Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

7 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I'll be happy with Donovan, but I'm not so sure he is my top choice. I really like Archie. I think he is a great young coach who would build us back up to where we should be. My next choice is probably a toss up between Bennett and Donovan. I like Marshall, but I just think he is too old to bring in. I really don't want to hire another coach in ten years (unless Stevens would be ready to come back).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I get the thought process of getting a young guy. 

But you absolutely can not take a flyer on a guy who has potential when you have a 2 x national champion up for consideration. 

Has a coach with multiple titles ever chosen of his own volition to even go to a new school? I don't think so it's unheard of 

55 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Yeah, this was my ephiphany moment as well.

That was it for alot of us, imo. For those of you that couldn't see it then, well I'm sorry. We had damn near a week to prepare for that zone, along with the best team in the country. That loss still makes me sick. Come to think of it, with a slow day at the office today. I may watch that game over again. I haven't yet to watch a replay of it yet, some things I'd like to look for.

5 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

That was it for alot of us, imo. For those of you that couldn't see it then, well I'm sorry. We had damn near a week to prepare for that zone, along with the best team in the country. That loss still makes me sick. Come to think of it, with a slow day at the office today. I may watch that game over again. I haven't yet to watch a replay of it yet, some things I'd like to look for.

in the first 8 minutes of this game...1 FG, 7 turnovers in the first 8 minutes! 11-5 syracuse

A little Friday morning fiction - or is it?

Well, I’ll start off by saying this: do not blame that game on me, OK? I don’t care who you play — whether it’s a high school team, an intra-mural team, a junior college team — much less a college team. When you turn the ball over (insert #) times you ain’t going to beat anybody I just talked about. Anybody. All right? And that was a disgraceful performance in my opinion. We threw that game. We gave it away by doing that. We gave them the friggin’ game. In my opinion, that sucked. Ah. You know? You can’t turn the ball over (insert #) times like that. Holy crap! I don’t know who the hell we think we are when we do something like that. Unbelievable.  (Insert #) turnovers.  That’s pitiful! I mean, it’s absolutely pitiful to perform like that. Pitiful!

At the end of the press conference Tom Crean responded to a question from a reporter asking about the Hoosiers  chances for making it to the Big Dance. Coach Crean replied in a high pitched sounding voice with:

What’s that? Ah — NCAA Tournament? Don’t talk about — NCAA Tournament?  You kidding me? NCAA Tournament? I just hope we can win a game in the BTT!  Another game.

I see what you did there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I foresaw all of this the day Crean was hired.   I was not impressed with his hire.  Last name anyone ever expected.  I looked at his Marquette record and that was all I needed to know.  Needed a future NBA All-Star to finish 1st or 2nd in the mighty Conference USA.  7 out of 9 seasons finished with double digit losses, only 2 were DWade years, imagine that.  See any correlation here??   Outside of age, I still don't see why everyone is so luke warm about Gregg Marshall.  All the guy does is win.  I don't care if it's the MVC.  His teams have finished 1st 11 out of 19 years and 1st or 2nd 16 out of 19 seasons.  By comparison, Mark Turgeon, who preceded him at Wichita State, finished 1st once and 2nd twice out of 7 seasons. It wasn't like he dominated the MVC.  I will stop the love for Marshall, cause clearly I'm in a small percentage.  I'd settle for Donovan DWS.  

I know this article is not quite 3 years old, but tells the story plenty that IU isn't in this writers top 20 programs over the past decade 2005-2014.   And the past 3 seasons would elevate IU any higher.  C'mon Freddie boy, pull the trigger.  

20 minutes ago, seihoosier said:

I foresaw all of this the day Crean was hired.   I was not impressed with his hire.  Last name anyone ever expected.  I looked at his Marquette record and that was all I needed to know.  Needed a future NBA All-Star to finish 1st or 2nd in the mighty Conference USA.  7 out of 9 seasons finished with double digit losses, only 2 were DWade years, imagine that.  See any correlation here??   Outside of age, I still don't see why everyone is so luke warm about Gregg Marshall.  All the guy does is win.  I don't care if it's the MVC.  His teams have finished 1st 11 out of 19 years and 1st or 2nd 16 out of 19 seasons.  By comparison, Mark Turgeon, who preceded him at Wichita State, finished 1st once and 2nd twice out of 7 seasons. It wasn't like he dominated the MVC.  I will stop the love for Marshall, cause clearly I'm in a small percentage.  I'd settle for Donovan DWS.  

I know this article is not quite 3 years old, but tells the story plenty that IU isn't in this writers top 20 programs over the past decade 2005-2014.   And the past 3 seasons would elevate IU any higher.  C'mon Freddie boy, pull the trigger.  

yeah i don't see the love for marshall

25 minutes ago, seihoosier said:

I think a lot of people, me included, see Marshall as a lateral move and not a home run hire. JMO.   If you're going to do this, then try to knock it out of the park.

12 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I think a lot of people, me included, see Marshall as a lateral move and not a home run hire. JMO.   If you're going to do this, then try to knock it out of the park.

I'm certain he's an improvement over Crean, but I'm just not sure how much potential he'd have here.  The floor would be higher, but I'm not sure how high the ceiling would be.

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'm certain he's an improvement over Crean, but I'm just not sure how much potential he'd have here.  The floor would be higher, but I'm not sure how high the ceiling would be.

Actually, I agree.  I should restate my opinion.  Marshall would be an improvement but not sure he'd be the guy to take IU to elite status again.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

I mean the guy has done nothing but win and win consistently with mid-major resources, against mid-major competition.  Here he'd face tougher competition but have some of the best resources in the country.  Crean never won consistently, period.

EDIT:  Crean's floor being "WTF are you doing?  Are you even watching the game?" is part of the reason this thread exists.

My 5 year old nephew apparently wonders why the coach doesn't call a timeout during these 10-0 runs. 

If a 5 year old can see it maybe the problem is Crean isn't watching. Would explain a lot. 

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I mean the guy has done nothing but win and win consistently with mid-major resources, against mid-major competition.  Here he'd face tougher competition but have some of the best resources in the country.  Crean never won consistently, period.

I'll be shocked in Glass even entertains the thought of hiring Marshall.  No inside info here....Just a gut feeling, but I really don't think their personalities would mesh well.

My 5 year old nephew apparently wonders why the coach doesn't call a timeout during these 10-0 runs. 

If a 5 year old can see it maybe the problem is Crean isn't watching. Would explain a lot. 

Yeah, but can he understand the analytics???

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

31 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I think Marshall would be an absolute home run hire.  Maybe not the Grand slam that Stevens or Donovan would be, but Marshall is certainly proven he can win against "like" teams and with far less talent than he would get at a major program.  He is definitely way above Crean.  He is more proven then Archie.  Archie could be better in the long run, or he could be a fluke.  I also think Sean Miller would be a home run hire.  Bennett and Archie would be definite upgrades over Crean but S. Miller and G. Marshall would be home run hires.  And this is just looking at their stats, not even bringing the eye test into it since that can be objective.

Gregg Marshall

Born: February 27, 1963
Alma Mater: Randolph-Macon (1985)

Career Record (major schools): 19 Years, 451-172, .724 W-L% 
Schools: Winthrop (194-83) and Wichita State (257-89)

Conference Champion: 10 Times (Reg. Seas.), 8 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 12 Years (10-12), 1 Final Four, 0 Championships

Tourney Appearance %:  .632

Sean Miller

Born: November 17, 1968
Alma Mater: Pittsburgh (1992)

Career Record (major schools): 13 Years, 334-112, .749 W-L% 
Schools: Xavier (120-47) and Arizona (214-65)

Conference Champion: 6 Times (Reg. Seas.), 2 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 9 Years (17-9), 0 Final Fours, 0 Championships

Tourney Appearance %:  .692

Tony Bennett

Born: June 1, 1969
Alma Mater: Green Bay (1992)

Career Record (major schools): 11 Years, 254-114, .690 W-L% 
Schools: Washington State (69-33) and Virginia (185-81)

Conference Champion: 2 Times (Reg. Seas.), 1 Time (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 6 Years (9-6), 0 Final Fours, 0 Championships

Tourney Appearance %:  .545

Archie Miller

Born: October 30, 1978
Alma Mater: North Carolina St. (2003)

Career Record (major schools): 6 Years, 139-60, .698 W-L% 
School: Dayton (139-60)

Conference Champion: 1 Time (Reg. Seas.), 0 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 3 Years (5-3), 0 Final Fours, 0 Championships

Tourney Appearance %:  .500

Tom Crean

Born: March 25, 1966
Alma Mater: Central Mich. (1989)

Career Record (major schools): 18 Years, 354-229, .607 W-L% 
Schools: Marquette (190-96) and Indiana (164-133)

Conference Champion: 3 Times (Reg. Seas.), 0 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 9 Years (11-9), 1 Final Four, 0 Championships

Tourney Appearance %:  .500