Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2025) - PG Jalen Haralson

29 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

hadn't been following lately - how are we with Jalen?  We feeling good?  On edge? 

In summary?

We have as good a chance as any and  a better chance than some. But as with any top ten recruit, there will be fierce competition from a few other big dogs. 

Unless he cancels visits it's gonna be a nail biter.

Given our recent portal success and our high quality late high school additions, I am considerably less anxious about high school kids decisions. Would really like to have him, especially since we have been talking about for a long time. However, I no longer see anyone as a must get.

21 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Given our recent portal success and our high quality late high school additions, I am considerably less anxious about high school kids decisions. Would really like to have him, especially since we have been talking about for a long time. However, I no longer see anyone as a must get.

As on court product goes I agree, for the most part. Putting the shear basketball piece aside, de facto college free agency has changed what most players mean to programs. But I still feel like there are some kids that for different reasons just matter more. Not solely for their talent, but also for what they say about the program and the public perception that they feed. You can't miss on those kids. My all-time example is Greg Oden. Davis couldn't miss on him. Just couldn't. Didn't matter what it took. He missed on him and he went from embattled coach to dead man walking. If he signs him he's not gone in '06. Archie wasn't everyone's guy, but he got a massive boost from signing Langford, which he of course squandered. Not saying Haralson is a comp to those guys, though if he'd stayed at Fishers and won a State he might be close, but he's a big-time local kid with a spectacular offer list that they've put years into. Missing on him just looks bad. That, and I think he's fantastic. I think he's good enough to be a top 2 option on a final 4 team.

Long way of saying: Woody, make this happen, please.

7 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

I hope we close this weekend. Only other school I’m remotely worried about is MSU. 

I think he commits before the Mullins/Sisley visit. Sisley is who I think ends up at MSU. 

11 hours ago, Demo said:

As on court product goes I agree, for the most part. Putting the shear basketball piece aside, de facto college free agency has changed what most players mean to programs. But I still feel like there are some kids that for different reasons just matter more. Not solely for their talent, but also for what they say about the program and the public perception that they feed. You can't miss on those kids. My all-time example is Greg Oden. Davis couldn't miss on him. Just couldn't. Didn't matter what it took. He missed on him and he went from embattled coach to dead man walking. If he signs him he's not gone in '06. Archie wasn't everyone's guy, but he got a massive boost from signing Langford, which he of course squandered. Not saying Haralson is a comp to those guys, though if he'd stayed at Fishers and won a State he might be close, but he's a big-time local kid with a spectacular offer list that they've put years into. Missing on him just looks bad. That, and I think he's fantastic. I think he's good enough to be a top 2 option on a final 4 team.

Long way of saying: Woody, make this happen, please.

I agree that losing Oden was an absolute killer for Davis.
It would still sting a bit these days but “back in the day” Davis was screwed because he didn’t have a decent alternative but these days the gap could be closed quite a bit (but not all the way due to Odens talent) by shopping at the “big man store”.
The portal has significantly lessened  the necessity of landing any specific  HS kid.

29 minutes ago, BA47591 said:

For my fellow old timers.

It finally occurred to me who Haralson reminded me of. Jimmy Jackson 

Solid comp 

Pulling out all the stops.  Another one of those, “if we don’t land him, we did all we could”. 

I think we will want/need a 3/4 player sized freshman class and 3 or so transfers. We miss our primary targets that money gets earmarked to the portal and so long as we have a a solid season, there isn’t too much too worry about in recruiting until the NIL dries up. 

Haralson, Mullins, Reibe sounds great.  And Sisley if he wants in.