Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

goonaha

(2018) PF Brandon Johns to Michigan

We have enough talent on hand to allow Archie to show his coaching abilities at the highest level. He has everything he needs to show recruits that we are a blueblood again.
If he has success this year, I'm okay with good to great classes. CAM has a huge opportunity to take us to the next level.
Exciting stuff!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not worried one bit about the on court results for next year. We will be fine. We're going to get a recruit here soon, then watch out the flood gates are going to open. 

The dynamic is there: The 2018 five star recruits are holding back, but the 2018 four star recruits are starting to plant their flags.

I would like us to win for sure and I think we will. But it would be an obvious and clear overreaction to assume we HAVE to have a specific class to mean much of anything for 2019. For starters the type of kids I feel we get in 2019 will come in day 1 and start. They won't be here long and that's ok. Another comparison is his brother Sean. In Arizona Sean went 16-15 in his first season. He has done ok recruiting. I don't think Archie does as bad on the floor or recruiting as Sean did initially. But Sean also went to the Elite 8 in his 2nd year. Struggled in 3rd, but they have been pulling five stars since. An overreaction to this year's recruiting will happen, but we will be fine. Relationships have improved immensely in just a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I feel it will be 2019 or 2020 before we feel real good about recruiting. Archie has an uphill climb thanks to Crean.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not ok with waiting 2-3 yrs for recruiting or on-court success nor do I blame Crean. If Miller is the right guy then he will get it done. I don't expect miracles, but he has the players to win games and tools to get recruits. Crean certainly has a lot of short-comings and that got him fired. Now it's Archie's baby and all credit/blame is his. So again, if he can't get it done, then he isn't the right guy for the job, imo.  

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I'm not ok with waiting 2-3 yrs for recruiting or on-court success nor do I blame Crean. If Miller is the right guy then he will get it done. I don't expect miracles, but he has the players to win games and tools to get recruits. Crean certainly has a lot of short-comings and that got him fired. Now it's Archie's baby and all credit/blame is his. So again, if he can't get it done, then he isn't the right guy for the job, imo.  

I just don't think we'll have to wait all that long. At Dayton, Archie led teams to the NCAAs for the past four straight years without one single four star recruit (that's top 150) on the roster. Not one.  

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I just don't think we'll have to wait all that long. At Dayton, Archie led teams to the NCAAs for the past four straight years without one single four star recruit (that's top 150) on the roster. Not one.  

That's such an indictment of Crean's shortcomings.  

I feel like Crean gets a lot of unwarranted hate for recruiting on here.  He put together some great rosters, and his successes outweighed the misses.  Look at our 2015-2016 roster, and we had 4 NBA guys on the Court, even after the 5* McD All-American (Blackmon) went down.  And that was boosted by more 4* talent like Robert Johnson (247 Comp. #47) and Juwan Morgan (#109).  We easily had the talent to look at UNC, MSU, KU, UK, etc, and not be intimidated by the quality of recruits.

And yet, it meant very little in the end.  That last year's roster crumbled, while the Flyers played consistently solid basketball, is the simple explanation for how we arrived here.  Stuhoo is wise to remind everyone that this year will be the most talented bunch that CAM has ever coached.  He has recruited at a high level before when he was with OSU and Arizona.  We are hearing from a lot of highly ranked guys who have had good interactions.  Let's be patient and see where this goes.  

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This also shows how far back he was on having relationships with 4 and 5 star players. It probably won't take a long time, but 3 or 4 weeks isn't very long at all.

To be fair he was not coaching against the quality of players or coaches night in night out that the BT has. Yes he won against some good coaches in the NCAA's but not night in night out.

I am not worried about him being better than Crean here but success at a BT school is harder to achieve than at Dayton.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not worried one bit about the on court results for next year. We will be fine. We're going to get a recruit here soon, then watch out the flood gates are going to open. 

Getting a recruit soon based on what you're hearing or just a gut feeling?

You've proven to be a guy with accurate info in the past so I want to know whether I should get excited or not :)

Just now, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Getting a recruit soon based on what you're hearing or just a gut feeling?

You've proven to be a guy with accurate info in the past so I want to know whether I should get excited or not :)

I'm sorry it's just a gut feeling. Just seems like we should get one to fall our way soon doesn't it. Once one comes I think we will get a couple of more. We still have a lot of kids out there that we like and one of them are going to pick us. 

From TheHoosier.com

One of Indiana's targets in the 2018 cycle - East Lansing (Mich.) High four-star forward Brandon Johns - committed elsewhere on Thursday, when he pledged his services to Michigan.

TheHoosier.com looks at what it means for IU going forward.

Background

Accomplishments: Averaged 20.6 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.2 blocks for East Lansing, leading them to a 24-1 overall record. He was named Class A Player of the Year in Michigan by the Associated Press.

Recruitment: Picked up an Indiana over this June after visiting campus. He also visited Purdue and Michigan before announcing for the Wolverines.

Our Take

Johns certainly would have been a nice pickup for IU, but there's still plenty of supply available in this class at this stage of the cycle, including Plymouth (Minn.) Armstrong three-star forward Race Thompson and Pickerington (Ohio) North four-star forward Jerome Hunter, among others. The 6-8, 200-pound Thompson is ranked as the No. 116 player nationally, while the 6-7, 185-pound Hunter is ranked as the No. 79 player nationally.

Thompson has already visited campus this summer with his parents, while Hunter's high school team participated in Archie Miller's team camp this June. Hunter picked up an offer after the camp, and released a list of final five schools, including IU, Michigan, Ohio State, Pittsburgh and Xavier.

Both of those targets would be quality pickups, and IU is in the mix for them. That's without adding IU's recruiting board still could expand as the coaches get on the road in July - with a brand new staff - and continue evaluating prospects.

A wise college coach once said "It's not about who tells you no - it's about who tells you yes." That rings especially true at this stage of the cycle, where there is plenty of quality prospects still on the board.

IU will be fine, but Johns may be at pain at Michigan. One thing Beilein's system requires to compete at a high level is a 4 man who can defend opposing 4s/5s but has wing skills (think GRIII, DJ Wilson — different players who both sort of fit that description). Johns may be a great fit if he can do that.

29 minutes ago, HoosierRobbie said:

It is worrisome that it seems we aren't leading for anyone. Hopefully that changes soon.

We have no idea who anyone's leaders are so this is likely false. I'd be willing to bet we lead for Phinisee and Thompson. Other than that, not sure. For all we know Romeo may have us at the top right now.

8 minutes ago, VO5 said:

We have no idea who anyone's leaders are so this is likely false. I'd be willing to bet we lead for Phinisee and Thompson. Other than that, not sure. For all we know Romeo may have us at the top right now.

Those 3 and Bazley would be a great class. Romeo, Morgan and Deron would have us in the hunt and we'd have some real depth for some studs to potentially come here in 2019

I think you know the sentiment he is expressing. While we may lead for someone and we may get a recruit soon, there is nothing out there publically that suggests one of these top 100s is going to choose IU soon.

Little to no smoke. That doesn't mean there can't be fire but I think we are all a bit excited for the recruiting ball to build momentum

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

I think you know the sentiment he is expressing. While we may lead for someone and we may get a recruit soon, there is nothing out there publically that suggests one of these top 100s is going to choose IU soon.

Little to no smoke. That doesn't mean there can't be fire but I think we are all a bit excited for the recruiting ball to build momentum

Out of all the guys we are recruiting, where does it seem they are leaning? Can you point to a school for each of them and say they are leaders? The reality is, most guys we are recruiting aren't giving off a vibe of who leads at all. There are a lot of top 5s and 10s out there with a bunch of speculation not coming from the actual kids.

Out of all the guys we are recruiting, where does it seem they are leaning? Can you point to a school for each of them and say they are leaders? The reality is, most guys we are recruiting aren't giving off a vibe of who leads at all. There are a lot of top 5s and 10s out there with a bunch of speculation not coming from the actual kids.

There are talented kids we recruited that have committed elsewhere so one could say they are not favoring IU for example.

The point is that there are schools with commitments, in kids top 5 lists with crystal balls trending etc and IU doesn't fit that type of situation for anyone yet.

We might be leading for tons of kids or eventually lead for a ton of kids but none that fit the above descriptions is all