Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

The Next Six Games

2 - 6 in the final 8 games. If they lose to Iowa and Penn St. their win total may remain at 15 for the season. 17 - 14 would get them a NIT bid that I dont think would be very deserving. The one constant that has been the same for Millers 3 years in every game is Justin Smith. I wish they would just put him on the bench for a few games with no minutes. He looks like he has no idea how to PLAY the game and I cant say for sure if it is all him or if Miller puts him in a lot of bad positions(Green would have to stay on the bench also). Crean really worked Indiana over on that recruit. Problem with that is though is they dont even have a backup at that position which also goes back to Miller. Hunter is really it and I see him as more of a SG. It would be worth a try because I think he has played 25 - 30 minutes every game since his freshman year

Archie is screwing Smith hard. He’s really a guy you should be used as a roll guy for lobs and backdoors/backcuts. But Archie just has him standing around. This offense puts literally everyone in a bad spot. Don’t be surprised to see multiple guys transfer at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Archie is screwing Smith hard. He’s really a guy you should be used as a roll guy for lobs and backdoors/backcuts. But Archie just has him standing around. This offense puts literally everyone in a bad spot. Don’t be surprised to see multiple guys transfer at the end of the year.

I have Smith and Anderson down? Who else?

I have Smith and Anderson down? Who else?
In my hot take back in whatever summer month I said Archie would be fired and Durham would go home to GA to play with the guy that recruited him. So I'd definitely say Durham

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

In my hot take back in whatever summer month I said Archie would be fired and Durham would go home to GA to play with the guy that recruited him. So I'd definitely say Durham

He would have to take summer classes but should be able to graduate before the fall. 

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked by any or all departures. It seems clear that none of them are having fun playing the game they love. That is really sad and as much as everyone wants to beat up on the players, (I'm also guilty) I truly believe they want to succeed and know that winning is way more fun. Problem is that I don't think they know what it takes to win and at this point probably don't trust the coach to put a plan in place to help them understand what it takes.

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked by any or all departures. It seems clear that none of them are having fun playing the game they love. That is really sad and as much as everyone wants to beat up on the players, (I'm also guilty) I truly believe they want to succeed and know that winning is way more fun. Problem is that I don't think they know what it takes to win and at this point probably don't trust the coach to put a plan in place to help them understand what it takes.

All the talk about a cancer on the team has made me wonder...maybe the cancer is actually Archie Miller. 

All the talk about a cancer on the team has made me wonder...maybe the cancer is actually Archie Miller. 
I mean for the kids that have been here 3 years do you think they believe in him any longer? I find it hard to fathom. Once a team doesn't believe in you or respect your acumen you have officially lost them. This has also happened to the majority of the fan base now at this point. He may not lose his job after this season but he'll lose everything else that matters in regards to his job.

With scholarships already open, and 2-3 more defections I would hope that the staff would be able to bring in some very solid transfers, either via juco, grad, etc. 

Archie even mentioned it on his last radio show, when asked about the 2 scholarships open. But if we truly are as handcuffed as some have discussed regarding treating athletic transfers the same as non athletic transfers, then I don't have much hope it will improve next year. The 3 freshman we have coming in are 4 year guys that should contribute soph/junior year, but not immediate impact players. That paired with our current roster doesn't give me any indication that we will be leaps and bounds better next year. 

If we go 2-4 over the next 6, that puts us at 7-11 in the Big Ten.  I think most people would say 9-11 in the Big Ten gets you in.

my fear is that at 7-11 the committee would see us as not in and winning the last two games — Wisky and Minnesota in Bloomington — might not be viewed as games that “push” you in.

we likely need 4 more regular season wins to get in.  I would say the odds are not in our favor. Starts with Iowa on Thursday.  Might have to win out at home because the road games are tough.

9 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

So what people are saying is we'll be worse next year?

I have us 1-5 over the next 6.

I think this year is the bottom out year for Archie. I’d expect the guys who aren’t buying in to leave and the current freshmen and sophs to be the guys leading the way. The team is also looking at JUCO players and id assume grad transfers. 

I think this year is the bottom out year for Archie. I’d expect the guys who aren’t buying in to leave and the current freshmen and sophs to be the guys leading the way. The team is also looking at JUCO players and id assume grad transfers. 

If that’s the case, and you are probably right, he wasted 2 years. Should have done it all earlier, but he didn’t have the foresight.

I kind of feel sorry for him, at least as much as anyone can for someone making 3+ Million a year.

He really seems lost. I think he thought, simply implementing his system would lead to wins.

I don’t think he has a clue why we aren’t winning. I think, he thinks we are close. But we are miles away from playing good basketball. I don’t even know if Archie teams play good basketball. It’s more a a win ugly type scenario he excels at.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

If true, then the next question is - who has more influence on those sophs and freshmen? If that is Archie then we may be on the upswing but if they have been heavily influenced by those who aren’t buying in then they may just take their place. Remember who voted Green captain.

Very possible the younger players have the same doubts we are having about Archie.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If that’s the case, and you are probably right, he wasted 2 years. Should have done it all earlier, but he didn’t have the foresight.

I kind of feel sorry for him, at least as much as anyone can for someone making 3+ Million a year.

He really seems lost. I think he thought, simply implementing his system would lead to wins.

I don’t think he has a clue why we aren’t winning. I think, he thinks we are close. But we are miles away from playing good basketball. I don’t even know if Archie teams play good basketball. It’s more a a win ugly type scenario he excels at.

Yeah, even if you aren’t really trusting of efficiency margin this is one way it can be useful. The eye test says IU looks bad, and the efficiency numbers look at least as bad.

If the eye test was unclear, but the underlying numbers were good (like Purdue, PSU, or MSU this year), it’d be easier to suspend judgment. 

14 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I support Archie. I know he isn’t going anywhere soon with that big buyout. So I’d rather look at ways the team can improve and see Archie put it all together. Saying that, the reason I didn’t have Archie in my top 3 candidates when he was hired was his teams would win some very low scoring games. The offense always scared me. But I’m seeing guys miss open shots, so it’s a conundrum. 

i looked back at recent games and Hunter, Phinisee, and Franklin are shooting very well from deep since Nebraska. Time to let the young kids play and tell the upperclassmen to shape up or ship out. 

13 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Are fans/ students going to continue showing up to the games? Not that fan support helps this team win as evidence from the PU game.... could be a ghost town and IU could potentially lose out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IU fans have never not shown up. I don’t expect that to change anytime soon.