Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naismith

In Tom Crean's Defense...

In my opinion, much about today's college basketball is broken.  When UK is riding high, "something is amiss."  The NCAA isn't running college basketball - the NBA is.  This season's "small" issue is due to ongoing exists by players such as Vonleh and Zeller - as they both could have suited up in Bloomington this year - yet the exit door was laced with money (and I truly don't fault them) while the NCAA is concerning themselves with excessive texting from Sampson.  Son know they are both "developing" in the NBA.

Tom Crean might not be IU's next Bob Knight, but I believe that this has been his best season of coaching yet.  The fact that IU is on the cusp of of a 20 game win season without a player over 6'7" is unbelieveable. Further, if Crean can bring in just a fraction of the "Bigs" that he is fervently pursuing for 2015-2016, then IU's future is brighter than one might suspect.  I wouldn't trade our present back court with anyone on the collegiate planet.   

Well that's something different, a pro Crean thread,the audacity!

Frankly I'm stunned that anyone is defending him. Every last bit of criticism he gets is 150% completely warranted. We kept reading on this board that this was the kind of team he wanted and he'd show his mettle, well the results speak for themselves in possibly missing the NCAAs again.

It should be entirely on him with no excuses and no defending him, after all it's supposed to be his ideal roster construction.

Although I wouldnt have admitted this immediately after the Iowa loss, I agree - to an extent.

We were projected to end up 10th or lower in B1G, and to win half the number of games we won. Compared to that, Crean has done a great job this season. The lack of bigs isn't necessarily his fault, as I'm assuming that there were VERY slim pickings left after Vonleh left last year (likely the reason why Priller and April were offered), with exception of Holt whom I think fans will realize was a steal, as he develops.

We return Yogi, JBJ, Troy, Rojo and the rest of the core, drop the dead weight (*cough* Stan *cough*), and get Thon and/or Bryant (Yes, I know getting either is a stretch, let alone both - let me dream) and were a top 10 team next year. We get a decent, defensive big and develop April, were still solid.

Point is, let Crean have next year to prove himself. Seriously doubt theres any chance he's gone next year or year after unless something absolutely crazy happens.

I love the fanbase and all its insanity/passion, but we gotta chill out.

I disagree wholeheartedly. My decision about replacing Crean is not about a losing skid. It is multifactorial. Crean has consistently done less with more. Crean has lost nearly all the momentum he had gained. He completely mismanaged Vonleh and Zeller to a point. He continues to let little guards guard Bigs and actually defends that decision. He has poor Zone offense and can't seem to figure it out. He's one dimensional as a coach. He has no "feel" for the game. He has poor, inexcusable substitution patterns. He consistently "Crean's" year in and year out. He lost his ability to recruit with the top dogs as he is paid to do. He does not enforce accountability to players who make mistakes ON or OFF the court. Off court and chemistry issues occurring. High occurrence of transfers/cuts of players we could have benefitted from (Abel, Fischer, Roth, Creek). Poor sideline behavior. Confrontational relationships with media and opposing coaches. Doesn't WIN enough. Poor tournament performances. Late season swoons. Recruiting misses galore. Notably confusing and hard to work for. Bad taste about Calbert Chaney, Kenny Johnson, walk-ons skipping out. Stubborn to change.

Oh and did I mention, I question if I know the game better than he does. Seriously!

You forgot to mention his overall defensive philosophy sucks. His halcourt offense sucks. Those are the 2 biggest indicators of success in March.

How many times can we say we are a top ten team next year with a big man. Heard it last year heard it all year this year. Nobody is coming. Sure Crean had a nice start to the year but this is the same classic **** down our pants close to the season. Crean doesn't deserve another year to prove himself. This was his year to prove everyone wrong. Indiana is on the verge of missing the tournament for the second straight season and and 5/7 years during his tenure (first years count don't care). If the fans defending him are happy with him and the way things are going fine, go be proud of those 16th place rings. Indiana deserves better.

I would agree with you 100% if there was a better coach we had any chance of getting by next year (forgot to mention that in initial post). Crean is realistically the best coach available. Stevens sure as hell isnt coming to IU, same with Marshall. Donovan, Smart, and anyone else I have seen mentioned (doesn't mean all, just what I have seen) are long shots at best. We lose Crean, we likely fall back into the CBB abyss, good players would likely transfer, and we're back to where we were when Crean got here, square 1.

I believe it would be best for the program to continue under Crean until a better candidate is absolutely guaranteed. At least better than repeating this whole process under a different, and likely worse coach.

I would agree with you 100% if there was a better coach we had any chance of getting by next year (forgot to mention that in initial post). Crean is realistically the best coach available. Stevens sure as hell isnt coming to IU, same with Marshall. Donovan, Smart, and anyone else I have seen mentioned (doesn't mean all, just what I have seen) are long shots at best. We lose Crean, we likely fall back into the CBB abyss, good players would likely transfer, and we're back to where we were when Crean got here, square 1.

I believe it would be best for the program to continue under Crean until a better candidate is absolutely guaranteed. At least better than repeating this whole process under a different, and likely worse coach.

You are overestimating Creans coaching ability. We are in the abyss. 7 years ago was hell. We won't be going back there. But Crean has us squarely in the abyss.

You have no idea if Stevens, Marshall, or Miller would or wouldn't come. So your arguement is keep Crean bc your scared of change.....

You are overestimating Creans coaching ability. We are in the abyss. 7 years ago was hell. We won't be going back there. But Crean has us squarely in the abyss.

You have no idea if Stevens, Marshall, or Miller would or wouldn't come. So your arguement is keep Crean bc your scared of change.....

Lol. That's pretty presumptious. And a pretty stupid assumption considering you know nothing about me, nor what I fear. I'm not scared of change at all, in fact I look forward to a coaching change. If its a better coach. I'm scared of ending up in a worse position than we were in when Crean got here, with a worse coach. I'm scared of ending up stuck in this cycle.

Don't assume because I'm not trying to assemble a mob outside Crean's door that I like him as a coach, I do not. I repeat, I do NOT like having Crean as our HC. But we could be doing a lot worse. We could also do a lot better, no doubt.

We are not in the abyss right now, record & RPI wise, this is Crean's 3rd or 4th best season (12-13, 11-12, then this season).

In my opinion, much about today's college basketball is broken.  When UK is riding high, "something is amiss."  The NCAA isn't running college basketball - the NBA is.  This season's "small" issue is due to ongoing exists by players such as Vonleh and Zeller - as they both could have suited up in Bloomington this year - yet the exit door was laced with money (and I truly don't fault them) while the NCAA is concerning themselves with excessive texting from Sampson.  Son know they are both "developing" in the NBA.

Tom Crean might not be IU's next Bob Knight, but I believe that this has been his best season of coaching yet.  The fact that IU is on the cusp of of a 20 game win season without a player over 6'7" is unbelieveable. Further, if Crean can bring in just a fraction of the "Bigs" that he is fervently pursuing for 2015-2016, then IU's future is brighter than one might suspect.  I wouldn't trade our present back court with anyone on the collegiate planet.   

Max: 6-8"

Hanner: 6-9"

MSB: 6-9"

April: 6-11"

Four out of 12 active scholly players