Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

They Fired Tom Allen!

37 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Did some extensive analytics, crunched some numbers and came up with this ... 

If we can get two million people to each pitch in $10, we'd raise $20M. 

If we can do that, I'm sure Dolson can find a way to cover the rest. 

Count me in. 

Only if all 2M get to vote for the next coach. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Exactly. So IMO the posts that posit that IU is just gonna keep on keeping on without in-depth analysis are completely over-simplistic.

So, do you think that analysis is done? They just hired a new OL coach. It would be kinda weird to fire him after that.

Look, lot's of guys hitting the portal.  But me thinks some harsh reality is comming.  Not like they lit the world on fire here.  If they think the grass will be greener at a MAC school, then so be it.  But Allen definitely needs to get his crap together and give the guys who stay and new recruits something to play for.    

T. A. and his contract people did a great job, a beautiful job of taking care of him.  It was a wonderful time for T. A.  paired with an unknowing gullible administration of what they were doing in terms of a football head coach that was starved and desperate for a winning football program.  Plus it brought them favor and security a few more years).  It happens a lot in many places with no accountability.  
Sure there are job changes after damage is already done and financial security is gained and those in charge…charge into another endeavor.
Is it going to be much different with whoever is next??? There are many many reasons IU football is a loser.  (Even weak teams (not counting Cincinnati or the better teams) non conference games scheduled are often competitive for IU.  The winning coach Mallory had more losses than wins.  For every winner there is a loser.  And in football maybe for IU the best hope is a Tie.

Yes, IU is a washing machine (pick the brand) and those loads of laundry are expensive.

When does IU move on from Tom Allen? After this year with a $20M buyout or after the 2024 with an $8M buyout? 

If IU moves on, will we go after a proven coach in the ACC or Big 12 with all the uncertainty regarding conference realignment? Or will it be more of the same MAC level coaches?

1 hour ago, WhiteyMcSpeed said:

When does IU move on from Tom Allen? After this year with a $20M buyout or after the 2024 with an $8M buyout? 

If IU moves on, will we go after a proven coach in the ACC or Big 12 with all the uncertainty regarding conference realignment? Or will it be more of the same MAC level coaches?

I wouldn’t mind if somehow IU landed Garrett Riley. Maybe he would like the opportunity to coach against his brother.

I don’t think it’s cost effective to move on with a $20m buyout. With an $8m buyout negotiated down to $4m? Sure.

Zero chance any P5 coach is leaving their job to come here. None. If we get anyone with head coaching experience, it will be at the FCS level or maybe G5, but even that might be a stretch. This job sucks and every coach knows it. 

4 hours ago, WhiteyMcSpeed said:

It's ridiculous how terrible that contact was for IU. It was such an overreaction. Allen isn't the only one who should be fired.

To answer your question, IU waits. What's another losing season at IU, after all?

When they eventually get rid of Allen, they'll look for his replacement on the cheap. Likely won't even do a real search, just the usual half-a$$ed search. 

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Moving on from Tom Allen with a 20M buyout would be the epitome of stupidity. It's a waste of time and energy move on from him at all until someone makes a dedicated effort to make the job want-able. 

Colorado says hi. 

I’ll preface this by saying that I agree with you that the university won’t do anything until after 2024. Historically we’re the worst P5 program in the country. What’s one more awful season after this one? Basketball is looking good so most fans will be satisfied and the AD won’t face as much heat if he keeps Allen after this year. 

With that said, I hate that mentality. It’s a defeatist mentality. Allen is in year 7. We had more penalty yards yesterday than rushing yards, and only 7 more passing yards than penalty yards. Our offense is nonexistent. Yet again. The old excuse was that we were limited as a program because we were stuck in the East. Well, the divisions are gone. There’s no reason we can’t become a legitimately decent program now. You don’t hold on to a failed coach because you don’t know who to replace him with. You fire him and try again. A halfway serious football school would send Allen packing after this year. Will we? 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

A halfway serious football school would send Allen packing after this year. Will we? 

True. That's why he'll get at least one more year. 

I'm not sure I get the argument that IU isn't serious about football because Allen is still coaching here. His current salary was a huge mistake and an overreaction, but was that not indicative of a program that appreciated what it had and wanted to see it continue? Allen had us in a pretty good spot after 2019 and 2020. Anyone trying to argue that now or downplay it is doing so with the benefit of hindsight. A program that wasn't serious about winning would have let him walk and made a cheap hire to replace him. 

I fully expect him to be here next season, but not because of apathy or indifference from our AD. We'd be paying him $5 million for the next four seasons in addition to whatever we'd be paying the new coach. Where's that money coming from? This isn't like basketball where we have aging fans who would sell a kidney to see the program be a national threat again. 

31 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm not sure I get the argument that IU isn't serious about football because Allen is still coaching here. His current salary was a huge mistake and an overreaction, but was that not indicative of a program that appreciated what it had and wanted to see it continue? Allen had us in a pretty good spot after 2019 and 2020. Anyone trying to argue that now or downplay it is doing so with the benefit of hindsight. A program that wasn't serious about winning would have let him walk and made a cheap hire to replace him. 

I fully expect him to be here next season, but not because of apathy or indifference from our AD. We'd be paying him $5 million for the next four seasons in addition to whatever we'd be paying the new coach. Where's that money coming from? This isn't like basketball where we have aging fans who would sell a kidney to see the program be a national threat again. 

Problem is, they threw a contract at him without seeing if the success could actually continue.. bigger problem is, they threw the contract at him and no one else wanted him to begin with. That should have spoken volumes. No one was ever going to try and poach him.