Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

5 minutes ago, Billingsley said:

seeing your location as Columbus are you originally from that area. I live 15 minutes from Columbus

Nice! I actually live in Elizabethtown, but hate to claim Jennings County lol!  I've lived here pretty much all of my almost 50 years!  Went to East, still go to almost every football game

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Time to go listen to the actual interview.  I am not getting **** done again today....

I need to get back to work, but if you're gonna listen and report back, I'm curious whether there are qualifiers in what he says:

• "I'm not planning on leaving the Celtics" or
  • "As long as the Celtics want me to be their coach I am not leaving the Celtics"

The first statement is far more promising than the second.

1 minute ago, mamasa said:

Nice! I actually live in Elizabethtown, but hate to claim Jennings County lol!  I've lived here pretty much all of my almost 50 years!  Went to East, still go to almost every football game

I live in Westport taught and coached  at Jennings for 8 years . 

5 minutes ago, Cinco de Mayo said:

I hope your source is right about Brad. He's my grand slam! I did just see a post where he stated he was staying in Boston. Those type of news reports don't always hold water.

You have definitely been good about relaying info from your contacts. I look forward to them.

I just pass it on never claim it to be gospel. Its amazing when in Sales when people know you are a big IU fan what they are willing to share. Most i can tell is BS but some that might have some bite to it i always pass along to other die hard fans. 

4 hours ago, brandct said:

Actually in his presser he said that a portion of the money was to fund the transition to the next coach. Also if your a business person giving 10 million dollars you want an idea of what the end product is going to be or you don’t give the money.

This! No way boosters commit that much $$$ on another chancer. Dolson needed to give some assurances of who was on the board, probably the order - and what he had heard from back channeling. From that, was able to convey that success was very likely with at least some (top 3 or so) on the list. For that $$, he needed to let them know he was big game hunting this time and was loaded to nail a big prize target.

7 minutes ago, Billingsley said:

I live in Westport taught and coached  at Jennings for 8 years . 

Pizzalicious!  My uncle Darrell Campbell was a principal in Westport back in the 70's.  I'm 18 minutes from Westport currently (live near ECO Lake)

1 minute ago, mamasa said:

Pizzalicious!  My uncle Darrell Campbell was a principal in Westport back in the 70's.  I'm 18 minutes from Westport currently (live near ECO Lake)

We get Pizzalicious about once a week. My wife is from Westport and I took a teaching and basketball coaching position there around 2000. 

Of note: Mrs. Stevens is an attorney.  Using the phrase “not planning to” only truly addresses a mindset of the current moment, and is carefully crafted.  Just like big boy Jeff Goodman stating IU has not contacted Drew or Beard.  Duh.  Many have already addressed the silliness of the tweet by Goodman. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley said:

I just pass it on never claim it to be gospel. Its amazing when in Sales when people know you are a big IU fan what they are willing to share. Most i can tell is BS but some that might have some bite to it i always pass along to other die hard fans. 

As you should..... My thing is, if Brad was approached by an IU rep., given an hefty sales pitch and Brad LIKED what he heard, what holds him back? Do the rigors or recruiting hold him back, comfort of NBA? 

Just now, Cinco de Mayo said:

As you should..... My thing is, if Brad was approached by an IU rep., given an hefty sales pitch and Brad LIKED what he heard, what holds him back? Do the rigors or recruiting hold him back, comfort of NBA? 

Great questions. IF its about money I believe the offer will take care of that concern. I think it comes down to recruiting. 

Although still a “Purdue jockstrap”...

Chris Beard?  Sense he may have already had some of his best years.  He would scare me as a possible miss.  Yes, he has had a nice run in the tourney, but does not seem to have parlayed that into recruiting momentum with sustaining strength.  They are a rather average 17-10 this season.  Tough conference, but still.  Stumbled down the stretch, too. 

Although not popular, I would be disappointed with Beard.  

1 minute ago, Billingsley said:

Great questions. IF its about money I believe the offer will take care of that concern. I think it comes down to recruiting. 

Here's a comparison..... Back in the day coach Knight rarely recruited players, his assistants did most of it. The "BRAND" was enough. That also got him in trouble later in his coaching career. However, if Brad came, I think the rigors of recruiting would come easy for him because many would want to be a part of what he brings, especially when he starts winning at IU and the BRAND is renewed......JMHO.

It's gonna be Dane Fife. 

Sure, it's a risky move, but look at it this way ... 

He committed the absolute dumbest foul in IU basketball history and yet -- it turned out OK in the end. 

(Before anybody wants to tell me Dane isn't the guy, I'm just joking. Sorta. He's not my first choice. Or my second. Or my third. Or my fourth. But I'd take him over a lot of the other folks who've been mentioned). 

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There’s no way he could be weirder than Crean. We would’ve been perfectly fine with Crean if he could’ve just been consistently good. Musselman has won 75% of his games in college and won his conference three years in a row at Nevada.

I think the real down side to Musselman is that success at IU could possibly have him looking at a jump back to the NBA. That's a pretty minor concern though and I'd still much rather have him them Drew. 

It is nice to have much better options this time around and apparently donors willing to provide the funds to make a serious run at the top candidate(s).