Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

As long as IUBB is winning lots of games, you’ll get over it.

If we end up with one of the bottom five guys on your list, the chances of IUBB winning a lot of games is pretty small. I'd love to be wrong, but all five of those guys are less impressive hires than Archie Miller was. 

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

Ugh....now I'm getting discouraged. I'm off to start a new thread about how IU has sunk so low we can only hope to hire Derek Elston......

You really don’t think guys like Moser, Devries, and Wes Miller are excellent excellent coaches?

Okay then.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You really don’t think guys like Moser, Devries, and Wes Miller are excellent excellent coaches?

Okay then.

I'll bite. At least for me it's not about those coaches being excellent or not, it's a sign that none of the top targets out there could be enticed by IU in 2021. Maybe it's seeing it through crimson colored glasses, but if we're down that far on that list, it's a sign of how must luster has been taken away from IU basketball. This has been mostly fan conjecture though as beyond Stevens, I'm not sure many of us know where Dolson is looking at this point.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If we end up with one of the bottom five guys on your list, the chances of IUBB winning a lot of games is pretty small. I'd love to be wrong, but all five of those guys are less impressive hires than Archie Miller was. 

What did you think about the hires of Juwan Howard (never a head coach) Pikell (Stony Brook), Fran (Sienna), Underwood with (I think) one year away from Stephen F Austin? 

What about Izzo (never a head coach) and Painter (Southern Illinois), and Holtmann with a couple years at Butler. THOSE are the best coaches in the BIG.

Let’s see all you “name recognition” guys refute that those are without exception the cream of the crop, and quite literally NONE OF THEM had a resume that would have satisfied  many of the posters that are confused by my list.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Okay then.

I'm sure they are, but I want IU to hire the best guy they can- already proven- not try to divine who might be a star in the making. 

No reason for that, IU is beyond OJT stage IMO. They need a steady hand to right the ship and restore the shine. That is why I would not completely object to Beilein or Matta. 

To me you go all out on our dream coaches then go down a tier:
Tier 1: Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, Tony Bennett, Mark Few, Bill Self
Tier 2: Chris Beard, Nate Oates, Scott Drew, Eric Musselman, Mike White, Andy Enfield, Mick Cronin, Mike Boynton, Porter Moser, Chris Mack 
Tier 3: Thad Matta, John Beilein, Rick Pitino, Steve Alford, Steve Lavin, Mark Pope, Dane Fife, Calbert Cheaney, Scott Skikes, Mike Woodson
If you're throwing Lavin in the mix, go ahead and make a call over to French Lick too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What did you think about the hires of Juwan Howard, Pikell, Franimal from Sienna, Underwood with (I think) one year away from Stephen F Austin? 

Cause along with Izzo who was never a head coach, and Painter from Southern Illinois, THOSE are the best coaches in the BIG.

Fran McCaffery isn't someone I'd want at IU. He's never made it past the round of 32 in 25 years as a D1 head coach. Pikell isn't someone I'd want either. He's made the tournament twice in 16 years as a head coach. My opinion of Underwood is different this evening than it was this morning. We'll see how he does next year without his NBA guys. I didn't think Juwan Howard was a good hire, but I was wrong on that one.

We're a fan base that is absolutely starving for success. We haven't beaten Purdue or played in the NCAA tournament since 2016. Five of those seven names you listed are either underwhelming P5 coaches (Enfield) or mid-major guys. If we can't get anyone better than them then the program is in a very bad place. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Fran McCaffery isn't someone I'd want at IU. He's never made it past the round of 32 in 25 years as a D1 head coach. Pikell isn't someone I'd want either. He's made the tournament twice in 16 years as a head coach. My opinion of Underwood is different this evening than it was this morning. We'll see how he does next year without his NBA guys. I didn't think Juwan Howard was a good hire, but I was wrong on that one.

We're a fan base that is absolutely starving for success. We haven't beaten Purdue or played in the NCAA tournament since 2016. Five of those seven names you listed are either underwhelming P5 coaches (Enfield) or mid-major guys. If we can't get anyone better than them then the program is in a very bad place. 

So based on their resumes you wouldn’t have wanted ANY of the seven best coaches in (arguably) the best conference in the country.

You know who had the best resume before his B1G job? It’s not even close. Fred last place Hoiberg. That’s who.

Admit it: NONE of the pre-B1G resumes of Izzo, Painter, Howard , McCaffery, Underwood, Pikell and Holtmann would have been good enough for you. None of them.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

So based on their resumes you wouldn’t have wanted ANY of the seven best coaches in (arguably) the best conference in the country.

You know who has the best resume before his B1G job? It’s not even close. Fred last place Hoiberg. That’s who.

The tournament so far has cast a lot of doubt on the Big 10 being the best conference in the country. If we're talking about their resumes before they were hired by their current schools, I would have taken Holtmann. I had no interest in Hoiberg. I might have taken Howard too because he was a successful NBA player and well-regarded assistant coach who is still relevant in pop culture due to being part of the Fab 5.

I've been clear on who and what I want as our next coach. I've got a list of 8 coaches I want IU to go after. Some are more reasonable than others, but I think it's a pretty reasonable list overall. If IU can't land any of them and has to go after #9 or beyond, then IU isn't even close to the job that I thought that it was. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You know who has the best resume before his B1G job? It’s not even close. Fred last place Hoiberg. That’s who.

True, but in fairness to last place Fred he took over a mess at a school with 0 B-ball mojo. 

And wouldn't you generally take the best candidate? 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The tournament so far has cast a lot of doubt on the Big 10 being the best conference in the country. If we're talking about their resumes before they were hired by their current schools, I would have taken Holtmann. I had no interest in Hoiberg. I might have taken Howard too because he was a successful NBA player and well-regarded assistant coach who is still relevant in pop culture due to being part of the Fab 5.

I've been clear on who and what I want as our next coach. I've got a list of 8 coaches I want IU to go after. Some are more reasonable than others, but I think it's a pretty reasonable list overall. If IU can't land any of them and has to go after #9 or beyond, then IU isn't even close to the job that I thought that it was. 

You already said you didn’t think Howard was a good hire. But you can’t say the truth, which is you’d have rejected the resumes of the top seven in the conference, so now you’ve flipped on him—two posts after you “didn’t think Howard was a good hire” you state “I might’ve taken Howard”. You’re calling Holtmann a good hire too because ya feel like you’ve gotta pick one or two of those seven.

Holtmann has ten years as a head coach and has at least nine losses every year, and has one appearance past the round of 32. And you think HIS resume was good enough for you but Porter Moser’s isn’t?!? Riiiiiight.

2 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

True, but in fairness to last place Fred he took over a mess at a school with 0 B-ball mojo. 

And wouldn't you generally take the best candidate? 

Tim Miles did way better at Nebraska than Hoiberg has. Ain’t even close.

Guess who Tim Miles’s assistant was? Same guy who is the top assistant at a pretty damn good UCLA team this year. And the same guy who was Stevens’s assistant at Butler.

But THAT guy’s resume isn’t good enough either.

Find a great coach for IU for the next twenty years who is not a dirtbag. That’s my one and only hope.

I knew that list would get trashed a little. But it shouldn’t.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You already said you didn’t think Howard was a good hire. But you can’t say the truth, which is you’d have rejected the resumes of the top seven in the conference, so now you’ve flipped on him and think Holtmann was a good hire because ya gotta pick one or two of those seven.

Holtmann has ten years as a head coach and has at least nine losses every year, and has one appearance past the round of 32. And you think HIS resume was good enough?!? Riiiiiight.

Yeah, I would’ve rejected their resumes. I’m looking for a resume with proven P5 coaching success. If the resume doesn’t have that then I’m throwing it in the trash. Doesn’t mean one of them couldn’t work out, but that’s not what I want in this hire. I can’t get excited at all. about a mid major guy or Enfield.  

Scott Drew, Nate Oats, Eric Musselman, Chris Beard, Thad Matta, John Beilein. Throw Chris Mack in there too, although he’s pushing it. Heck, Steve Alford has a better resume than the bottom five of the list you posted. Pick one of those guys and there’s a good chance we’re right back here in 4-5 years in the next coaching candidate thread talking about who we want. We may think differently on who the right person is, but we all want IU to win. We’ll see how things shake out. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

What did you think about the hires of Juwan Howard (never a head coach) Pikell (Stony Brook), Fran (Sienna), Underwood with (I think) one year away from Stephen F Austin? 

What about Izzo (never a head coach) and Painter (Southern Illinois), and Holtmann with a couple years at Butler. THOSE are the best coaches in the BIG.

Let’s see all you “name recognition” guys refute that those are without exception the cream of the crop, and quite literally NONE OF THEM had a resume that would have satisfied  many of the posters that are confused by my list.

I wouldn't have then and other than Izzo I still wouldn't.  Pikell is probably the best of the bunch.  Howard may end up proving me wrong, but we'll see if he can sustain this success.

6 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Scott Drew or Eric Musselman currently at the top of my list.

I'm afraid neither of those guys are realistic options. Who is next on your list? 

18 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Okay then.

Not for IU, we screw this critical hire up then you risk losing the fanbase altogether!!

1.  Proven Power 5 success with deep Tourney runs (a must)

2.  Preferably Under the age of 60

3.  Charismatic leader that won't shrink under the pressure at IU

4.  Someone who can inspire the masses