Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

26 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think a lot of "wait and see"  approach going on.  Most people I talk to are optimistic about Woodson and excited to see some different basketball.  And,  I think most are use to the failure and figure "wait and see".  

I occasionally pop in but I’m nowhere near as engaged/interested in IU basketball as I have been most of my life. The last few years have done a real number on me. Still a bit devastated by being so close to getting Brad Stevens and having that fall through the way it did. Woody needs to win enough games to comfortably be in the tournament this season, or things will quickly get difficult for him. Winning truly will cure all things.

Well, a new era begins tomorrow night. 

I saw that Nebraska was retaining Scott Frost, albeit with a restructured contract -- and staff, and couldn't help but think of the frightening parallels between us and Nebraska football. 

Both were national powers. Both had iconic coaches considered to be among the best -- if not THE best -- in the biz.

Both have seen some lean times since those coaches left -- although truth be told, we had not been great in RMK's last few years.

Had coaches shuffle in, then shuffle out, mostly with very limited success -- if that. Had the fan base clamor for an alum to come in and rescue the program. At long last, got that coach.

So far, it's been pretty disastrous for Nebraska. Nobody considers them a national power anymore. Scott Frost was supposed to come in and change that. He was supposed to save the day. I really hope Woody isn't our Scott Frost. I really, really, really don't want that to happen. I've been alive for three of our NCAA titles and was at IU for the last one. I want to stop sucking. 

I can't help but wonder how much Trev Alberts thought: "Where the hell would we go after Scott Frost? We've tried just about everything else." I'm not saying Woody is the last gasp for IU hoops, but sometimes it sure feels that way. Because if he doesn't work out -- and I know nobody wants to consider that -- what's next? 

Brad Stevens ain't walking through that door. We learned that a few months back -- the hard way. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Well, a new era begins tomorrow night. 

I saw that Nebraska was retaining Scott Frost, albeit with a restructured contract -- and staff, and couldn't help but think of the frightening parallels between us and Nebraska football. 

Both were national powers. Both had iconic coaches considered to be among the best -- if not THE best -- in the biz.

Both have seen some lean times since those coaches left -- although truth be told, we had not been great in RMK's last few years.

Had coaches shuffle in, then shuffle out, mostly with very limited success -- if that. Had the fan base clamor for an alum to come in and rescue the program. At long last, got that coach.

So far, it's been pretty disastrous for Nebraska. Nobody considers them a national power anymore. Scott Frost was supposed to come in and change that. He was supposed to save the day. I really hope Woody isn't our Scott Frost. I really, really, really don't want that to happen. I've been alive for three of our NCAA titles and was at IU for the last one. I want to stop sucking. 

I can't help but wonder how much Trev Alberts thought: "Where the hell would we go after Scott Frost? We've tried just about everything else." I'm not saying Woody is the last gasp for IU hoops, but sometimes it sure feels that way. Because if he doesn't work out -- and I know nobody wants to consider that -- what's next? 

Brad Stevens ain't walking through that door. We learned that a few months back -- the hard way. 

Mike Woodson will succeed or fail, but Scott Frost has nothing to do with it.

Juwan Howard going back to Michigan also has nothing to do with it.

Woody, Dolson, Dane, Yas, Kenya, Thad, Armand, Cliff, and BWalsh have everything to do with it.

12 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Well, a new era begins tomorrow night

Nebraska is a poor comparison, imo. The recruiting base alone is different. Even when Nebraska was winning big they had to supplement their recruiting by throwing in murderers and rapists from around the country because they sit in a football recruiting wasteland. IU basketball, got all its faults the last twenty years, has been able to recruit championship level players and of course sits in the great basketball state of Indiana.  If you want to do the football thing I’d look to ND, Georgia  or Texas…inept administrations but forever one coach away from National relevance.  

I respect Brad Stevens as a coach but personally don’t give a **** about anyone that doesn’t want to be in Bloomington. I’m not really worried about who’s next right now because we have a capable coach.  Maybe he fails. But he’s the most competent guy we’ve hired since Knight. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Nebraska is a poor comparison, imo. The recruiting base alone is different. Even when Nebraska was winning big they had to supplement their recruiting by throwing in murderers and rapists from around the country because they sit in a football recruiting wasteland. IU basketball, got all its faults the last twenty years, has been able to recruit championship level players and of course sits in the great basketball state of Indiana.  If you want to do the football thing I’d look to ND, Georgia  or Texas…inept administrations but forever one coach away from National relevance.  

I respect Brad Stevens as a coach but personally don’t give a **** about anyone that doesn’t want to be in Bloomington. I’m not really worried about who’s next right now because we have a capable coach.  Maybe he fails. But he’s the most competent guy we’ve hired since Knight. 

The ND, Georgia and Texas football programs are poor comparisons, imo. They didn't have that one iconic coach that they've been trying in vain for years to replace. That's why Nebraska is an interesting comparison, particularly when you look at after years of middling success, they finally got the alumni hero they wanted as coach -- and so far, it hasn't been what anybody expected. 

I'm hoping Woody is different. Will he be? I have no idea. He seems to be pushing the right buttons, though. He got Matta on board and seems to have built a pretty good staff. Plus, there's no doubt he knows his sh-t. 

9 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

The ND, Georgia and Texas football programs are poor comparisons, imo. They didn't have that one iconic coach that they've been trying in vain for years to replace. That's why Nebraska is an interesting comparison, particularly when you look at after years of middling success, they finally got the alumni hero they wanted as coach -- and so far, it hasn't been what anybody expected. 

I'm hoping Woody is different. Will he be? I have no idea. He seems to be pushing the right buttons, though. He got Matta on board and seems to have built a pretty good staff. Plus, there's no doubt he knows his sh-t. 

I’ve always really liked the Nebraska comparison as a program. Between the fanbase passion (both are unrivaled in their respective sport, imo), history, etc. I think it’s pretty spot on with the only exception being the in-state recruiting base. 

I don’t think Frost and Woody are comparable, though, and not just because I think Frost is a gigantic doucher. Frost was an up and coming “star” that benefitted greatly from ridiculously talented rosters at his coordinator stop in Oregon and his head coaching stop at UCF. Turns out, he might actually not know what he’s doing because, while he’s bringing in guys, they keep leaving as fast as they get on campus and his teams are beyond undisciplined. On the other hand, Woody is an extremely respected old head in the NBA that has been successful turning bad teams around and has decades of experience. While both are beloved alums, (and Frost is really pushing it in that regard) I think they’re very different types of alums and not very comparable outside of coming home. 

37 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I’ve always really liked the Nebraska comparison as a program. Between the fanbase passion (both are unrivaled in their respective sport, imo), history, etc. I think it’s pretty spot on with the only exception being the in-state recruiting base. 

I don’t think Frost and Woody are comparable, though, and not just because I think Frost is a gigantic doucher. Frost was an up and coming “star” that benefitted greatly from ridiculously talented rosters at his coordinator stop in Oregon and his head coaching stop at UCF. Turns out, he might actually not know what he’s doing because, while he’s bringing in guys, they keep leaving as fast as they get on campus and his teams are beyond undisciplined. On the other hand, Woody is an extremely respected old head in the NBA that has been successful turning bad teams around and has decades of experience. While both are beloved alums, (and Frost is really pushing it in that regard) I think they’re very different types of alums and not very comparable outside of coming home. 

Also a lot harder to turn around a football program than a basketball program, especially with the transfer portal. Frost needs an offense, a defense, and special teams. Woody only has to play 5 guys at a time. He lands a couple studs and the team turns around real quick. Woody’s job is easier, and he has a lot more experience. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Also a lot harder to turn around a football program than a basketball program, especially with the transfer portal. Frost needs an offense, a defense, and special teams. Woody only has to play 5 guys at a time. He lands a couple studs and the team turns around real quick. Woody’s job is easier, and he has a lot more experience. 

Great point. If three of the four from Parker , X, Miller, and Big Mike succeed, Woody very likely has a great first year.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Absolutely correct. Much easier to re-tool a BB roster than a FB roster. Also easier to create a talented and cohesive staff. Putting the Assistants aside, and they’re 1st rate, Matta and Hill are great, great resources as well. There’s really no reason not be optimistic right now. 

I was less than......enthusiastic about Woodson's hiring. At the time it seemed very much like Dolson was caving to the "Hire an IU guy" chorus. 

In the months since Woodson has done a lot of things right. He clearly wants to restore IUBB to greatness and seems to have the skills and qualities to do that. It's much too early to say I was wrong, but I desperately hope he is wildly successful and exceeds all expectations this season and beyond. GO IU! 

8 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not a Branch McCracken fan then?

8 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It isn’t any harder to turn around a football program than any other sport. 

nothing college takes longer than 4 yrs. in fact 90% of all successful football coaches hit their career winning percentage by yr 3. Used to have a spread sheet somewhere that proved this.

“Your record inn year 3 will be written on your ephitaph.”

I was thinking about this today.....of the guys that played last year, have any not shown improvement from last year?

IMO:

TJD looks better -- has added an outside shot.

Race looks better -- handling the ball much better and looks better defensively.

Leal looks better -- more in the flow offensively and still needs work on defense but has been okay.

Lander looks better on both ends.

Galloway still is providing the energy he always did -- haven't seen much due to his injury.

Phinissee unfortunately is the one guy who has looked about the same.

I'd say that is a pretty good amount of improvement.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:57 AM, str8baller said:

IU is in worse shape then.  IU has the recruiting base and has still been underperforming.