Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

12 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Secret scrimmage results don’t matter*. 

*unless colorado state beats you by almost 40

And here’s my ‘Purdue will slide’ point.

This year it is pretty clear that Minny will be terrible. Penn State is almost guaranteed to be bottom dwelling too, and Nebraska lost a ton after overachieving to a 9-11 conference record last year.

And Purdue, unlike last year, doesn’t have a double play against any of them.

And that outlook is with a ‘no one hurt last year’ mind set. If Edey or Smith go down?  Hmmmmm

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

This year it is pretty clear that Minny will be terrible. Penn State is almost guaranteed to be bottom dwelling too, and Nebraska lost a ton after overachieving to a 9-11 conference record last year.

Penn State will surprise you.

20 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Penn State will surprise you.

Bailey is supposed to be a strong, ultra-competitive kid, but he is a pretty inefficient scorer. The transfer from Temple is also good. Clary had a nice freshman year but limited minutes. Boyle is a super-slow footed wing that can shoot when open.

So every player that has had success is taking a step up in competition level. And playing with all new teammates.

The transfer from UMKC? terrible shooter. The NC transfers had two years  of opportunities and stunk. 

Wahab is their center; he wasn’t good enough for Maryland.

Maybe Rhodes can squeeze 6 or 7 conference wins out of them, but I can’t see them being good. Anything over 7-13 in conference would very much surprise me. 

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Bailey is supposed to be a strong, ultra-competitive kid, but he is a pretty inefficient scorer. The transfer from Temple is also good. Clary had a nice freshman year but limited minutes. Boyle is a super-slow footed wing that can shoot when open.

So every player that has had success is taking a step up in competition level. And playing with all new teammates.

The transfer from UMKC? terrible shooter. The NC transfers had two years  of opportunities and stunk. 

Maybe Rhodes can squeeze 6 or 7 conference wins out of them, but I can’t see them being good. Anything over 7-13 in conference would very much surprise me. 

They will be better than expected. Tough much raw talent.  Minnesota will be awful. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I mean... Indiana is also relying on an entire roster of big question marks sooo.... The Big Ten as a whole is a big question mark outside of Purdue.

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I mean... Indiana is also relying on an entire roster of big question marks sooo.... The Big Ten as a whole is a big question mark outside of Purdue.

Well…our starting guards aren’t really question marks at all. Not even a little.

And our four question marks from 3-5 are two top ten national ranked players, a top 25 sophomore that was pretty darn good as a freshman in the B1G, and a two year all-MAC player who averaged 13.4 and 8.6. 

Then there is Penn State you contrarian sandwich you!  :)

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well…our starting guards aren’t really question marks at all. Not even a little.

And our four question marks from 3-5 are two top ten national ranked players, a top 25 sophomore that was pretty darn good as a freshman in the B1G, and a two year all-MAC player who averaged 13.4 and 8.6. 

Then there is Penn State you contrarian sandwich you!  :)

Except they are question marks because we have no clue if they'll be able to take the next step as players. Can they hit shots? Can they they handle being the focus of a defense? Can Trey handle being the defensive stopper AND pick up his scoring. This team is a massive question mark. And TJD really left that big of a hole.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Except they are question marks because we have no clue if they'll be able to take the next step as players. Can they hit shots? Can they they handle being the focus of a defense? Can Trey handle being the defensive stopper AND pick up his scoring. This team is a massive question mark. And TJD really left that big of a hole.

So we have very high talent, very high potential question marks, and they have (*checks PSU roster) Puff Johnson.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

And that outlook is with a ‘no one hurt last year’ mind set. If Edey or Smith go down?  Hmmmmm

Smith?  Imo he was one of the main reasons when they struggled last year.  He was baaaaad

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So we have very high talent, very high potential question marks, and they have (*checks PSU roster) Puff Johnson.

Well this year is just a question mark with a massive gap of potential. IMO(and I have it on record, saying it on my podcast), this team could be a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney and competing for a B1G title and it could be a 10 seed. Dudes gotta step up. We lost a lot. Race and Kopp were just role players but TJD is arguably a Top 10 Hoosier of All-Time. Lost the anchor to the offense and defense. I don't think we are in the situation we were in in 2013-2014. Maybe closer to 2016-2017. Lose an all time great, and go into the next season looking for someone to step up and be THE MAN.