Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, Treesh said:

I don’t think we’ll find out tomorrow or Saturday. 

Archie hire leaked on a Saturday morning though. 

I hope we don’t find out until next weekend. Elite 8 is done Tuesday so maybe we would start hearing so more rumors about tourney coaches after that.

One lets their assistants use private jets for recruiting without the head coach and the other doesn’t.   The top programs in the game are jealous of some of the stuff Marquette coaches get to do 

That is a very specific perk. I said IU would be able to pay more, not sure how assistants on private jets changes that

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe I’m naive but there is no way Marquette is a better job. They lost Buzz Williams to the basketball powerhouse that is Virginia Tech. Tom Crean left them for us. Once we get the right coach we instantly jump back to being a top 5 job again. It’s easy to pile on because we’ve been bad for 20 years.

Lol why? Are you the one paying the buyout?

I think it's a huge hindrance to getting him. At that point you are talking $22M total in buyouts plus assuming at least $5M for new contract. That's a huge amount to get a coach. Not saying it can't happen or won't but to me I think he is very unlikely for those reasons. He'd be awesome though I think.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey guys...perception is part of reality. Learn to live with it. If Dolson finds the right guy and we win, the perception changes.

The national media believes that Indiana is a more interesting, and yes, better college football program right now than Nebraska. I AGREE. Nebraska football fans would think that is laughable. It goes both ways.

100% see your point and Loyola Chicago may be more “interesting “ right now as the flavor of the month.

But no team in the Missouri Valley is a better gig than Indiana in the Big Ten. They have a very long way to show me they can even sniff what Gonzaga is doing.

Just caught Around the Horn bit on Porter Moser to Indiana.  
3 out of 4 panelists (the other didn't say either way) said he shouldn't leave for IU if offered and Loyola was a better job. 
Plaschke also said IU is no longer a blue blood and no one wants to go there anymore. lol
The barrage from national media continues

Yet they are talking about the IU job on their show. Did they ask about Oklahoma or Marquette?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

That is a very specific perk. I said IU would be able to pay more, not sure how assistants on private jets changes that

If Marquette is willing to throw money for their assistants when Duke and Kentucky don’t then I’m saying they will have no problem throwing money at a guy they want.  Marquette can match dollar for dollar with any program not just IU 

Just now, PB1230 said:

Is IU still one of the top programs in the country - no. Is IU still one of the best jobs in the country - yes, because the perception of the program will turn on a dime if you start winning because everything else is already built in and establish

But guys who are proven have no real incentive to leave their current situations to come here. If that's not in your face obvious at this point, then Im not sure you'll ever be convinced. They dont need Indiana's "built in" advantages bc they can beat Indiana at Baylor, Bama, Texas Tech, Gonzaga, etc. without having to deal with the built in disadvantages that come with coaching here. This job is not one of the best jobs in the nation. It's a place where coaches get fired. 

9 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Maybe I’m naive but there is no way Marquette is a better job. They lost Buzz Williams to the basketball powerhouse that is Virginia Tech. Tom Crean left them for us. Once we get the right coach we instantly jump back to being a top 5 job again. It’s easy to pile on because we’ve been bad for 20 years.

There's a national perception that IU has fired guys too quickly: Archie only got 4 years, Crean was 1 year removed from a B1G title and Sweet 16, and most schools probably wouldn't have fired Sampson either for minor recruiting violations (look how almost everyone from the FBI stuff survived). You've got to be really confident in your abilities to want the Indiana job when you can make just as much money with a lot less pressure somewhere else.

Edited by IU Hambone
Misspelling

I feel like we sometimes lose sight of what this job comes with. There is no question that it is a top job in the country. But when you factor in the pressure and how crazy the fanbase/alumni/boosters are it can scare people.

I legitimately think there are a lot of really good coaches out there that would be trainwrecks once you factor in that side of things. This is a great job but it’s also an incredibly hard job.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Is IU still one of the top programs in the country - no. Is IU still one of the best jobs in the country - yes, because the perception of the program will turn on a dime if you start winning because everything else is already built in and establish

Yes. I remember Forbes ranked IU as one of the top 10 most valuable NCAA B-ball programs (#4 I think? Too lazy to find it)

As you mentioned a couple of solid -not even great- years and IU comes roaring back. Everything is in place for it to explode. Someone cared enough to pay $10million to get rid of a sub-par coach. I'd guess only a dozen or so schools have that option. 

25 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Just caught Around the Horn bit on Porter Moser to Indiana.  

3 out of 4 panelists (the other didn't say either way) said he shouldn't leave for IU if offered and Loyola was a better job. 

Plaschke also said IU is no longer a blue blood and no one wants to go there anymore. lol

The barrage from national media continues

First those shows say outlandish things because crazy attracts viewers. No rational basketball fan believes that Loyola is a better job than Indiana. Let's say IU is no longer a blue blood like UK, UNC or Kansas. In this era there are probably 30 programs with a legitimate chance to win a title in any given year. IU is without a doubt one of the best 30 programs in the country. Just from being the flagship school in a basketball hotbed makes this an attractive job. Perhaps not attractive enough to get another head coach in a good situation to come here, but's that the case for most basketball programs. 

1 minute ago, Me So Hornsby said:

I feel like we sometimes lose sight of what this job comes with. There is no question that it is a top job in the country. But when you factor in the pressure and how crazy the fanbase/alumni/boosters are it can scare people.

I legitimately think there are a lot of really good coaches out there that would be trainwrecks once you factor in that side of things. This is a great job but it’s also an incredibly hard job.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Whoever eventually gets us back to winning consistently will be revered like no other coach in the country. I hope someone is confident in their abilities and sees the opportunity. 

If Marquette is willing to throw money for their assistants when Duke and Kentucky don’t then I’m saying they will have no problem throwing money at a guy they want.  Marquette can match dollar for dollar with any program not just IU 

Maybe maybe not. Just going off starting salaries of last two coaches

IU > 3 million
Marquette : 1.6 million

Plus IU just had 1 donor pay a 10 million dollar buyout.

10 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Stuff like the private jet is more about offsetting lack of regional recruiting prospects - in the last 5 years, Marquette has only had commits from one player in state and 2 from a neighboring state. Plus its financially feasible because they likely aren't in the market for big money coaches