Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

All I know is I am getting little/no work done and I am having to keep my brick phone on the charger all day.  I have to think all of the rumors lie somewhere in the middle of what the insiders are saying, what little is said by media, and our own sleuthing and daydreaming. 

I do have a question.  Years ago when Crean was hired, what was the process, the rumored names, and what were some of the misfires?  What did we find was smokescreen and what was true?  To me, the Crean hire came out of absolutely nowhere. Did he reach out to us, or did we seek him out?    I seem to recall talk of offering Tony Bennett and him turning us down, I thought maybe there was some Pitino talk?  My 40+ year old brain is failing me. Help me out, whipper snappers.

Bennett turned us down. I believe Sean Miller passed as well.

Names I remember were Lon Kruger and Brad Brownell....I don't remember Crean's name being rumored... It did kind of surprise me as well.

All I know is I am getting little/no work done and I am having to keep my brick phone on the charger all day.  I have to think all of the rumors lie somewhere in the middle of what the insiders are saying, what little is said by media, and our own sleuthing and daydreaming. 

I do have a question.  Years ago when Crean was hired, what was the process, the rumored names, and what were some of the misfires?  What did we find was smokescreen and what was true?  To me, the Crean hire came out of absolutely nowhere. Did he reach out to us, or did we seek him out?    I seem to recall talk of offering Tony Bennett and him turning us down, I thought maybe there was some Pitino talk?  My 40+ year old brain is failing me. Help me out, whipper snappers.

The blue ribbon committee was put together and one of the keys was to find someone who had been to a FF. However, Bennett and Few turned us down, they had no FF experience but were big names.

Connecting dots, Kravitz said Izzo was very interested as was Pitino. The post Sampson era caused more than a few of the trustees to worry about Pitino. Connecting more dots that are further apart (guessing). Crean contacts IU and Izzo to put in a good word. Izzo decides to back out (maybe b/c of Crean, maybe he decided to stay) but he strongly recommends Crean to those ha had been talking to.

Crean had been to a FF and suddey after some no's he looks pretty good. Dakich has said that when Crean came in to interview he had a presentation style approach and that really impressed everyone. Remember Dakich was interim and also interviewed but he says he pretty much just showed up and later heard about how Crean approached it.

So with Izzos recommendation, having been to a FF and excelling in the interview Crean became the best candidate.

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

The blue ribbon committee was put together and one of the keys was to find someone who had been to a FF. However, Bennett and Few turned us down, they had no FF experience but were big names.

Connecting dots, Kravitz said Izzo was very interested as was Pitino. The post Sampson era caused more than a few of the trustees to worry about Pitino. Connecting more dots that are further apart (guessing). Crean contacts IU and Izzo to put in a good word. Izzo decides to back out (maybe b/c of Crean, maybe he decided to stay) but he strongly recommends Crean to those ha had been talking to.

Crean had been to a FF and suddey after some no's he looks pretty good. Dakich has said that when Crean came in to interview he had a presentation style approach and that really impressed everyone. Remember Dakich was interim and also interviewed but he says he pretty much just showed up and later heard about how Crean approached it.

So with Izzos recommendation, having been to a FF and excelling in the interview Crean became the best candidate.

Man, I appreciate the rundown.  How close to have a shot at Izzo, I'd never heard that.   I would wonder if Bennett turned us down in 2008 would he have interest in 2017.  He has an established team and is building something solid there.  Same with S. Miller, if we offered him per the previous responder. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the current admin and the behind the scenes shenanigans.

treesh is the detective at iu-x's clap-clap-clap-clap
you know the janitor knows what the facts is....they wont let glass and crean escape justice, they make their livin off of hoosier taxes...tommy crean, oo you know he slipped away....freddy glass caught up to him the very next day...you know they got the money, hey, you know they got away, they headed down to missouri and are still running today...singing ooo take the money and run....oo oo ooh

"Some people call him the basketball, cowboy. Some call him the gangster of run. Some people call him Clappy. Cause, I speak, to the pompitous of loss.

People talk about you Creany. They say your doing us wrong, doing us wrong. But don't you worry Creany. Freds about to send you home.

Cause he's a not a winner, he's a grinner, and a loser, but not a sinner. He does his tanning in the sun. He's a joker, diet coker, he's a world class choker. He loves his turnovers on the runnnn.
Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh yeah.

I'm here all night.

Cuz your

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

i literally have been singing this for 5 minutes straight now.

"Some people call him the basketball, cowboy. Some call him the gangster of run. Some people call him Clappy. Cause, I speak, to the pompitous of loss.

People talk about you Creany. They say your doing us wrong, doing us wrong. But don't you worry Creany. Freds about to send you home.

Cause he's a not a winner, he's a grinner, and a loser, but not a sinner. He does his tanning in the sun. He's a joker, diet coker, he's a world class choker. He loves his turnovers on the runnnn.
Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh yeah.

I'm here all night.

Cuz your

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Think we could Dakich to sing this during a game?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Didn't that same guy say that Donovan was a no go yesterday?

He said the meeting didn't go well, and inferred thats what it meant.  His source maybe clarified or maybe Donovans camp talked to Donovan and somebody who was operating with incorrect information was corrected.  

I have a buddy that worked the NFL Combine this past weekend. Said he heard from multiple sources that dealt with the university that Crean was gone regardless of what happens the rest of the year.

Take it for what it's worth, but definitely eased my thoughts some!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He said the meeting didn't go well, and inferred thats what it meant.  His source maybe clarified or maybe Donovans camp talked to Donovan and somebody who was operating with incorrect information was corrected.  

Who knows. 708 said as much when he posted. I still think he gets good info but being able to interpret what it means is difficult.

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Who knows. 708 said as much when he posted. I still think he gets good info but being able to interpret what it means is difficult.

I wonder if talks were difficult just because Donovan was playing hard to get.  Or if he wants to finish coaching the NBA season and we didn't want that.  But after a day to think about it we grew a brain and gave him what he wanted.  

I really hope that we announce Crean as gone (or staying ugh) after BTT, because I really want to root for this team if they make a post season tourney without worrying if it's going to save Creans job.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You should have your answer tomorrow night.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk