Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

Indiana defeats Ottawa 82-54 - Post-Game Thread

You know what just really struck me as the best part of the game?

The second half.

But, not just like, oh we did better the second half. We totally didn't drop the ball and get the second half slump. It's been so long since I've seen an Indiana team have a better second half than first. Really refreshing to see, hope that trend continues.

And someone want to grab Doc Libby's picture from that Yogi crowd dive? I can't pull it from twitter on this computer and think it belongs here.

So this is what I liked

Thomas Bryant: A lot of his issues were maybe he was just a little over hyped, but lots and lots of energy. Needs to get stronger for BIG Ten season.

Yogi: Did not force his shots and seemed to be happy getting the ball to others, but when it was there he took it.

Blackman: Not a Point guard and will not be, he is a shooting guard and reminds me of Eric Gordon.

Robert Johnson: PG of the future and back up now to Yogi, I can live with that

Troy Williams: Energizer Bunny, but man, control troy...control

Personal Notes: I believe our defense will get better, just due to the fact that we now have a inside presence and that will solve a lot of our issues from last year, when we extended our self's and got flat out killed inside.

IMO, the best news coming out of Hoosier land lately is Max is going to be a contributor. Thats good news because I still think TB is going to be way more up and down this season vs what we saw with CZ and NV.

Agreed. It was only one exhibition game, but Max appears to be an upgrade over Hanner

IMO, the best news coming out of Hoosier land lately is Max is going to be a contributor. Thats good news because I still think TB is going to be way more up and down this season vs what we saw with CZ and NV.

He looks like he's going to play the exact role we need. He's a solid back stop, who plays smart, and gets boards. Shockingly, it appears he'll even stretch the floor with his shot. Between Z and Max, Crean looks to have done pretty well with his grad pickups lately.

Last year's bigs: Hanner, Emmitt, Collin, Ryan B.

This year's bigs: Thomas, Max, Collin, Juwan

Good lord that's a huge improvement.

Add that to the standard expected improvement of Yogi, Troy, Rojo and JB2, and Collin no longer fresh off a knee injury.

We were a nine seed (I think) last year, and a seventh place B1G team.

We are substantially better this year, in talent, roster construction, and experience.

Noah never really seemed to be excited. Really just putting in his time till paycheck city hit. Thomas looks like he is about ready to explode! Completely amped up! Very happy we have this young man!

I think that was just more of a personality thing, not as much Noah just wanting to get out of here. Noah never was an outgoing type. I do love Big Tom's enthusiasm though. He has that Vic style personality.

With his enthusiasm and passing ability I think Bryant will be a bigger contributor than NV. 

I just hope Bryant does not hurt himself with getting to excited.....lol :cheese:

Himself and Assembly Hall. If he'd tried Yogi's move he would have crushed the whole section of seats instead of just denting a bar.

Which, btw:

Doc Libby ‏@DocLibby  17h17 hours ago
The bar that Yogi bent when he jumped the bench with both feet! #ugh #iubb 

CS7vTtbUcAASEcJ.jpg

With his enthusiasm and passing ability I think Bryant will be a bigger contributor than NV. 

I loved his pass fakes before handing off to Troy on the give and go that led to Troy with a reverse dunk on the right side of the goal.  Had someone with the defensive ability to deny Troy of that opportunity, both Yogi & JB were in position to shoot the three with no defenders.

Coach gave a lot of coach speak. But he said that we seemed more aggressive on the boards, taller and more physical and that we were tighter on boxing out/closing out on shooters

I like your article and review of the game.  You do a great job of highlighting the coaching perspectives of the game.  Rebounding was mentioned and one of the most pleasant surprises from OG & Juwan to me is 1) how well they put a body or arm into the opponent they are battling for the rebound. 2) their awareness of player movement and where players are when they can't personally get the board.  

Max B showed this on a play I remember in the second half where he could not get the board but quickly took 3/4 steps toward the free throw line to defend a player before the ball was rebounded on the right side about 10 ft out.  During the last couple of years we've had players that waited until the rebound and pass was made to the opening at the free throw line.  This isn't really a surprise to see this from Max B for the following two reasons:  1) He is a Grad transfer with good experience.  2) With a neck that moves a head like he moved his during the player intros at Hoosier Hysteria, he should have good recognition.

I loved his pass fakes before handing off to Troy on the give and go that led to Troy with a reverse dunk on the right side of the goal. Had someone with the defensive ability to deny Troy of that opportunity, both Yogi & JB were in position to shoot the three with no defenders.

I like your article and review of the game. You do a great job of highlighting the coaching perspectives of the game. Rebounding was mentioned and one of the most pleasant surprises from OG & Juwan to me is 1) how well they put a body or arm into the opponent they are battling for the rebound. 2) their awareness of player movement and where players are when they can't personally get the board.

Max B showed this on a play I remember in the second half where he could not get the board but quickly took 3/4 steps toward the free throw line to defend a player before the ball was rebounded on the right side about 10 ft out. During the last couple of years we've had players that waited until the rebound and pass was made to the opening at the free throw line. This isn't really a surprise to see this from Max B for the following two reasons: 1) He is a Grad transfer with good experience. 2) With a neck that moves a head like he moved his during the player intros at Hoosier Hysteria, he should have good recognition.

Appreciate it! I was also pleasantly surprised with the box outs. Yogi drew a foul at one point thanks to sticking his butt on a guy and getting low. Great fundamental basketball which has been a point of emphasis this offseason as I understand it. Also, I thought Max and Juwan and to a lesser extent OG did a great job of getting a hand on the ball. Max and Juwan batted several balls that they couldn't grab out to teammates, really smart plays. OG was in foul trouble but flashed his potential when he poked a ball away, ran the court and finished a slam.

I'm not getting too high or low based off a scrimmage, but I definitely overall liked what I saw. Curious to see how they play against stiffer competition