Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

swatford

Thomas Bryant and Emmitt Holt cited for illegal alcohol posession

While we all have our stories of puking on the feet of IUPD, a % has to do with our culture. Not the basketball one but the public one.

The public awareness of underage drinking is at an all time high. There has been a huge crackdown in recent years and that means fewer free passes. This is obviously not the only reason but certainly a part of the equation.

While we all have our stories of puking on the feet of IUPD, a % has to do with our culture. Not the basketball one but the public one.

The public awareness of underage drinking is at an all time high. There has been a huge crackdown in recent years and that means fewer free passes. This is obviously not the only reason but certainly a part of the equation.

Anyone who wasn't drinking on campus and at tailgates in this last year has no idea how true this statement is. Looks at the arrest and citation numbers as well. Sheesh.

What's so hard about drinking in your own home? I was once butt naked drunk at showalter fountain and didn't get caught. What the hell????

Well you "can't" drink in the dorms ;)

I understand the whole aspect of "they're college kids and want to have fun like everyone else," but if someone told me I could be an IU basketball player if I sacrifice partying and drinking until I'm 21 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Heck, they don't even have to sacrifice partying. If they go out and have fun but leave the alcohol alone they'd be fine. Athletes at every school in the country drink but apparently the players in our basketball program have absolutely no clue how to do it.

I'm not going to "call you anything". I'm just going to disagree. Never said what he did either time was bad, but with the amount of issues we've had recently, and the warnings given by Glass and (I assume) Crean, why continue to do what you do? They aren't even freakin' sneaky about it! I've seen it firsthand!

I understand that, and its frustrating from our point of view but kicking him off the team is wayy too much IMO. I just cant find it in me to even say that he made a major mistake in the first incident he was present for. Like I said before, this is a non story with a coach other than Crean and the prior issues that Hanner and Devin ran into. Emmitt shouldn't be victim of harsher than normal punishment due to the mistakes of others. Its like we get pleasure from catching them being normal kids and bashing them over the head for it. Just my point of view. I'll never buy the notion that our kids should act like any age other than their own, just bc they wear candy striped pants. I'm all for punishment. All for it. But the punishment has to fit the crime. Thats my opinion. Obviously I feel strongly about it.  

So the circumstances of needing then to win matter? What about the circumstances of all the issues over the past few seasons regarding drugs/alcohol?

Each situation needs to be observed seperately. I dont agree with lumping all mistakes inthe same boat. Like I said, spare me the rationale. I'll never buy it. Emmitt having a drink will never hold the same punishment as Hanner being plastered while driving or Devin lighting up a doob in his dorm room.

And I said such nice things about Holt yesterday.

I really like holt and really think he could have impact this year. I am not sure he will or should even be on the team. I do think given the fact he almost killed a guy last year he should be a better role model for a incoming freshman like bryant than this.

I understand the whole aspect of "they're college kids and want to have fun like everyone else," but if someone told me I could be an IU basketball player if I sacrifice partying and drinking until I'm 21 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Heck, they don't even have to sacrifice partying. If they go out and have fun but leave the alcohol alone they'd be fine. Athletes at every school in the country drink but apparently the players in our basketball program have absolutely no clue how to do it.

You're asking a 19 and 20 year old this question. Not 30-50 year IU basketball fan.