Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

seanmm1971

The sky is falling

Yeah I saw him get on Troy pretty hard yesterday too.Not saying Crean's not trying to get thru to them.

I think we have some pretty hardheaded kids on this team.

I'd have to go back and listen to the audio of Crean's presser again to get the actual quote, but Crean said something about Troy's maturity - being able to bounce back from a bad play. The context was that after the bad play/turnover/whatever, Troy was ready to go on the next possession. He compared that to last year where he said Troy would take up to 5 minutes to get past the bad play. Good to see some of these guys "getting it" and growing through the season.

I can't disagree with your statement on hardheaded kids. It looks like some of them (looking at you, Stan) still think that they know better. The puzzler is that CTC keeps putting him (them) in the game.

I'd have to go back and listen to the audio of Crean's presser again to get the actual quote, but Crean said something about Troy's maturity - being able to bounce back from a bad play. The context was that after the bad play/turnover/whatever, Troy was ready to go on the next possession. He compared that to last year where he said Troy would take up to 5 minutes to get past the bad play. Good to see some of these guys "getting it" and growing through the season.

I can't disagree with your statement on hardheaded kids. It looks like some of them (looking at you, Stan) still think that they know better. The puzzler is that CTC keeps putting him (them) in the game.

Can't remember who it was, an opposing coach I believe, that said something along the lines of: "The best thing about Troy is that he doesn't have a conscience", or something like that.

Does anybody remember yesterday when troy actually passed the ball on the break for the three instead of driving into three guys and getting the ball stole. I have never seen crean so happy lol

that was hilarious!! "That's my boy!" Quick punches ensue. It's like it finally clicked for troy to just dump off to wide open elite 3 point shooters

Can't remember who it was, an opposing coach I believe, that said something along the lines of: "The best thing about Troy is that he doesn't have a conscience", or something like that.

Eddie Jordan after the Rutgers game, I believe.

Speaking of yanking...

Does anyone have even the vaguest suggestion as to what Crean is doing with Holt? Once again he comes in and immediately grabs and offensive rebound, gets fouled, and is subsequently jerked from the game, never to be seen again.  I can understand giving Perea a few minutes to start getting back into game shape, but what is the thought process on Holt? To have an athletic 6-10 kid wasting away on the bench makes no sense to me.

What do you mean what Crean is doing with Holt? "Developing" another big man! 

Never the kids fault tho, never!

To the extent that it's the kids who play the game, "yes", it can be their fault. But who's job is it to recruit the various pieces of a puzzle, pieces that aren't just talented, but pieces that can blend together on the court and in the dorm rooms? Who's job is it to instill discipline, not just in their game, but in their lives? Who's job is it to see that these players are committed to developing their game to the extent that it helps the entire team and program, not just their own trajectory to the NBA? Who's job is it to prepare game plans, and who's job is it to make changes in those plans when things go wrong, so his charges can learn to adapt to change and adversity? It may not seem fair, but it's what a coach must do and should be. It's why they make big money, and why there are so few of them worth the money they make. Yes, kids make errors on the court and in life, but it's the coach who takes the heat. It's just how it is. It's how it has to be.

I love it when people try to credit Crean for the development of Oladipo. But then do not think it's his fault when someone like Troy or Hanner fails to live up to his potential. You can't have it both ways.

He plays a huge part in every one of his players development. I give him all the credit in the world for developing Vic, but I also hold him accountable when this team plays horrible defense.

Vic spent all of his free time in Cook Hall, if I am Troy and I made the jump to 30th or 50th or 80th or whatever he is now on the draft boards. I look at Victor Oladipo and say I am just as good an athlete as the 2nd overall pick in the NBA draft, so your telling me all I have to do is put in a little extra time and effort? I realize Vic put in a lot of time and effort, but that is literally the easiest part of the equation.

Troy, so if you are reading this spend a few less minutes per day tweeting and matching your shoes to your outfit and knock down a few jumpers and make 15 mil a year for the next 10 years. - Sincerely Tom Crean

I love it when people try to credit Crean for the development of Oladipo. But then do not think it's his fault when someone like Troy or Hanner fails to live up to his potential. You can't have it both ways.

He plays a huge part in every one of his players development. I give him all the credit in the world for developing Vic, but I also hold him accountable when this team plays horrible defense.

Vic spent all of his free time in Cook Hall, if I am Troy and I made the jump to 30th or 50th or 80th or whatever he is now on the draft boards. I look at Victor Oladipo and say I am just as good an athlete as the 2nd overall pick in the NBA draft, so your telling me all I have to do is put in a little extra time and effort? I realize Vic put in a lot of time and effort, but that is literally the easiest part of the equation.

Troy, so if you are reading this spend a few less minutes per day tweeting and matching your shoes to your outfit and knock down a few jumpers and make 15 mil a year for the next 10 years. - Sincerely Tom Crean

Troy has made some major leaps in his game this year and has clearly put in the time.  Just look at his muscles and strength to see the time he has put in.  

His tweeting and matching of his shoes has nothing to do with any of this and to suggest that him doing that is going to cause him to work less is just wrong.  

Not really sure your point.  I give Crean a lot of credit for the improved Troy this year.  He has not been a disappointment at all.

Troy has made some major leaps in his game this year and has clearly put in the time.  Just look at his muscles and strength to see the time he has put in.  

His tweeting and matching of his shoes has nothing to do with any of this and to suggest that him doing that is going to cause him to work less is just wrong.  

Not really sure your point.  I give Crean a lot of credit for the improved Troy this year.  He has not been a disappointment at all.

Sorry I did go a little heavy on Troy, but the point of my post was that there are lessons to be taught to each player. Troy was easy target  becuase he has arguably the most to gain by putting in work and getting better. Also the best players and the leaders are often times the best players to make an example out of. It proves to your team that nobody in untouchable. I just think he needs to start teaching some lessons when it comes to defense especially.

Troy although much improved still struggles with bad turnovers far too often. This could be his lesson to learn and improve on.

You mentioned strength, maybe Troy and Yogi can get with JBJ in the off season and help him improve this aspect of his game and in turn JBJ and Yogi can get with Troy and help on his shot. If Troy had even an 18 ft jumper he would be gone after this year. Just my opinion.

Sorry I did go a little heavy on Troy, but the point of my post was that there are lessons to be taught to each player. Troy was easy target  becuase he has arguably the most to gain by putting in work and getting better. Also the best players and the leaders are often times the best players to make an example out of. It proves to your team that nobody in untouchable. I just think he needs to start teaching some lessons when it comes to defense especially.

Troy although much improved still struggles with bad turnovers far too often. This could be his lesson to learn and improve on.

You mentioned strength, maybe Troy and Yogi can get with JBJ in the off season and help him improve this aspect of his game and in turn JBJ and Yogi can get with Troy and help on his shot. If Troy had even an 18 ft jumper he would be gone after this year. Just my opinion.

Also, this. Victor has 2,632 tweets and Troy has 45,300 tweets. This is easy to dismiss, but I have heard George Karl say in an interview that NBA GM's look at this stuff to see who is devoted to getting better and who is just getting by and having a good time.

If a veteran NBA coach and a team like the Utah Jazz are taking this into factor then I would say it matters just a little bit.

One thing VERY noticeable.  Troy has improved by leaps and bounds in nearly all facets but one in particular that I'm really impressed with is his FT shooting.  No one can discount it.  The stats prove it.  I think he went from a 67%er to a 77%er or so. 

Go Troy Go! 

PS-I wish the same could be said for the 3 point percentage.  It would take his game to another level.  I know he is working hard on it.

Agree with both of these but it takes time and I think he will improve.  Vic had the same turnover issues his sophomore year (and sometimes as a Junior too) and he couldn't shoot at all his second year.

It has been great to see Troy become his own player this year.  If he adds any sort of a consistent jumper he can be the best player in the B1G.

Agree with both of these but it takes time and I think he will improve.  Vic had the same turnover issues his sophomore year (and sometimes as a Junior too) and he couldn't shoot at all his second year.

It has been great to see Troy become his own player this year.  If he adds any sort of a consistent jumper he can be the best player in the B1G.

Agreed. Sometimes I even forget he is only a Soph. He has been great, and if he improves half and much as he did between last year and this year then we are all in for a show.

Agreed. Sometimes I even forget he is only a Soph. He has been great, and if he improves half and much as he did between last year and this year then we are all in for a show.

HOLY COW! I forgot he was a SOPH as well! I'm a moron, i was thinking he was a JR and gave him no slack, whatsoever. I really need to give him some slack now...seriously

One thing VERY noticeable. Troy has improved by leaps and bounds in nearly all facets but one in particular that I'm really impressed with is his FT shooting. No one can discount it. The stats prove it. I think he went from a 67%er to a 77%er or so.

Go Troy Go!

PS-I wish the same could be said for the 3 point percentage. It would take his game to another level. I know he is working hard on it.

I was going to make this same point last night and forgot. Troy is almost automatic at the line at this point. To pull your overall % up that much means a lot. It wont be long until he is sporting that 80% er

Speaking of yanking...

Does anyone have even the vaguest suggestion as to what Crean is doing with Holt? Once again he comes in and immediately grabs and offensive rebound, gets fouled, and is subsequently jerked from the game, never to be seen again. I can understand giving Perea a few minutes to start getting back into game shape, but what is the thought process on Holt? To have an athletic 6-10 kid wasting away on the bench makes no sense to me.

in what world is holt 6'10?