Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2016-17 Basketball Schedule

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agree, the money also goes back into some of the local basketball programs. Maybe we'll see more of it as the program stabilizes/begins to progress? I also wouldn't mind seeing a game in or around Colorado in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Love the idea of playing in Colorado...I wonder if we could tie this into a homecoming for our incoming Colorado Mr. Basketball.  UNC offered a similar homecoming to Marcus Paige when the team traveled to UNI during OOC this past fall.   I would love to see the team creatively schedule to provide graduating seniors an event when possible.  Maybe a roadie at Colorado/Colorado St. (Davis), VCU? (Jones), St. Johns (Green), etc.  in four years...fun way to honor seniors and infuse meaningful road games into the schedule.

Love the idea of playing in Colorado...I wonder if we could tie this into a homecoming for our incoming Colorado Mr. Basketball.  UNC offered a similar homecoming to Marcus Paige when the team traveled to UNI during OOC this past fall.   I would love to see the team creatively schedule to provide graduating seniors an event when possible.  Maybe a roadie at Colorado/Colorado St. (Davis), VCU? (Jones), St. Johns (Green), etc.  in four years...fun way to honor seniors and infuse meaningful road games into the schedule.

I'd like to see that for some of the players. I'm not sure we'd need to do that for all as we'll probably have some B1G games in those areas. If it works out in the non-con schedule I'm all for it.

7 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

I may be wrong, cause I usually am... but isn't the acc/big 10 challenge drawn up by how the team's did in the regular season? If that is the case, we would play UNC

For the marquee games, its more on projections for the upcoming season and matchups that can get ratings. In 2015, Duke finished 2nd in the ACC and won the national title while we finished 7th in the B1G and just made the tourney. But both teams were projected to be in the mid teens during the offseason and Duke/IU always brings eyeballs and $$. Once you get to games like Minnesota/Virginia Tech, then they go more by last year's records.

I may be wrong, cause I usually am... but isn't the acc/big 10 challenge drawn up by how the team's did in the regular season? If that is the case, we would play UNC

For the marquee games, its more on projections for the upcoming season and matchups that can get ratings. In 2015, Duke finished 2nd in the ACC and won the national title while we finished 7th in the B1G and just made the tourney. But both teams were projected to be in the mid teens during the offseason and Duke/IU always brings eyeballs and $$. Once you get to games like Minnesota/Virginia Tech, then they go more by last year's records.

I thought it was a combination of conference commissioners, ADs, ESPN, and projected conference finishes. They definitely want marquee matchups for $$$ and hype. The storylines, hype, and $$$ would be there for UNC-IU or Duke-IU.

ESPN's quote about OG is pure gold:

" The return of guard James Blackmon Jr. from injury is among the many reasons to stay bullish on the Hoosiers. Robert Johnson, Collin Hartman, and OG Anunoby, a basketball cyborg incrementally approaching self-awareness, are also on that list."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15123601/duke-blue-devils-kentucky-wildcats-college-basketball-top-25-2016-2017

ESPN's quote about OG is pure gold:

" The return of guard James Blackmon Jr. from injury is among the many reasons to stay bullish on the Hoosiers. Robert JohnsonCollin Hartman, and OG Anunoby, a basketball cyborg incrementally approaching self-awareness, are also on that list."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15123601/duke-blue-devils-kentucky-wildcats-college-basketball-top-25-2016-2017

That's awesome! The top of the B1G looks to be a touch better next season if the NBA doesn't steal too many players.

With "way/ridiculously too early top 25" articles coming up here is an update with rankings.  IU has two guaranteed games against top 25 opponents in Kansas and Louisville, both at neutral sites.  Butler looks like they will be just on the outside of the top 25 to start the season.  Our ACC opponent will most likely be a top 25 team giving us three top 25 opponents.  I can't say enough about this schedule and being tested in the beginning of the season. 

• Armed Forces Classic:  JBPHH (Nov. 11)  Opponent:  Kansas (CBS - 4, ESPN - 4, USA Today - 9, SN - 17)
  • (Possible)  Gavitt Tipoff: (See below)
  • Fort Wayne Memorial Coliseum (Nov. 22)  Opponent:  IPFW (N/R)
  •  B1G-ACC Challenge:  Home game (See below for possible opponents)
  • Crossroads Classic:  Bankers Life Fieldhouse (Dec. 17)  Opponent:  Butler (CBS - 25, ESPN - N/R, USA Today - Others considered (33), SN - N/R)
  • Bankers Life Fieldhouse (Dec 31)  Opponent:  Louisville (CBS - 22, ESPN - 5, USA Today - 16, SN - 5)

Possible opponents in the Gavitt Tipoff games (most likely away)

• @Xavier (CBS - 5, ESPN - 11, USA Today - 6, SN - 8)
  • @Seton Hall (CBS - N/R, ESPN - 21, USA Today - Others considered (32), SN - 20)
  • @Georgetown (CBS - N/R, ESPN - N/R, USA Today - Others considered (34), SN - N/R)

Possible opponents in the B1G/ACC Challenge (most likely home)

• UNC (CBS - 7, ESPN - 6, USA Today - 1, SN - 2)
  • Duke (CBS - 1, ESPN - 1, USA Today - 5, SN - 4)
  • Syracuse (CBS - N/R, ESPN - 17, USA Today - 13, SN - 12)

Edit:  The B1G is also well represented in the way too early top 25 polls.

• Indiana (CBS - 12, ESPN - 8, USA Today - 18, SN - 10)
  • Michigan State (CBS - 6, ESPN - 13, USA Today - 13, SN - 6)
  • Wisconsin (CBS - 15, ESPN - 9, USA Today - 17, SN - 9)
  • Maryland (CBS - 13, ESPN - 14, USA Today - N/R, SN - 25)
  • pu (CBS - N/R, ESPN - 16, USA Today - N/R, SN - 18)

3 minutes ago, rebelhoosier848891 said:

I would love to see a rematch with UNC at The Hall in the challenge next year!

Definitely a fun game to watch, but it's not been that long ago that UNC got stomp at AH by Cody and the guys.  Doubt they would want to come back.

Definitely a fun game to watch, but it's not been that long ago that UNC got stomp at AH by Cody and the guys.  Doubt they would want to come back.

That's why I could see IU getting Syracuse or Duke at home this season and possibly UNC on the road the following season.