Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

17 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Well Malik cannot play the 5, so that means we will need to get a rim-protecting 5, so therefore yes. We will HAVE to play 2 big men next year

He absolutely can play the 5 and would be better off by it, especially on offense. Reneau needs room to work and that's done through proper spacing. Playing two bigs clogs the lane and allows for easier double teams. Reneau cannot dribble or pass out of a double team effectively. Reneau is not a 4 no matter what anyone thinks, Woodson and staff included.  

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

He absolutely can play the 5 and would be better off by it, especially on offense. Reneau needs space to work and that's done by proper spacing. Playing two bigs clogs the lane and allows for easier double teams. Reneau cannot dribble or pass out of a double team effectively. Reneau is not a 4 not matter what anyone thinks, Woodson and staff included.  

We all know and agree that, but that’s not going to happen so no point in acting like it will

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

He absolutely can play the 5 and would be better off by it, especially on offense. Reneau needs room to work and that's done through proper spacing. Playing two bigs clogs the lane and allows for easier double teams. Reneau cannot dribble or pass out of a double team effectively. Reneau is not a 4 no matter what anyone thinks, Woodson and staff included.  

I'm hoping they target a backup shot blocker. That should be a good sign that they will play MR at the 5, and they could still play two bigs when the situation calls for it. 

The more I look into it, the more I think it could work. He will never be a shot blocker, but he does have a plus wingspan. His block rate is low and his foul rate is high in part because he is stuck out of position at the 4. And there are a ton of teams in the tourney that use a skilled/passing big man who is not much of a shot blocker. 

Put 10 lbs on MM and MR, they will be serious mismatches at the 3 and 4. 

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

I'm hoping they target a backup shot blocker. That should be a good sign that they will play MR at the 5, and they could still play two bigs when the situation calls for it. 

The more I look into it, the more I think it could work. He will never be a shot blocker, but he does have a plus wingspan. His block rate is low and his foul rate is high in part because he is stuck out of position at the 4. And there are a ton of teams in the tourney that use a skilled/passing big man who is not much of a shot blocker. 

Put 10 lbs on MM and MR, they will be serious mismatches at the 3 and 4. 

Yep said this exact thing yesterday. Plan on Reneau playing 20-25 mpg at the 5, more if fouls permit, and target a defensive big who you can trust playing 15 mpg comfortably. Don't care what offensive skill set he posses so long as he can set screens, crash the glass, and rim run. 

Just now, Trish said:

I really don't think it's a great look to have your schools name linked to as many portal kids that Indiana has been doing. 

We've been linked to a pittance compared to many other schools and for the most part, our links have been to highly rated portal players.

It's really no different than typical high school recruiting.  You have to cast a wide net unless your Duke, pUKe maybe Kansas and 1 or 2 others.  And as @Hoosierfanyuh said we need bodies.  We snooze we lose and lord knows what next year's roster could look like.

17 minutes ago, Trish said:

I really don't think it's a great look to have your schools name linked to as many portal kids that Indiana has been doing. 

I don't think it matters. What do you think of Arkansas? They contact everyone that enters. They're having a bad year but have been pretty good the past few. 

It's a numbers game so too many is better than too few. Especially with the number of players IU needs to bring in.

54 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

If you put Malik at the 5...he will get 2 fouls by the under 16 timeout on the defensive end and if you thought our rebounding was bad last year, then get read for it to get way worse with him at the 5. Offensive end, i will give you that, but cant play offense with two fouls in 4 minutes and sitting on the bench 

6 minutes ago, cleeter said:

If you put Malik at the 5...he will get 2 fouls by the under 16 timeout on the defensive end and if you thought our rebounding was bad last year, then get read for it to get way worse with him at the 5. Offensive end, i will give you that, but cant play offense with two fouls in 4 minutes and sitting on the bench 

He's more suited guarding on the interior than he is chasing smaller and quicker players out on the perimeter and his lack of rebounding almost directly correlates with being out of position. 

We were rumored to be getting him last year. I watchd him play a few times and was not that impressed honestly though. I think he only averaged 5 a game

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting name from Joe Tipton:  Rutgers center Clifford Omoruyi plans to enter the transfer portal, he tells @On3sports . The 6-11 senior averaged 10.4 points, 8.3 rebounds, and 2.9 blocks per game this season.

Didn’t he enter the portal last year and come back?

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting name from Joe Tipton:  Rutgers center Clifford Omoruyi plans to enter the transfer portal, he tells @On3sports . The 6-11 senior averaged 10.4 points, 8.3 rebounds, and 2.9 blocks per game this season.

He ‘s going to St John’s.

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Sign him up.  There's our new rim protector. 

11 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Sign him up.  There's our new rim protector. 

The Rutgers fans I know have very split feelings on Cliff... some happy to see him go, others will miss him. IMO pretty big loss for their program... Between Mag, Cliff, and Simpson transferring, doesn't seem like those two 5 star freshmen will have much of a supporting cast. Will be interesting to see how they do next year, what Pike does with them. 

Personally, I'd prefer we pass on Cliff and don't see it as a natural fit. Maaayyyybe if he splits time with MR at the 5. We could definitely do a lot worse, though.

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

The Rutgers fans I know have very split feelings on Cliff... some happy to see him go, others will miss him. IMO pretty big loss for their program... Between Mag, Cliff, and Simpson transferring, doesn't seem like those two 5 star freshmen will have much of a supporting cast. Will be interesting to see how they do next year, what Pike does with them. 

Personally, I'd prefer we pass on Cliff and don't see it as a natural fit. Maaayyyybe if he splits time with MR at the 5. We could definitely do a lot worse, though.

Cliff is the perfect fit for a true 4 out 1 in. Let him screen, crash the glass, and rim run in transition. But agreed he is not a player you can play 30 mpg with Reneau. Just doesn't work.

Eastern Kentucky guard Leland Walker is a name that was just brought up in a "hint hint" kind of way by Eric Pankowski as a name he has heard a lot today. Walker went to North Central but was considered too small to be a high-major prospect, despite being highly-productive. Walker has grown to 6'1". He's still not big by high-major guard standards but he is built well and remains quite productive. Plays very hard, averaged 15.1 with a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio. Not an exceptional shooter but serviceable and improving. He has two years remaining. I'd put him below Gillespie from Belmont (who would be terrific) but Walker would be a solid depth guard. Scored 20 against Alabama, 25 against Western Kentucky, 12 against Purdue, 26 against Jalen Blackmon and Stetson.