Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

8 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Fun little blast from the past ... 

Still don't see how that last layup by Burke or the follow-up tip didn't go in but ... ours is not to reason why. 

https://x.com/TreyKnowsBall/status/1801626349347438879

Will never ever understand how that Morgan tip doesn’t go in. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Fun little blast from the past ... 

Still don't see how that last layup by Burke or the follow-up tip didn't go in but ... ours is not to reason why. 

https://x.com/TreyKnowsBall/status/1801626349347438879

What a game and comeback by the Hoosiers.  I thought Crean coached them well down the stretch because they seem to make the right plays!

16 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

What a game and comeback by the Hoosiers.  I thought Crean coached them well down the stretch because they seem to make the right plays!

Yep, from memory they went to the baseline cross screen for Zeller on all possessions down the stretch and he scored or hit FTs. Just rewatched, that was 2/3 and the other was a high PNR. The other thing that stands out rewatching the end is that M went 1/4 from the line with a parade of guys (GRIII, THJ, Burke) who you’d expect to hit at least 3/4.

I’ll also always remember that Beilein played some deep bench guys just briefly, in at least one case because he was a senior, I think. And of course that’s not the reason UM lost, at least not more than the 1000 other things you can point to in any one point game…but man, I wonder if he’d like to have some of those choices back.

I’d love to ask Yogi if he got a piece of the tip in that rolled out.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

No worries at all we’ve got a backup. 

Stop it! Yup, this is the reason you need another serviceable big, not the one we got, but a better one. We always seem to come up short on something.

Stop it! Yup, this is the reason you need another serviceable big, not the one we got, but a better one. We always seem to come up short on something.

I mean, yeah, I’m mostly joking here because it’s too early to be concerned but with our Injury history I don’t like what we did with our bigs.

Get this. We have an open scholarship. It’s allowed to be used. Maybe find a body that can play emergency spot minutes if god forbid we have 2 big guy injuries then **** really hits the fan.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I mean, yeah, I’m mostly joking here because it’s too early to be concerned but with our Injury history I don’t like what we did with our bigs.

Get this. We have an open scholarship. It’s allowed to be used. Maybe find a body that can play emergency spot minutes if god forbid we have 2 big guy injuries then **** really hits the fan.

Correct

13 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, we could get a Jeremiah April that would sit on the bench and possibly play 17 minutes the entire year. Or a Tom Pritchard that could take a scholarship for four years but be a great teammate.  Yeah, having a 3rd stringer that would sit on the bench would give me a great confidence.  Especially after having our starter and another backup F/C out for whatever reason.  What a difference that would make in the season. 

But if the 3rd stringer went down...then where would we be?  Or a 4th stringer...?  

/snark

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Yeah, we could get a Jeremiah April that would sit on the bench and possibly play 17 minutes the entire year. Or a Tom Prichard that could take a scholarship for four years but be a great teammate.  Yeah, having a 3rd stringer that would sit on the bench would give me a great confidence.  Especially after having our starter and another backup F/C out for whatever reason.  What a difference that would make in the season. 

But if the 3rd stringer went down...then where would we be?  Or a 4th stringer...?  

/snark

Pritch!

14 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I agree it would be helpful but I don’t think we could attract a playable backup with the limited minutes we have to offer.  Right now we are at Ballo, MR and then Hatton.  Last year we had Sparks, who “on paper” looked like a great spot minute guy (and we were lucky to land an all-Mac player because he loved the idea of playing at IU) but he only played 2 minutes against Illinois when Ware was out injured. I assume Hatton could handle that.

It would be great if we could get another 5 that is good enough to fill-in in case of injury, and willing to spend most of the season sitting at the far end of the bench, but I don’t see who that would be.

I agree it would be helpful but I don’t think we could attract a playable backup with the limited minutes we have to offer.  Right now we are at Ballo, MR and then Hatton.  Last year we had Sparks, who “on paper” looked like a great spot minute guy (and we were lucky to land an all-Mac player because he loved the idea of playing at IU) but he only played 2 minutes against Illinois when Ware was out injured. I assume Hatton could handle that.

It would be great if we could get another 5 that is good enough to fill-in in case of injury, and willing to spend most of the season sitting at the far end of the bench, but I don’t see who that would be.

It’s all how you sell it. Tell yourself you can’t and you won’t. Purdue for example has 2 seven footers and Kaufman might be their starting 5. I’ve used the example of Bidunga at Kansas before but he’ll be lucky to get 10 minutes.

You sell a developmental spot AT Indiana with NIL, some of the best training, facilities in the nation and get a young talented kid as a backup option. It’s not a 4 year deal. If they bolt bolt the following year, who cares.

Lots of kids would say yes to that if framed correctly. At this point? Idk. But in the transfer portal or freshman class for sure.

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s all how you sell it. Tell yourself you can’t and you won’t. Purdue for example has 2 seven footers and Kaufman might be their starting 5. I’ve used the example of Bidunga at Kansas before but he’ll be lucky to get 10 minutes.

You sell a developmental spot AT Indiana with NIL, some of the best training, facilities in the nation and get a young talented kid as a backup option. It’s not a 4 year deal. If they bolt bolt the following year, who cares.

Lots of kids would say yes to that if framed correctly. At this point? Idk. But in the transfer portal or freshman class for sure.

Not going to happen.  We might be lucky to land a JC guy but probably not this late in the process 

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Kansas has Hunter, Bidunga and a bunch of guards and wings. Bidunga will get a lot more minutes than we have to offer (albeit not the amount of minutes 5* normally get),

I agree that we have a TON to sell but not sure it outweighs “enjoy the bench”. We will see. A serviceable big man would be great to get but I don’t see it.