Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dusty May

Micah Schrewsberry 

the name proven winner has come up a lot but that varies in who we’re talking about.

Sign me up for Proven Winner. I am concerned that his agent, Back Up The Brinks Truck, may be an obstacle to getting him, but I will leave that to Millionaire Booster to figure out.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dusty May

Micah Schrewsberry 

the name proven winner has come up a lot but that varies in who we’re talking about.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on Shrewsberry. Doesn't have an impressive record but understandable that he took over teams without a great record the prior year. Heard he has great recruiting connections in the state but that's about all I've heard...

3 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Sign me up for Proven Winner. I am concerned that his agent, Back Up The Brinks Truck, may be an obstacle to getting him, but I will leave that to Millionaire Booster to figure out.

When I say proven winner there is no name attached to it. Every one has a different idea what a winner is. 

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Interested to hear people's thoughts on Shrewsberry. Doesn't have an impressive record but understandable that he took over teams without a great record the prior year. Heard he has great recruiting connections in the state but that's about all I've heard...

I think he can recruit very well. His system seems to be fun to watch. He has college & NBA experience. Plus he links us to Brad

Shrewsberry isn't someone I would target first, second, or third, but if we ended up hiring him there is an awful lot to be excited about.

We need someone a little more proven is why I say that. 

This might get some eyerolls, but any thoughts on Shaka Smart? Still just 46 years old, teams play really hard, would bring a lot of missing energy to the program.... hiccup at Texas but has proven he can win in a big conference so far at Marquette....

Top 40ish KenPom Defensive rating nearly every year since taking the UT job.... #7 in Offensive efficiency last year... just a thought

Just now, hper50 said:

This might get some eyerolls, but any thoughts on Shaka Smart? Still just 46 years old, teams play really hard, would bring a lot of missing energy to the program.... hiccup at Texas but has proven he can win in a big conference so far at Marquette....

Top 40ish KenPom Defensive ratings nearly every year since taking the UT job.... #7 in Offensive efficiency last year... just a thought

I'd love to know what exactly happened at Texas, because the guy obviously can coach. I think folks here have said anyone will be hard-pressed to get him out of Milwaukee though.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

I'd love to know what exactly happened at Texas, because the guy obviously can coach. I think folks here have said anyone will be hard-pressed to get him out of Milwaukee though.

Yeah he is from Wisconsin and is at a program that spends a ton on the basketball program.   One of the top spenders in all of college basketball 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Yep, I noticed he was born in Madison, wasn't sure how important that was.

He was fired after being a #3 seed in the Dance at Texas. Upset by #14 Abilene Christian, but still!

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

The thing I like about Shaka -- he was the hot thing after VCU went to the Final Four, yet stuck around for three more seasons before making the jump. And they were pretty good seasons.

In the meantime, he turned down a lot of offers -- I wanna say Illinois went after him one of those years. Guess he just felt Texas was a good fit -- or knowing Texas, they did like the Godfather and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. 

Old Kevin here has summed up the whole coaching conundrum incredibly well. Oh, and the chances that Iowa would do better than McCaffrey, which is the subject of this thread, are pretty poor. 

52 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

One name I’d keep an eye on is Tony Bennett. Word is he’s not happy that the Virginia administration hasn’t taken to NIL like other schools. He might want to make a change. I know his family history with IU. I just know his name has been mentioned by some.

I wanted Bennett a few years ago. Not sure how his style would appeal to higher ranked recruits but that's a hire that would get media attention.

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

Old Kevin here has summed up the whole coaching conundrum incredibly well. Oh, and the chances that Iowa would do better than McCaffrey, which is the subject of this thread, are pretty poor. 

Living down here in ACC country -- Fran's a bit like Brad Brownell (whom I believe played with Calbert at Evansville Harrison).  He's been at Clemson forever. Seems as if he's not good enough to make the jump to a better job and not bad enough to get fired. Just kinda keeps hanging around. 

32 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

When I say proven winner there is no name attached to it. Every one has a different idea what a winner is. 

I think that the statement "Every one has a different idea what a winner is" explains why we are in our current situation. The reason everyone keeps describing our program as "rudderless" is because there is no clear consensus for how we even define success. How in the hell can we ever be successful when we can't agree what success looks like, much less have a clear strategy for how to obtain it?

I think the major problem for Woody right now is the 25 class. I’ve heard that 3 different families have complained about Woodson not coming to one of their kids games like other head coaches. Two of these kids should be slam dunks for IU. Maybe Woody knows he doesn’t want to do it anymore after this season. 
He should be busting his himp 24/7 to get these guys. That's what you do when you take over a program. No wonder we cannot barely land anyone in the fall.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk