Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Herotime

JHS— NBA Bound

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

It doesn’t. What did they specifically do prioritize JHS shooting in the midrange?  Seems to me most of his screens started well out side the 3pt line. 

And how is it antiquated in comparison to high volume NBA midrange shooters like Chris Paul and Derozen? 

https://hoopshype.com/lists/chris-paul-kevin-durant-nikola-jokic-demar-derozan-midrange/ 

Derozen averages 70% of his shots made from the midrange. His coach? “Antiquated” NBA nobody Greg Popovich…

The antiquated word isn’t mine. It was the podcast with high level scouts and they were using that terminology when discussing JHS.  But the antiquated comments pertained to Indiana’s offense specifically.  

If anything I’m defending Woody on here as he coached to player strengths. 

But they specifically referenced the actions leading to the post feeds and the type of pin down screens we ran.  

you Wild’n out BTW.  

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

But they specifically referenced the actions leading to the post feeds and the type of pin down screens we ran.

I don’t disagree with those criticisms. But it has very little to do with JHS’s midrange shots. That’s my point.  JHS’s penchant for midrange shots can be attributed to several factors, but scheme really isn’t one of them. 

Those scouts were wrong. Typical NBA blogger nonsense.  Thus my point about half of them being worse than Indiana HS coaches.  

you Wildn out BTW.”. 

Nah…I once got into a loud argument at the Wooden Classic with a Pacers scout in front of his future boss because he told me Troy Muphy wasn’t a first round player. That one I sort of wish I had back…lol. 

If the average IN HS coach is better than pro coaches, why are NBA teams not poaching IN HS coaches left and right? Do NBA teams like bad basketball and not winning? Seems like the simple solution for teams that want to improve would be to just hire some IN HS coaches, at least as assistants in offensive or defensive coordinator type positions. I guess this would apply to colleges, too. It must be a well kept secret how great IN HS coaches are although it's surprising that college coaches wouldn't notice when scouting players.

On 4/2/2023 at 6:43 PM, go iu bb said:

If the average IN HS coach is better than pro coaches, why are NBA teams not poaching IN HS coaches left and right

I said at Xs and Os. And Xs and Os aren’t what drive NBA basketball. What is so hard to understand about that?  

NBA is about talent management. The best coach ever in the NBA was a glorified psychologist who outsourced his Xs and Os to a college coach.    

Your question is the equivalent of asking, “if Shaq shot 60% from the FT line why didn’t coaches just replace him with Steve Alford who shot 90%?”  Get it? 

BTW, 21 for JHS is slipping into a zone where coming back could be more beneficial. Slipping past ~25 would put you squarely in the realm of coming back to IU is a good idea. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

I said at Xs and Os. And Xs and Os aren’t what drive NBA basketball. What is so hard to understand about that?  

NBA is about talent management. The best coach ever in the NBA was a glorified psychologist who outsourced his Xs and Os to a college coach.    

Your question is the equivalent of asking, “if Shaq shot 60% from the FT line why didn’t coaches just replace him with Steve Alford who shot 90%?”  Get it? 

BTW, 21 for JHS is slipping into a zone where coming back could be more beneficial. Slipping past ~25 would put you squarely in the realm of coming back to IU is a good idea. 

How convenient for you to cut off the rest of my statement where I address that. See bolded below. The head coach has to deal with personalities but assistance can concentrate on the Xs and Os. Get it? 

On 4/2/2023 at 4:43 PM, go iu bb said:

If the average IN HS coach is better than pro coaches, why are NBA teams not poaching IN HS coaches left and right? Do NBA teams like bad basketball and not winning? Seems like the simple solution for teams that want to improve would be to just hire some IN HS coaches, at least as assistants in offensive or defensive coordinator type positions. I guess this would apply to colleges, too. It must be a well kept secret how great IN HS coaches are although it's surprising that college coaches wouldn't notice when scouting players.

8 hours ago, str8baller said:

What a bunch of nonsense!