the Crean years.

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They do admit most scouts have him higher. These guys watch tons of college hoop and they adjust their rankings constantly. I’m firm JHS goes higher than 25 but they way they were dissing our offense on a “national” stage is tough.

They look at a lot of metrics.

But they do mention the heavy emphasis on TJD was a huge factor. And like BGleas says, I’m ok with that. You’ve got to play to your personnel and strength.

Meh…NBA guys are often bad when it comes to Xs and Os. I’d wager guys like Embiid and Giannis would be more dominant if they played a style closer to our back to the basket offense with TJD this year than their coaches indulging them with letting the shoot 3’s and get catches 15ft from the hoop and face up.   

JHS has plenty of opportunities to launch 3’s this year. He was a respectable 33.3% shooter from there and he still preferred to step in and take 15-18 footers. He got to initiate the offense all year long with a high pnr, just like the pros. 

33 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Meh…NBA guys are often bad when it comes to Xs and Os. I’d wager guys like Embiid and Giannis would be more dominant if they played a style closer to our back to the basket offense with TJD this year than their coaches indulging them with letting the shoot 3’s and get catches 15ft from the hoop and face up.   

JHS has plenty of opportunities to launch 3’s this year. He was a respectable 33.3% shooter from there and he still preferred to step in and take 15-18 footers. He got to initiate the offense all year long with a high pnr, just like the pros. 

NBA guys are excellent with X's and O's. Way more advanced then college coaches. 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

NBA guys are excellent with X's and O's. Way more advanced then college coaches. 

Some are and some aren’t. It just depends on the individual.