Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

4 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Yeah whatever it is that needs to change as a conference, let's lead the charge. I still don't understand (or maybe a better word is buy) the concept that one particular league is supposed to be the best overall and be made up of several great teams but the league plays in a way and is officiated in a way that is detrimental to tourney success. If the league was and teams were great, adjust, and be great. Until some change happens, it's really just the Big Ten being a fraud. 

Why is the Big 1.0 a fraud though?  Identifying a problem is only half the battle, solutions help to fix it.

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why is the Big 1.0 a fraud though?  Identifying a problem is only half the battle, solutions help to fix it.

I think both can be right. If there is a problem, yeah figure out how to fix it as a league. But hearing how great the Big 10 is this year and in the past few seasons, then seeing so many flops in the tourney kind of contradicts that. If the best league with all the great teams continually underperforms when it counts, it's hard to justify the claim that it's such a great league. 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I think both can be right. If there is a problem, yeah figure out how to fix it as a league. But hearing how great the Big 10 is this year and in the past few seasons, then seeing so many flops in the tourney kind of contradicts that. If the best league with all the great teams continually underperforms when it counts, it's hard to justify the claim that it's such a great league. 

Why do they continue to flop?  How do you make them better?

It will be a shame if the Zags go undefeated and win it all. I haven't watched a lot of Gonzaga this year but from what I have have seen they appear to be a very solid team, maybe the best in the nation, but certainly not an all-time team or even great. I can think of several teams from the last decade that appear to be definitively better. 

4 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

It will be a shame if the Zags go undefeated and win it all. I haven't watched a lot of Gonzaga this year but from what I have have seen they appear to be a very solid team, maybe the best in the nation, but certainly not an all-time team or even great. I can think of several teams from the last decade that appear to be definitively better. 

It's going to be hard to stop them.  Maybe Oregon can give them a run early.  Alabama?  Baylor?  I normally root for the zags but i don't want the perfect season matched.......

39 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Honestly I have no idea. It baffles me that the league hasn't had a champion for as long as it has. It baffles me that the Big Ten style doesn't translate to tourney success. 

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Honestly I have no idea. It baffles me that the league hasn't had a champion for as long as it has. It baffles me that the Big Ten style doesn't translate to tourney success. 

It's more than style though.  Look at recruit rankings.  B1G generally gets older with less talent compared to ACC, now SEC, and the best of the PAC12, Kansas (they are a hybrid of getting old and talent)

I realize its not only talent,  but it is a bigger part than anyone acknowledges.  

53 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

My thoughts? I think the Big Ten has a LOT of overrated coaches. Izzo is probably a top 5 coach and Painter top 20. Jury is still out on Howard. If he can get Michigan in the Final Four I'll say he's a top 20 coach. Outside of that, who else from this conference is a top 20 coach in College Basketball right now? I think Holtmann, Underwood, Gard, McCaffery, and Turgeon are decent coaches but I don't think they can make a deep run in the tournament. Hell, Pikiell might be the 3rd or 4th best coach in the Big Ten right now. That's why I'd be happy if IU got Beilein or Beard. Would probably be the second best coach in the Big Ten. 

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It's more than style though.  Look at recruit rankings.  B1G generally gets older with less talent compared to ACC, now SEC, and the best of the PAC12, Kansas (they are a hybrid of getting old and talent)

I realize its not only talent,  but it is a bigger part than anyone acknowledges.  

They both go together.  They have less talent because of the style that’s played in the B1G.    You talk about negative recruiting.  Every other league negative recruits against the B1G because of the style.    IU’s missed out on some recent recruits that had big questions about style.  Sparty just lost a 5 star recruit because of it 

12 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Going out on a limb here, Gonzaga would have killed this year's Hoosiers. You have to play nearly perfect, and you certainly can't miss shots.

Gonzaga, Baylor, and Oregon have looked incredible

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

They both go together.  They have less talent because of the style that’s played in the B1G.    You talk about negative recruiting.  Every other league negative recruits against the B1G because of the style.    IU’s missed out on some recent recruits that had big questions about style.  Sparty just lost a 5 star recruit because of it 

When the NCAA makes points of emphasis like "freedom of movement" at the beginning of the year, does the Big10 just prioritize their own things? I've got to think that's one of the biggest criticisms of Big10 play is just how much physicality there is, off the ball and on. I always sort of roll my eyes when those points of emphasis get called early in the non-conf as typically those don't really matter when Big10 play starts. 

I have wondered how many seniors would come back another year with the rule allowing them to come back.  Watching the losing teams at the end of the games I don't see a lot of them coming back.  it might just be the moment but it looks like a  lot of the ones I have seen looks like they played their last college game.

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/threads/gophers-hiring-ben-johnson.100900/

Here is a link to a Minnesota message board. Kinda funny to see their first reactions to hiring an assistant coach from a Mid/high major program. 

Also, this is the second BIG team to hire an assistant coach with no head coaching experience

9 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Gonzaga, Baylor, and Oregon have looked incredible

Gonzaga plays the game the way I'd like to see IU play.  Players have high IQ, all can handle the ball well, shoot with confidence, and understand what the coach wants and expects. Few really is an excellent coach and teacher.

Edited by rayl456