Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2021) PG Khristian Lander to Western Kentucky U.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Poor kid.  Dammit Archie!

It’s very possible, even likely, the rating services just goofed this one a little bit. He was a year younger but he was consistently 3rd fiddle to Leal and Galloway in AAU. Both Leal and Galloway were always ranked around 100 somewhere.  I guess a leap was expected of some sort. I’m not sure.  

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s very possible, even likely, the rating services just goofed this one a little bit. He was a year younger but he was consistently 3rd fiddle to Leal and Galloway in AAU. Both Leal and Galloway were always ranked around 100 somewhere.  I guess a leap was expected of some sort. I’m not sure.  

I stubbed my toe this morning.  I blamed Archie.

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I feel really bad for him. He should never have been a reclassify, and those who supported that did him a great disservice. He was not physically ready for college and should have never left high school when he did. I hope he finds himself again and enjoys playing basketball with success.

50 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Possible? Lol…you’re being very magnanimous. The kid has the tools to play D1, but isn’t some outstanding athlete. On top of that he really struggles with the physicality and certain mental parts. 

He should’ve never sniffed a 5star rating. Seems like a nice kid though, and I hope things work out for him. 

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Lander's first game for Western Kentucky. 3-7 fg, 1-5 3pt in 15 minutes. He was the fourth guy off the bench.

The young man appears to be slated to be the second backup guard for WKU. 

Field of 68 guys had him coming off the bench with their projections in the almanac. I wasn't surprised... I feel awful for the kid. I do think he's much better than what we've seen. 

Archie Miller was just buying some time.  So called 5 star recruit that was a really good HIGH SCHOOL level player that was greatly done a disservice by not settling down and enjoying his senior year in high school.  Even then watching Lander he was more of a mid level college player.  All things physically was never there on a big time major college level.

12 hours ago, TTT said:

Archie Miller was just buying some time.  So called 5 star recruit that was a really good HIGH SCHOOL level player that was greatly done a disservice by not settling down and enjoying his senior year in high school.  Even then watching Lander he was more of a mid level college player.  All things physically was never there on a big time major college level.

I don't know that I would categorize him as a "really good high school player" . I guess, "really good" would certainly be the ceiling to it. He was never in the elite category, that was advertised. 

12 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Field of 68 guys had him coming off the bench with their projections in the almanac. I wasn't surprised... I feel awful for the kid. I do think he's much better than what we've seen. 

He really isn't, though. He never has shown to be better than what he's playing right now. He didn't dominate in HS, pretty much, at any point. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't know that I would categorize him as a "really good high school player" . I guess, "really good" would certainly be the ceiling to it. He was never in the elite category, that was advertised. 

Just shows that the number of stars behind a name doesn't necessarily mean squat.  Who's doing the rating?  Who's doing the hyping?

1 hour ago, rayl456 said:

Just shows that the number of stars behind a name doesn't necessarily mean squat.  Who's doing the rating?  Who's doing the hyping?

The guys giving out stars are picking from 100’s of thousands of senior high school basketball players in the US but every time the ratings miss on a guy the “ratings don’t mean squat” posts come out.

Literally no one thinks the rating services are infallible (how could they be as they don’t know if a kid will work hard, has peaked, missed some kids they didn’t see etc etc)  but the odds (not guarantee) of higher rated players panning out are indeed higher.  I just hope our two highest rated freshmen this year (JHS and Malik) somehow work out.

46 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

The guys giving out stars are picking from 100’s of thousands of senior high school basketball players in the US but every time the ratings miss on a guy the “ratings don’t mean squat” posts come out.

Literally no one thinks the rating services are infallible (how could they be as they don’t know if a kid will work hard, has peaked, missed some kids they didn’t see etc etc)  but the odds (not guarantee) of higher rated players panning out are indeed higher.  I just hope our two highest rated freshmen this year (JHS and Malik) somehow work out.

I think it takes minimal knowledge of basketball to do these rankings. I believe it's a group of nerds, who copy off each other, and they created this massive industry from complete nothingness, and we cling to their opinions. 

What are the credentials of some of these guys? The "recruiting experts"... 

I have a family member that's become "an analyst" and sorts through these kids, puts on showcases, whatever. He has not played one down of football in his life, nor coached. Color me confused. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think it takes minimal knowledge of basketball to do these rankings. I believe it's a group of nerds, who copy off each other, and they created this massive industry from complete nothingness, and we cling to their opinions. 

I have a family member that's become "an analyst" and sorts through these kids, puts on showcases, whatever. He has not played one down of football in his life, nor coached. Color me confused. 

Recruiting services jobs have been made easy for the most part. The best players find their way to AAU programs or certain schools. Those programs play each other or in same circuits.  

Diamonds in the rough generally happen when a kid for whatever reason (injury, size, geography, work ethic) doesn’t get to one of those programs and hides under the radar or develops late.  

Overrated talent happens but not as much.  There are reasons for that.  Lander is an odd one. I’m not sure what trait catapulted him up the rankings exactly. But some like Hanner are overrated due to silly athleticism, some based on size. Some are missed due to work ethic. 

However, it’s very clear the system mostly works to generally find the best talent. When they are all on the court together it’s usually fairly obvious. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Recruiting services jobs have been made easy for the most part. The best players find their way to AAU programs or certain schools. Those programs play each other or in same circuits.  

Diamonds in the rough generally happen when a kid for whatever reason (injury, size, geography, work ethic) doesn’t get to one of those programs and hides under the radar or develops late.  

Overrated talent happens but not as much.  There are reasons for that.  Lander is an odd one. I’m not sure what trait catapulted him up the rankings exactly. But some like Hanner are overrated due to silly athleticism, some based on size. Some are missed due to work ethic. 

However, it’s very clear the system mostly works to generally find the best talent. When they are all on the court together it’s usually fairly obvious. 

The bold..  no doubt. 

The service itself, not needed, to come to the conclusion that JHS is good at basketball. 

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

“Group of nerds”. Are you 12 or 13….LOL