Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

Nick Sheridan Fired as OC

3 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

He hired DeBoer didn’t he? 

DeBoer got WRs in some space. For whatever reason, Sheridan ran it up the middle and every route was a long waited process to throw to the sidelines. Hardly ever anything over the middle and into space. Everything took forever to develop. Getting in space on quick passes to the middle is when guys like Wynn were killing teams and that ended up opening up deep throws and the sidelines. 

1 minute ago, BtownStrength said:

I mentioned it in another thread, but I would like to see us thrown mad money at Dan Mullen. Florida job chewed him up, but he is a very good offensive mind. May be a pipe dream though. 

A smart school that loses/fires a HC is going to snap him up. He didn’t meet Florida expectations, but outside of Urban who can? I think he’s a really good HC. 

3 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

I mentioned it in another thread, but I would like to see us thrown mad money at Dan Mullen. Florida job chewed him up, but he is a very good offensive mind. May be a pipe dream though. 

Seems like a pipe dream. He's an Urban disciple so my prediction is he spends 2022 as a consultant of sorts with the Jaguars then jumps into an HC spot that opens up or he makes enough headway in a minor capacity in my made up Jags job that he gets linked to an NFL OC job.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

A smart school that loses/fires a HC is going to snap him up. He didn’t meet Florida expectations, but outside of Urban who can? I think he’s a really good HC. 

Agreed that he will probably get a HC gig, as he is deserving of one. I doubt a top tier school takes a look at him, but I could see a Texas Tech quality program giving him a shot. 

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

A smart school that loses/fires a HC is going to snap him up. He didn’t meet Florida expectations, but outside of Urban who can? 

giphy.gif

Sorry, but had to post this -- LOL! Florida had fired Spurrier's replacement about the time he parted ways with the Redskins. He explored a return to Gainesville, but the Gators brass wanted him to formally interview, etc., while he thought they should just give him  the gig. Word his, he pointed to the national championship trophy and said, "That's my resume." 

OK -- back to Nick Sheridan. 

14 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not sure it's as simple as Osterman saying everybody was happy with Sheridan last year. Yes, when we were 6-1 -- everything seemed fine and dandy.

But at the same time, I remember thinking that if it weren't for what was a pretty good defense, we could've faced much more adversity. As I watched those games last year, I couldn't help but think that we had left a ton of points on the field. We had 38 against Michigan -- should've had at least 50. Scored 24 against MSU -- should've had at least 50. Scored 14 against Wisconsin -- should've had 28 or so. Scored 27 against Maryland -- shoulda had 40 or so. Many times, we seemed to do just enough. 

Just my take, however. 

Let’s not forget about the bowl game either. Ole Miss had one of the worst defenses in the country and we couldn’t do much. We basically could run at will and yet we abandoned the run game for large portions of the game.

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not sure it's as simple as Osterman saying everybody was happy with Sheridan last year. Yes, when we were 6-1 -- everything seemed fine and dandy.

But at the same time, I remember thinking that if it weren't for what was a pretty good defense, we could've faced much more adversity. As I watched those games last year, I couldn't help but think that we had left a ton of points on the field. We had 38 against Michigan -- should've had at least 50. Scored 24 against MSU -- should've had at least 50. Scored 14 against Wisconsin -- should've had 28 or so. Scored 27 against Maryland -- shoulda had 40 or so. Many times, we seemed to do just enough. 

Just my take, however. 

Our run game was terrible last year. 12th in the conference in yards per game and 13th in the conference in yards per attempt. Penix was our whole offense. When he went down, the offense struggled. We gained 217 yards against Wisconsin and only won because our defense held them to 6 points. Our defense was great. 1st in the conference in interceptions. 1st in turnovers per game. 2nd in sacks. 1st in red zone defense. 4th in points allowed per game.

Our offense benefitted quite a bit from a defense that led the conference in takeaways. 

4 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Agreed that he will probably get a HC gig, as he is deserving of one. I doubt a top tier school takes a look at him, but I could see a Texas Tech quality program giving him a shot. 

He thrived at Miss State which I think is a similar program. Seems like a good fit for him. 

Season spiraled out of control and didn’t help when Penix underperformed and then got hurt.  Didn’t need that with how our schedule was set up this year. Sheridan will be fine as football people know these things happen then a change has to happen and heads roll.  Now is Allen’s chance to make an even bigger splash with hiring the right guy with instant credibility at OC and actually turn the momentum around in IU’s favor.  We shall see … 

1 hour ago, BtownStrength said:

As a HC yes. He will get another HC position or a high profile coordinator.

1 hour ago, ArchieNoMo said:

Season spiraled out of control and didn’t help when Penix underperformed and then got hurt.  Didn’t need that with how our schedule was set up this year. Sheridan will be fine as football people know these things happen then a change has to happen and heads roll.  Now is Allen’s chance to make an even bigger splash with hiring the right guy with instant credibility at OC and actually turn the momentum around in IU’s favor.  We shall see … 

He’ll be fine as in he’ll get a job of some sort. But he won’t be an OC at another power 5 school.

Dolson was being kind.  There are at least 2 more assistants that needed to go. CTA's check should have reflected those as well.  Not like he's a 'hot commodity'.  Hope I'm wrong, but at this point I don't have a lot of confidence in A's OC judgment. 

Hope his revised contract has a win '6' minimum. 

23 minutes ago, Scot said:

Dolson was being kind.  There are at least 2 more assistants that needed to go. CTA's check should have reflected those as well.  Not like he's a 'hot commodity'.  Hope I'm wrong, but at this point I don't have a lot of confidence in A's OC judgment. 

Hope his revised contract has a win '6' minimum. 

Hopefully this is  more of hiring the offensive coordinator first, then the new oc and Allen will evaluate the rest of the offensive staff together.