Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PF Malik Reneau to INDIANA

5 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

What if TJD decides to test the NBA waters and not hire an agent? How does that affect Race and JG's decisions? That would be after April 15th, right?

I think April 24th is the deadline to declare and around June 10th is the deadline to return to college.

12 hours ago, Chris007 said:

But they have to be close to knowing right now.

As illustrated by the Nigel Pack situation, players like Pack and TJD will get good, clear feedback from NBA teams before the deadline and way before the combine.

IU has one open grant for next year as of now and thus could take Reneau even if TJD, Race, and JG haven’t publicly indicated plans by then. Obviously their decisions will impact available PT but Reneau could be informed of private info before announcements.

Someone with more behind-the-scenes insight might know, but I would guess Race is the guy the staff can try to ask for an earlier decision. TJD has to wait on the league, JG has three years of eligibility left, but Race has one year. Are you still playing CBB, and if so, here? That’s less complicated in his situation.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Holy **** Reneau is playing well.

GREAT footwork.

GREAT instincts.

Also shows what he learned getting his a$$ kicked in practice by Jalen Duren all last year. He’s just crazy physical. He keeps his body pinned to the defender, uses his superior footwork and gives the defender no room to react to him. Either gets a shot or a foul. He’s a couple of years ahead of most undersized post kids. 

If we're able to pry Reneau away from the state of Florida, then wow.

Get him on campus and I'll give us a puncher's chance at landing him.

Really impressive player with nice footwork.  Not high-level athlete but that's ok.  I love his defensive capabilities from day 1 too.

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

Also shows what he learned getting his a$$ kicked in practice by Jalen Duren all last year. He’s just crazy physical. He keeps his body pinned to the defender, uses his superior footwork and gives the defender no room to react to him. Either gets a shot or a foul. He’s a couple of years ahead of most undersized post kids. 

And maybe best of all, he doesn’t show like a one and done. Neither does JHS.

Just fantastically mature young players. And both P5 rotation players from day 1.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

2022 GEICO High School Nationals Champions.

Malik is impressive and will be an awesome college player. He seems like he would be a three year guy that will put up huge stats. 

He isn't explosive but man he has a high motor and great skill around the basket. 

I'd be surprised if IU gets him if Trayce comes back. I can see him starting right away at a lot of the other schools recruiting him. Not sure if he and Trayce could play together at a time. But man, this kid is going to be good. Thought he was the best player on the court today. Just solid all around. 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

And maybe best of all, he doesn’t show like a one and done. Neither does JHS.

Just fantastically mature young players. And both P5 rotation players from day 1.

I'm sure this was said with the '12 and '13 classes that were overall a disappointment minus Yogi, Troy, Hartman, and Vonleh but the '22 and '23 classes I think are leading this program in the right direction. Multiple guards who can shoot and handle the ball. An athletic 4. I'm extremely excited. All these games this weekend will come down to guard play. That's what has held this program back the last 5-6 years. These guys are all going to have a massive impact right away. I think JHS is a day 1 starter and CJ Gunn gets some minutes as a freshman. Malik could start day 1 depending on the roster. But, like you said, I don't see any 1 and done players. Lot of 3-4 year guys. 

Named MVP of the GEICO finals.

While he may lack the size of some others, the hard-hat approach Malik Reneau brings is steady. You know what you will get from him, and while he may not be above the rim, drilling deep threes or saucing up his man off the bounce, Reneau produces. Reneau had a typical showing in the championship game with 14 points on 5 of 10 from the field. He added 12 rebounds, six of which were offensive. Reneau recently de-committed from Florida when head coach Mike White took the same job at Georgia. Miami is the school that has been most commonly linked with Reneau.