Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Connor went to school in my hometown where I graduated at Central Noble. If I’m remembering correctly, I knew him and his family being Michigan fans. Handfuls of older family pics of he, his brother, and parents in Wolverine gear……Oh, and if I’m remembering correctly again, Michigan just announced a new coach the other day…

who knows if he’ll actually end up there, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had the chance. 

1 minute ago, IUrocker said:

Connor went to school in my hometown where I graduated at Central Noble. If I’m remembering correctly, I knew him and his family being Michigan fans. Handfuls of older family pics of he, his brother, and parents in Wolverine gear……Oh, and if I’m remembering correctly again, Michigan just announced a new coach the other day…

who knows if he’ll actually end up there, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had the chance. 

100% agree.
Him and Dusty seems like a match to me.

Ryan Petraitis, 6'7" forward, Air Force.  15.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 3.7 apg.  Shot 49/35/66.  2 years eligibility left.

Voncameron Davis, 6'5" wing, Kent State.  13.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg.  49/33/75.

Deuce Turner, 6'2" guard, San Diego.  15.5 ppg, 2.4 reb, 1.9 apg.  41/37/86.

3 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Family are big Michigan fans but IU is Conor’s dream school.

3 minutes ago, ISP said:

Family are big Michigan fans but IU is Conor’s dream school.

Well that’s cool, yeah didn’t know that part of it. I guess I just figured since they were Michigan fans that he’d wanna end up there. 

40 minutes ago, schoosier said:

He would be our best shooter why not? I’m sure we could get him for cheap

Given his numbers this year he would need to be in the cheap side 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’m not sure that Essegian is a good fit for IU, but I am sure that his skill set has little in common with Anthony Leal.

Assuming that MM comes back, IU is currently at:

Guards:  Galloway, Leal, Newton, Cupps

Wings:  Mgbako

PF/posts:  Reneau

I don't see the Leal/Essegian similarities at all.  Essegian averaged about 12 ppg as a freshman.  Leal is really just out there to provide something steady and nothing else.  I think for maximum roster flexibility you need 6 guards on the roster, especially with Newton's health being a potential issue -- and if you want a three good look at times, you need some guards.  Essegian IMO has a spot if we also bring in a legit point guard and another good shooting wing.  But shooters always have a spot on a team.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Injury

Defense lacked 

Blackwell took his minutes

Big one that I think gets ignored was Gard's handling of him.  Gard was brutal to him in the press, early in the season saying that 'we don't have time for his struggles' and that Wisconsin was 'looking to achieve higher things this year'.  Think Gard tremendously overestimated the talent on his team.

Rumors are out there that A.J. Storr is looking to transfer again...if so, think that says a lot about Gard.

Big one that I think gets ignored was Gard's handling of him.  Gard was brutal to him in the press, early in the season saying that 'we don't have time for his struggles' and that Wisconsin was 'looking to achieve higher things this year'.  Think Gard tremendously overestimated the talent on his team.

Rumors are out there that A.J. Storr is looking to transfer again...if so, think that says a lot about Gard.

I dislike Gard as much as anyone but Essegian is a defensive liability. Look at the guards on these teams tonight. We need more of that. We can/should set our sights higher than Essegian for our needs. If Gard knew he needed better and I think he was right, we need better too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I dislike Gard as much as anyone but Essegian is a defensive liability. Look at the guards on these teams tonight. We need more of that. We can/should set our sights higher than Essegian for our needs. If Gard knew he needed better and I think he was right, we need better too.

My problem was with Gard ‘s treatment of Essegian with the media.  Coach’s do have a responsibility to make their players better.  Guard’s comments to the media about Essegian basically laid the blame all at Essegian’s feet at a time when he was trying to work his way back from injury.

Should also be worth noting that Wisconsin’s defensive efficiency this year was the worst it’s been since 2018 so it’s not like the guards he had this year were killing it on the defensive end.  Essegians’s freshman year they were top 20 defensively;  this year they were 44th.

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We have at least seven spots to fill. Connor Essegian has shown a P5 very useable skill that we don't have and therefore he is a strong choice for one of those slots IMO.

He is clearly not the bulldog point guard that we need the most, but he is a wing that can shoot who plays with a chip on his shoulder and was B1G all-freshman team.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

We have at least seven spots to fill. Connor Essegian has shown a P% very useable skill that we don't have and therefore he is a strong choice for one of those slots IMO.

He is clearly not the bulldog point guard that we need the most, but he is a wing that can shoot who plays with a chip on his shoulder and was B1G all-freshman team.

Yeah, could be a decent option I think.  But he'd be a bench piece and I'm not convinced that is what he is looking for.  I think our staff thinks it will get Thornton once they are out of the NIT as our preferred starting PG.   I feel like it might be another week before we really know where we are targeting.  

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, could be a decent option I think.  But he'd be a bench piece and I'm not convinced that is what he is looking for.  I think our staff thinks it will get Thornton once they are out of the NIT as our preferred starting PG.   I feel like it might be another week before we really know where we are targeting.  

Thornton would be a great get, but I am assuming that one of the biggest benefits with OSU promoting Diebler is player continuity. It was probably far more likely he would be available if Holtman had stayed. 

I also think (and this includes both with Essegian and Thornton) that there is familiarity bias. We have seen guys like Essegian and Thornton a lot as B1G players. I am quite certain that there are many players who are less obvious to the IU fanbase that are also great gets. I like Essegian because I think the home-town element will be attractive to him, and given his sophomore year production he will come at a substantial discount, saving money for marquee NIL players at PG and C.