Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: 9/18 vs. Cincinnati - Noon - ESPN

1 hour ago, LIHoosier said:

Doesn't IU (and many other colleges) still use charity and non-profit organizations to run concessions/merch/other sales? The groups then get a cut of the revenue to support their cause. Its tough to ask them to serve 50,000+ people. IIRC in 2019, there were several scathing pics of the out-and-out catastrophe Memorial Stadium was in the Bucket game from bad concessions to bird crap everywhere in the stadium which precedes COVID and the strain the 'just-in-time' methodology has placed on the workforce.

I went to the iubb game last year at Florida State and can confirm this was the case.  The stand I kept using for beers was a little league so really only two people behind the counter could give them to me.

Our Outback Bowl game last year used a private concession stand company that kept the lines moving quickly.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, jmsgws said:

Yes, I do not think I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it happen.  Talk about flipping a switch...

You could feel the energy leave the stadium. It was a surreal feeling. The fans never truly got back into it fully after that. #firsthandknowledge

11 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

There was an Overrated chant early on and an F U Cincy chant in the later stages from the student section that I caught. 

My cousin (who has kids at the games) sent me a vid of chants the week before similar to what made the news (FU Biden). Was curious if it was going to be a regular thing lol, and how the school would respond. Read it happened again at Auburn and a few other places. 

8 hours ago, Southside said:

My cousin (who has kids at the games) sent me a vid of chants the week before similar to what made the news (FU Biden). Was curious if it was going to be a regular thing lol, and how the school would respond. Read it happened again at Auburn and a few other places. 

Perhaps it was Biden and not Cincy.  Maybe I misheard it.  *shrug* 

8 hours ago, Southside said:

Seems like a regular thing. Happened at Tennessee and Auburn last weekend and now IU. I can only assume that becomes routine as it gets shared on social media.

9 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Perhaps it was Biden and not Cincy.  Maybe I misheard it.  *shrug* 

Talked to my cousin. His kids confirmed it happened again lol. 

8 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

Seems like a regular thing. Happened at Tennessee and Auburn last weekend and now IU. I can only assume that becomes routine as it gets shared on social media.

Haven't tracked it much on SM or MSM, just hearing from several IU game go-ers, and also a lot of SEC folks (I live in the Dirty South now.) I did see a few tweets that folks forwarded to me.

I guess there's an anti-woke climate growing in the MW and S lol.

13 minutes ago, Southside said:

Talked to my cousin. His kids confirmed it happened again lol. 

Haven't tracked it much on SM or MSM, just hearing from several IU game go-ers, and also a lot of SEC folks (I live in the Dirty South now.) I did see a few tweets that folks forwarded to me.

I guess there's an anti-woke climate growing in the MW and S lol.

Or just a climate of people chanting stupid ****.

Cause in an effort to be balanced, I’ll go on record that if you’re chanting “F Biden,” “F Trump,” or F any politician at a fun football game?

You are embarrassingly stupid.

12 hours ago, Southside said:

Personally... for the record

• I detest both sides, and think our options the last two cycles have been out-of-this-world horrible
  • Academia/college for a long time has been far tilted one way
  • The rise in woke was destined to have anti-woke reaction. Pretty predictable.
  • If society is OK with the never ending political speech on one side (which the other side thinks is embarrassingly stupid), it's not shocking the other side will speak up and the counter also thinks it's embarrassingly stupid.
  • And lastly, free speech cuts both ways, and can be equally stupid.

Yessiree...stupidity absolutely knows no party affiliation!

I’m sure the chants at football games will accomplish absolutely nothing.  Just because a group is loud doesn’t mean a damn thing.

Our system is completely broken we will either fix it or we won’t no chants at sporting events are accomplishing anything towards that 

38 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m sure the chants at football games will accomplish absolutely nothing.  Just because a group is loud doesn’t mean a damn thing.

Our system is completely broken we will either fix it or we won’t no chants at sporting events are accomplishing anything towards that 

Besides the fact that normally that age group is, in general, apolitical it speaks to the reach of the frustration of people, including young people with politics.  Will it result in anything?  Maybe not directly, but the more that people pay attention to our politics the better. We need as many checks as we can get because we surely don’t have the balance.  

Hey gang, so far so good, but we're dipping our toe into politics so we need to tread lightly.  And FWIW, we know the only chant PUke students know and it hasn't done a thing for their general standing or IQ level after all these years.