Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Listen, fellas.  I didn't post this because I do or don't want any particular candidate.  I posted it because I don't believe Indiana needs to hire a search firm to find its next basketball coach.  Not when the article I read (and granted, I only read one) touted it's landing of Cuonzo Martin for Missouri as a major accomplishment.   I posted it as an indictment of where our program is or where our AD is.  I find it sad that we need to do a national search for this job.  Jesus, we're 7th in national attendance with a bad team.   We have unlimited resources.  We have a rabid fan base.  We have all 13 scholarships endowed.  I didn't post this because of Donovan, Alford, or anyone else.  

Glass said he would do the work, and I personally don't think a national search is necessary.  If Donovan's Glass' guy, great.  I didn't post this with any thought of him, but I do find the many references to him pretty funny.  I am also not in favor of Alford.  All I said the other day was don't write him off.  I do think walking into this job and understanding where you are is important.    You may not....But all of these posts referencing those two guys are not relevant to my original post.  

Piling on is fine.  Go for it.  I've said my own thing for years, and I stand by what I posted here.  I don't think Indiana needs to hire a search firm.  If Hutch is right and it's just to do background checks, then great.  I didn't read that.  When North Carolina hired its coach, it did not hire a search firm to help.  Kansas did not.  Kentucky did not.  If we're in that class, and I think we are....historically, anyway, why did we?  Why does Glass fire Crean without knowing what direction he's going or have a damned good idea?  Indiana is not Missouri.  

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Not if it's Donovan. That Judas didn't grow up here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Question for you, and just asking because I think this is a relevant topic.  Indiana has, for the past 80 years or so, been a historically and nationally relevant program, very akin to North Carolina, Duke, etc.   North Carolina has hired its own people for years.   (Roy Williams was an assistant for Dean Smith, as was Bill Guthridge.  Matt Daugherty played there)  People who understand that particular culture and know what that program is about.  

Duke hires former Duke players to be its assistants all the time, and I don't think there's been a time in the last 30 years it hasn't had a former Duke player on the bench and leading the recruiting to that program.   Wisconsin hires from within.  Butler built what they've done that way.  Consistent success at all places, and culture is a main reason.  Why is Indiana different?   We've tried hiring people who aren't "IU people," and look where we are.  This isn't about Alford, Fife, Smart, Wittman, or anyone else.  It's just a question.  I think it's important for Indiana University to hire a coach who has some attachment to this area if not this program.  Why do you not believe that?

Old Friend:  I agree with pretty much everything you have said here, except the part about Wisconsin hiring from within.   They have done this somewhat with football, but Gard's hiring is really the only time with BB.  In fact, if Ryan had stayed until the end of the season last year, Gard would probably not be the coach now.  It was very close to the same way we got Mike Davis :)  

Question for you, and just asking because I think this is a relevant topic.  Indiana has, for the past 80 years or so, been a historically and nationally relevant program, very akin to North Carolina, Duke, etc.   North Carolina has hired its own people for years.   (Roy Williams was an assistant for Dean Smith, as was Bill Guthridge.  Matt Daugherty played there)  People who understand that particular culture and know what that program is about.  

Duke hires former Duke players to be its assistants all the time, and I don't think there's been a time in the last 30 years it hasn't had a former Duke player on the bench and leading the recruiting to that program.   Wisconsin hires from within.  Butler built what they've done that way.  Consistent success at all places, and culture is a main reason.  Why is Indiana different?   We've tried hiring people who aren't "IU people," and look where we are.  This isn't about Alford, Fife, Smart, Wittman, or anyone else.  It's just a question.  I think it's important for Indiana University to hire a coach who has some attachment to this area if not this program.  Why do you not believe that?

Because those programs you spoke of only UNC and Wisconsin truly hired from within. When UNC "hired from within" they weren't consistent. Roy Williams went to Kansas to be Roy Williams. Bill Guthridge takes the job before Roy if Roy stays at NC. A top program is not regional in the modern landscape. By top program I consider those that are year in and year out competing for national titles. I agree someone that comes here has to be able to be in on your Langfords, Harris, etc. A team completely comprised of kids from the Midwest isn't realistic honestly any longer. I think that is where we disagree. No big deal honestly. As for realistic coaches here there are none with an IU pedigree that screams top hire. Perception is a lot for recruits. Steve Alford was huge in my younger years. If he hadn't played for IU we would be going nuts wanting to fire Glass that there was a perception he was under consideration. I think we will agree on we need more of an in game tactician. I think that in itself will endear him to an IU fan base that longs for fundamental basketball. On top of that he just has to win constantly. I honestly think where we differ is on the landscape of the modern recruit and what is important to them.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Why does Glass fire Crean without knowing what direction he's going or have a damned good idea?  Indiana is not Missouri.  

IMO, Glass is in over his head and is running scared... analysis paralysis or what ever the vogue term for that is today... he's scared of screwing the pooch... and when (if) that happens, we're all going to be stuck with his coach and he will be looking for work. I could be wrong, but that is totally how I'm reading this situation.

I would like to add search firms like Parker are a relatively new phenomenon. They really have only been around just over 10 years. Part of this I think is schools going away from sports people as AD. Like OF spoke of Williams going back to UNC. Search firms weren't really used then. Honestly I am glad we have our list of coaches going into this. We will see where this all leads to. Hopefully glass does use resources such as local people, as well as national coaches to discuss the opening. He cannot get this wrong.

IMO, Glass is in over his head and is running scared... analysis paralysis or what ever the vogue term for that is today... he's scared of screwing the pooch... and when (if) that happens, we're all going to be stuck with his coach and he will be looking for work. I could be wrong, but that is totally how I'm reading this situation.

What has Glass said or done, that we are sure he has said or done, that makes you think that?
Let's face it. Everything we are hearing or reading is second or third hand.

I would like to add search firms like Parker are a relatively new phenomenon. They really have only been around just over 10 years. Part of this I think is schools going away from sports people as AD. Like OF spoke of Williams going back to UNC. Search firms weren't really used then. Honestly I am glad we have our list of coaches going into this. We will see where this all leads to. Hopefully glass does use resources such as local people, as well as national coaches to discuss the opening. He cannot get this wrong.

Right. Glass is a lawyer. If he were in private practice, he would have his team of lawyers and assistants researching witnesses (expert or otherwise) to find out their credibility, reliability, background history and on and on.

Since he is an AD instead, I can see him using a firm such as Parker to do similar research on candidates he assigns to them.

The Parker firm could be doing work on prospective assistant coaches on behalf of FG and/or our new head coach.  Finding out who may be interested in moving to Bloomington and it has nothing to do with searching for the next head coach per se.  And as others have pointed out, these search firms do a lot more than actually search for candidates.  In many cases it's these types of firms that do the drafting of the contracts and other matters of that nature after the candidate and school have reached a verbal understanding. 

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Why don't you ask Iowa fans about the type of culture Alford brings?

1 hour ago, Tom White said:

What has Glass said or done, that we are sure he has said or done, that makes you think that?
Let's face it. Everything we are hearing or reading is second or third hand.

I've just never trusted him to get it done. Not thrilled with the Tom Allen hire in FB, and just don't expect the BB hire to be much better... I admit that I have very little concrete to go on, beyond the Allen hire... I'd be quite happy if he proves me wrong, but I just get the feeling that he's totally overwhelmed.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think it's been pretty well established that these firms are brought in after the candidates are established. They do things like background checks, drawing up/negotiating the contracts, allowing for anonymity so denials can be made publicly, etc.  

This. 

No need to freak out over the search firm. They're primarily used to cross T's and dot I's. If anything, this tells me IU very close to having our next coach signed up.