Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

41 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Archie has talked to each player and I'm positive has stressed the importance of everyone's return could be crucial in competing for a national championship.

If everyone returns besides OG/Collin, we're pre season top 10 and contending for a final four appearance right off the bat. 

That's some strong @$$ kool-aid

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• Any of these guys who haven't graduated are strongly pre-disposed against transferring, in large part because they would have to sit out a year at a new school.
  • Archie coming in will only ease fears. His personality is very conducive to this; how many of you heard him speak and immediately reacted with " wow; he's a little bit crazy!" None? Well the players are feeling the same thing.
  • For the players who may have somewhere else to go without sitting a year (NBA or grad transfer) the decision is a real one. This covers CH, JBj, TB, OG, and maybe RoJo. Now we're weighing:
    • 1) Do I have my degree/if so, am I interested in a grad degree?
    • 2) Can I make money playing the game/does my family need that money asap?
    • 3) Is my health potentially impacted by staying in school?
    • 4) Do I foresee staying at IU as a chance to do something special now that Archie is here?

With these factors in mind, my speculation regarding who is most likely to leave is:

1. James Blackmon Jr (80%-ish): reportedly is very close to his degree. Health is a major issue - needs to leave while he is relatively whole physically
  2. Thomas Bryant (50%-ish): I think he will go through the NBA draft process this time. Family can use the money, and I'm not that convinced he is super-interested in a college diploma.
  3. OG (40%-ish): May be a bit low in many eyes, but I know that OG's family will be a big influence, and that family (and OG) is very Oladipo-like interested in academics. OG marches to his own beat. A healthy OG can easily be a lotto pick after next year, making the financial question not as obvious as it seems.
  4. Colin Hartman: (30%-ish): There's starting to be plenty of buzz that he may play again. A perfect fit for Archie's system (much like Juwan will be). His business career will always be there, and a year or more at Kelley will only enhance it. He's been rehabbing for a long time, and he knows he can play again at a high level.
  5. Robert Johnson (15%-ish): And only if he's able to be a grad transfer-and I think he's not. Won't sit a year to play one year somewhere else. Combination of Archie making a good impression , and Tom Crean letting him know that IU is his best option.

Final prediction?

Only JBj goes, TB tests the draft waters and stays, ALL others come back except for Tim Priller or Grant Gelon (or maaaaybe CuJo, who doesn't see playing time in his future), Justin Smith and Al Durham are our 2017 class, and Archie gets the luxury of going all in on 2018 recruiting.

I think this is a pretty good guess. Why does everyone think Priller and Gelon will be gone? I realize Priller is probably close to graduating, but part of me thinks we will have to carry him out kicking and screaming. Is Gelon just because he will see the writing on the wall for lack of PT?

4 minutes ago, Hoosier Roots said:

Colin is also working out in cook on his Instagram snap story

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I hope he comes back, but man. We are going to have a huge freshman class next year if only JBJ or OG leave..

19 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I hope he comes back, but man. We are going to have a huge freshman class next year if only JBJ or OG leave..

We would lose RoJo, TB, OG, Freddie, Collin, and Timmy.

Fill five spots. That's 12 on scholly. 

Pretty standard.

1 minute ago, indianaranger said:

We are picked to be 10 in Big Ten next year not the country.Hope we break top 40 by end of season.

Look for Archie to hang that up for the players to see every time they go to the locker room this offseason. 

1 minute ago, indianaranger said:

We are picked to be 10 in Big Ten next year not the country.Hope we break top 40 by end of season.

By who, pray tell?

We were tenth last year with CTC. Find it hard to believe that anyone with sense will pick us tenth unless in the unlikely event that we have five or so transfers.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Flame on! I may be a total idiot optimist, but based on these guys social media posts, it seems like they're buying in to Archie and ready to make another run as a whole team. After all, these guys are all basketball players through and through and at some point I think they collectively realized that Crean is a moron and their ceiling will always be low with him at the helm. With Miller in place, I think they understand that they can now reach their true potential and really take off (i.e. Rojo's rocket tweet). Just my opinion though.

I have to say, it would be pretty cool to see this team come back mostly intact and see them reach their true potential. Still worry about not having a true PG though.

Just now, bigrod said:

I have to say, it would be pretty cool to see this team come back mostly intact and see them reach their true potential. Still worry about not having a true PG though.

Yep, agreed. I honestly like Green's potential as our PG... he's quicker, more athletic, a better passer, and seems to have better court vision than Newkirk, Rojo, and JBJ. If anyone can turn him into an excellent starting PG, it's our new coach who just happened to be a PG himself.