Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

Nick Sheridan Fired as OC

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Except for when he scored our only points! Lol

Which honestly makes it make even less sense for me. I thought he was hurt and that’s why the walk-on was starting. Then here he comes. So, he’s healthy and then you bench him after you burn his redshirt. But whatever. Just glad that mess is over. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Which honestly makes it make even less sense for me. I thought he was hurt and that’s why the walk-on was starting. Then here he comes. So, he’s healthy and then you bench him after you burn his redshirt. But whatever. Just glad that mess is over. 

I’ve got no answers. Their use of him this season was the strangest thing. He has the arm talent. We sucked and weren’t making a bowl, why not let him sling it like he did against Maryland? How else is he supposed to learn? Get all of the nastiness on tape and let him get the feel for things instead of making him a wildcat QB. I defend the staff a lot, but that’s inexcusable. 

51 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We chose to play the 5th string quarterback. The four star freshman, highest qb recruit in program history was sitting on the bench healthy. 

McCulley started as the 4th string until Williams got hurt

23 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I’ve got no answers. Their use of him this season was the strangest thing. He has the arm talent. We sucked and weren’t making a bowl, why not let him sling it like he did against Maryland? How else is he supposed to learn? Get all of the nastiness on tape and let him get the feel for things instead of making him a wildcat QB. I defend the staff a lot, but that’s inexcusable. 

I was told that they played Gremel because McCaulley was the one checking to the QB run plays on his own. He didn’t have confidence to throw the ball for whatever reason so he kept falling back on his legs even when the coaches were telling him pass. Take it for what it’s worth.  On a side note if coaching changes were imminent and known for awhile there could be a lot more that the players have been dealing with behind the scenes that could make things confusing especially for a freshman

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

McCulley started as the 4th string until Williams got hurt

Williams tore his ACL in March. McCulley wasn’t even on campus yet. Who knows who would’ve been ahead of who at the start of the season. Regardless, you can’t really use ‘we played our 5th string quarterback’ as an excuse when you made the conscious decision not to play a healthy player who was ahead of the 5th string guy on the depth chart. 

27 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I was told that they played Gremel because McCaulley was the one checking to the QB run plays on his own. He didn’t have confidence to throw the ball for whatever reason so he kept falling back on his legs even when the coaches were telling him pass. Take it for what it’s worth.  On a side note if coaching changes were imminent and known for awhile there could be a lot more that the players have been dealing with behind the scenes that could make things confusing especially for a freshman

I’m just not sure why they were trying to do all that RPO stuff with him if he wasn’t comfortable with it. We never really ran that stuff before DMC started playing so it isn’t like that was the “system”. I know TA threw him under the bus at one point in a presser saying he’s defaulting to run on RPOs so why are we doing that in the first place? The game moving too fast for a freshman QB that wasn’t expected to play this year isn’t the kid’s fault. Just really friggin’ frustrating watching them trip over themselves all year with the QB situation. 

It’s like the staff ( maybe just Allen) has been consumed with playing Penix to the point that we lost a good QB to NW and we had no other options at the position this season. Didn’t take a rocket scientist to know we needed a back up to Penix.

17 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I’m just not sure why they were trying to do all that RPO stuff with him if he wasn’t comfortable with it. We never really ran that stuff before DMC started playing so it isn’t like that was the “system”. I know TA threw him under the bus at one point in a presser saying he’s defaulting to run on RPOs so why are we doing that in the first place? The game moving too fast for a freshman QB that wasn’t expected to play this year isn’t the kid’s fault. Just really friggin’ frustrating watching them trip over themselves all year with the QB situation. 

I agree.  I think we had a coach trying to save his job (Sheridan) at a detriment to younger player development.  My opinion is why throw a freshman to the wolves in the B1G when he had no off season practicing as a 1st or 2nd team QB, no in game experience, and could redshirt.  The season was already lost and then “benching” him does nothing for psyche.  I’d guess, with no inside knowledge, that there was a difference of opinion between the coaches over which QB to play and it seemed playing time was given with no consistency.  Just glad to put this mess of a season behind us and see what we can salvage moving forward

7 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not sure it's as simple as Osterman saying everybody was happy with Sheridan last year. Yes, when we were 6-1 -- everything seemed fine and dandy.

But at the same time, I remember thinking that if it weren't for what was a pretty good defense, we could've faced much more adversity. As I watched those games last year, I couldn't help but think that we had left a ton of points on the field. We had 38 against Michigan -- should've had at least 50. Scored 24 against MSU -- should've had at least 50. Scored 14 against Wisconsin -- should've had 28 or so. Scored 27 against Maryland -- shoulda had 40 or so. Many times, we seemed to do just enough. 

Just my take, however. 

I don't like hindsight, but yes, there were problems last year on offense despite winning.  We had an incredibly fortunate year last in terms of our offense staying relativiely healthy + lack of covid cases occurring.  We were putting up 3.3 yards per carry last year and completed only 58% of our passes.  We won with defense, lack of penalties, and turnover margin.

|

36 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I agree.  I think we had a coach trying to save his job (Sheridan) at a detriment to younger player development.  My opinion is why throw a freshman to the wolves in the B1G when he had no off season practicing as a 1st or 2nd team QB, no in game experience, and could redshirt.  The season was already lost and then “benching” him does nothing for psyche.  I’d guess, with no inside knowledge, that there was a difference of opinion between the coaches over which QB to play and it seemed playing time was given with no consistency.  Just glad to put this mess of a season behind us and see what we can salvage moving forward

Completely wasted a game with him playing at Michigan State where he ran the ball twice.  PLayed him against Ohio State but basically didn't let him throw the ball.  Got one run against Purdue.

Boom.  That gets him his redshirt.  No reason if you didn't think he was ready to waste his redshirt.  Have him and Gremel split backup duties by game.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Williams tore his ACL in March. McCulley wasn’t even on campus yet. Who knows who would’ve been ahead of who at the start of the season. Regardless, you can’t really use ‘we played our 5th string quarterback’ as an excuse when you made the conscious decision not to play a healthy player who was ahead of the 5th string guy on the depth chart. 

IMHO, Williams would have been the third string QB if he hadn't gotten injured.....with a shot at third.  They really liked him entering spring ball and with Penix sidelined, he was going to get quite a few snaps with the first string offense in the spring.  My guess is as the third string QB, McCulley was not getting much reps ever with the starters....until he was starting.

15 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Hey -- does Brady Allen's dad coach?

I know it’s water under the bridge at this point, but does anybody know if we were ever really in the mix for Brady Allen beyond just having an offer out to him?  I didn’t even know there was a unanimous 4-star 2022 QB in the state until a few months ago when I saw him on Purdue’ committed list.  He looks to be a solid talent and looked really good in the 3A title game over the weekend with 5 TD’s.

1 minute ago, craigyv88 said:

I know it’s water under the bridge at this point, but does anybody know if we were ever really in the mix for Brady Allen beyond just having an offer out to him?  I didn’t even know there was a unanimous 4-star 2022 QB in the state until a few months ago when I saw him on Purdue’ committed list.  He looks to be a solid talent and looked really good in the 3A title game over the weekend with 5 TD’s.

I honestly had never heard of him until this season, either. 

He also threw 3 interceptions last weekend and got sacked for a safety, but all you hear anyone talking about is how amazing he looked against 3A competition. 

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

He also threw 3 interceptions last weekend and got sacked for a safety, but all you hear anyone talking about is how amazing he looked against 3A competition. 

You are right, they definitely have a funny way of omitting the other stuff.  I did see a highlight of him getting sacked in the end zone by Joe Strickland, but everything else I've seen of him has made him look like a pretty special talent.  We'll see it it's true.  I just don't like seeing Purdue get nice things.

34 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

32 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Trying not to hijack this thread..  First I'm happy for him and his team for what they accomplished, glad to see that community bring home the hardware.  But Allen doesn't get past Regionals if not for a few kids transferring in. Two in particular. The two never left the field and one had a key 4th and 8 play on defense. And during his HS career his competition level week after week wasn't something to speak about. I've seen him play and I'm a firm believer had his HS career been played in the conference the two players I spoke about above came from we might not be talking about him like this at all. Allen is good but let's pump the breaks here on just how good he is. We'll find out soon enough now that he'll be playing in the big boy league. Best of luck to him for sure but I'm not believing the hype, keep in mind he's never won a Sectional up until his team was built by the transfer portal.  It might actually be a good thing he's going to that school up north. Time will tell though and I hope I don't eat crow for posting this.